XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

07-28-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
x6er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x6 35i black on black

X6M enginle oil temperature gauge fluctuating

Hi folks
So, it is a brand new, 1200 Km driven 2013 X6M. left it idling for few minutes while I picked up some groceries to keep the AC for wife and baby stayed behind in the parked car. when I cam back and drovbe off I noticed the oil temp needle passed the mid point by a little but then it fluctuated a couple of times across the mid point, just a dash on both sides of the mid point. I kept an eye on it as I am not used to such a behaviour in BMW (non M) cars. I think that the gauge needle does fluctuate a little here and there some times...my question is, is this normal? I understand that this is the engine oil temp. but shouldn't it reach a temp and stay there then star decreasing may be with car movemenmt, not fluctuating?
any insite, info or opinion would be greatly appreciated. Thx
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #2
BabyBlack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & E90 335i & E71 X6M

I never seen my oil temperature needle fluctuating. IIRC I never seen it get past 100 degree celsius even on that super hot days in Toronto about few weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 04:24 PM   #3
AgentZero
Rep
Drives: A Slow Beast

Being so new I would take it to the dealer. Better safe than sorry and you're still under warranty. It shouldn't be fluctuating like that.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
x6er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x6 35i black on black

Its really not jumping all over, just swings very slightly before it settles. I observed my brother's 2011 328 and it does the same on the way to its final destination of mid mark, so I think its normal.
I will mention it to the dealer just in case.
observe your cars and see if the needle does hesitate or slightly swing while the car is warming up. post your findings for the benefit of all.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #5
coleman318
Registered
Rep
Drives: x5m

This is my first post, but I felt the necessity to say something. M cars obviously run different than the standard bimmers, but I read in the manual you are not supposed to idle M engines for longer than 2 minutes. The engines get too hot and there's no forced air to cool down the engine. Maybe this could be causing the rise in oil temperature. Just some food for thought.
Appreciate 0