XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

10-11-2009, 10:20 AM   #1
Rayvkt
Private
Laos
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW X6 xdrive35i

Garage List
Engine Warning Light

I just brought my X6 35i last week, I only drove arround town and the 3rd day I saw the a Yellow Engine lamp came up and it still up there for the past few days, from the owner's manual it explained that it could be some problem with the exaust-gas value or excessive misfiring of the engine or the fuel filler cap might be loose letting air entering the fuel system? I checked that and it's not loose.

Can someone help me how to get rid of the warning lamp? the car still drive normally.

I'm not in the US this car is imported, there is no BMW service center in my country and I don't trust my dealer's mechanics.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-11-2009, 01:52 PM   #2
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvkt View Post
I just brought my X6 35i last week, I only drove arround town and the 3rd day I saw the a Yellow Engine lamp came up and it still up there for the past few days, from the owner's manual it explained that it could be some problem with the exaust-gas value or excessive misfiring of the engine or the fuel filler cap might be loose letting air entering the fuel system? I checked that and it's not loose.

Can someone help me how to get rid of the warning lamp? the car still drive normally.

I'm not in the US this car is imported, there is no BMW service center in my country and I don't trust my dealer's mechanics.

If you search the forum (check engine light) you will see this problem has commonly been due to wrong battery in car or needs a progman update. Without a BMW service center to take it to owning this car is going to be very difficult. Many times fixes to things involve the dealer updating you car's electronics with updates from BMW.

Last edited by dmlgc; 10-11-2009 at 04:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2009, 06:31 AM   #3
Rayvkt
Private
Laos
Rep

Garage List
I think it's probably the fuel cap not tight enough at the second time I refill the tank, some say i must drive at least 200miles to get rid of the light, some say it's a common thing for most bmw, it's actually a new car I don't think there's anything serious.

I'm not sure about removing the negative plug from the bat, they say it'll mess up with other systems such as automatic window.

There's a few Mercedes dealer arround my town, does anyone know if their computer system can get rid of the check engine light on the bmw?
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 10:33 AM   #4
luvbeano
Registered
Rep
Drives: M6 and X6

I also have an 2009 X6 5.0 with a check engine light that comes on repeatedly. My problem, according to the dealer, is the battery being weak. The sequence starts with the check engine light, a few days later it is the date and time are lost, then other symptoms like losing the memory on the one touch buttons. They blame me for not driving enough at highway speeds. I have had the car for 13 months and have driven about 6,000 miles. This has happened about 5 times. The fix: hook the car to a charger overnight. A few times the check engine light as later gone out. I am frustrated that my loaded X6 5.0 is the "wrong car for me" because I live close to work and shopping.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 10:41 AM   #5
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Check how much oil you have in your engine...
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 06:49 PM   #6
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvbeano View Post
I also have an 2009 X6 5.0 with a check engine light that comes on repeatedly. My problem, according to the dealer, is the battery being weak. The sequence starts with the check engine light, a few days later it is the date and time are lost, then other symptoms like losing the memory on the one touch buttons. They blame me for not driving enough at highway speeds. I have had the car for 13 months and have driven about 6,000 miles. This has happened about 5 times. The fix: hook the car to a charger overnight. A few times the check engine light as later gone out. I am frustrated that my loaded X6 5.0 is the "wrong car for me" because I live close to work and shopping.
Are you sure this isn't the infamous wrong battery problem , symptoms match exactly.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2010, 08:34 PM   #7
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Asinine Battery Problem

A kid can install the right battery, the right way into a toy on Christmas morning,
Can a BMW factory assembly line worker install the right battery into the right car?
Apparently NOT !
We keep getting the Same complaint since August '08 ! & we're in what year now ... FEBRUARY 2010 !!
It should be instructions for all x6 buyer's
"When u go to pick up ur long awaited factory ordered car or one that's been sitting on a dealer lot, Make sure u have the Dealer Prep mechanic check the battery part number on the battery installed fr. the factory B4 u sign any paperwork or take the car off the lot!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2010, 10:41 AM   #8
chonko
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 50i/2008 X5 4.8i

Had the same with the X5 during Christmas, but that had to do with the petrol.
Noticed it immediately after filling up at the Shell station, it went away after 400 miles.
Noticed it again a week ago when it was snowing in the mountains, the problem went away after we descended. I suspect this is related to the air filter which I will have to change.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2010, 08:44 PM   #9
Rayvkt
Private
Laos
Rep

Garage List
Problem solved!!!

After driving around for 3 months with the engine light on, had a chance to cross over the boarder to neighbouring country found the BMW SKY AUTOHAUS just 50km from my city. They reported that the daylight driving lamp/angle eyes light on mode made the battery power went below normal wich trigger the check engine light to go on and it's now cleared.

Thanks to BMW SKY AUTOHAUS (Udon, TH.)
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2010, 04:07 AM   #10
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Curious??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayvkt View Post
Problem solved!!!

After driving around for 3 months with the engine light on, had a chance to cross over the boarder to neighbouring country found the BMW SKY AUTOHAUS just 50km from my city. They reported that the daylight driving lamp/angle eyes light on mode made the battery power went below normal wich trigger the check engine light to go on and it's now cleared.

Thanks to BMW SKY AUTOHAUS (Udon, TH.)
What does low battery due to daytime running lites have to do w/ engine warning lite?
there should have been low battery or lights manually left on alarm when u shut the engine off, for the reason they gave u.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2010, 08:06 AM   #11
Rayvkt
Private
Laos
Rep

Garage List
Well, I also questioned the bmw guys too! But that's the computer report, the key reader didn't find any faults, then they pluged in their computer and found out the caurse, they say it could be at one point the battery loss its power when I unlock the car which had the day time lights turned on or the auto light switched on and so on...

I don't know if that's true or not, but it cost only $20 to fix.
Appreciate 0