XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

08-11-2009, 04:38 PM   #1
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

Engine Malfunction - reduced power

I've had 3 engine malfunction - reduced power events this summer in my X6 35i. All in the heat when I got back on the gas just a little after low to moderate speed cruising. The car hesitated and then the message appeared. The first time I limped all the way home and called BMW. The posited an explanation about an air in the fuel line that I bought because I coincidentally had driven a few miles the day before with my gas cap off. The next two times, I simply pulled off the road at the next convenient point, restarted the engine, and the problem was gone. Most recently I did this less than a minute into limp mode so its clearly some kind of transient event. Has any one had similar experiences? Any explanations?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Have u noted the ambient air & engine oil temperature?? @ each occurence?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #3
Anteater
An Englishman in Chicago......
United_States
Rep
Drives: VR X6 35i

Yes, I had exactly the same problem - first time about a month ago. I thought it may have been linked to the HPFP issue - subsequently replaced 2 weeks ago. The problem then happened again yesterday however - I did the same thing as you did, pulled over, stopped and restarted and it was then fine again. Temperature in Chicago was pretty hot and steamy yesterday, so could be related, but don't recall that it was that hot the first time it happened.

Cheers, Anteater
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 06:25 PM   #4
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

hot (e.g. 92 F today) and normal respectively; and normal acceleration immediately after turning engine off and back on to clear the fault.
I'm told there is data on my key that can be read if I make time to stop by the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2009, 11:40 PM   #5
cheaptrick
cheap
Rep
Drives: 335CIC & 35i X6

Same problem here, they told me I had a kinked vacuum hose that was routed improperly at the factory, they replaced it and runnig better than ever with no more warning lights. Cheap
      08-12-2009, 08:19 AM   #6
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

thanks - that would be a cheap fix if it worked for me
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 08:42 AM   #7
BMWNA
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kojak View Post
I've had 3 engine malfunction - reduced power events this summer in my X6 35i. All in the heat when I got back on the gas just a little after low to moderate speed cruising. The car hesitated and then the message appeared. The first time I limped all the way home and called BMW. The posited an explanation about an air in the fuel line that I bought because I coincidentally had driven a few miles the day before with my gas cap off. The next two times, I simply pulled off the road at the next convenient point, restarted the engine, and the problem was gone. Most recently I did this less than a minute into limp mode so its clearly some kind of transient event. Has any one had similar experiences? Any explanations?
I am with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
      08-12-2009, 09:50 AM   #8
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Kojak please let us know how it turns out and if it is the same problem Cheap experienced. From the looks of this seems like 35i specific issue.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 10:44 AM   #9
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I just spent 2 hrs at the dealer and have a diagnosis and an appointment for a repair
"23383 Fault traced and referred to SI B12 28 07 wastegate in turbo stuck once"
SI B12 is a service bulletin so its a known problem. Service advisor said depending upon what they find in the follow up, they will either repair or replace the wastegate flap.
Got my car washed, dosed with new car smell, and drove it home in the rain all before 11 AM.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 10:46 AM   #10
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW NA Customer Relations View Post
I am with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.
You didn't need to do that; I've simply been waiting to see if the problem would occur. Performance BMW took me in right away this AM and are taking care of me. I am quite happy with them.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #11
quitethesnapper
bimmerlover
Canada
Rep
Drives: the panzer

i had the same problem three times, it was a vacuum leak, first they thought it was a high pressure fuel pump but it was a vacuum leak
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 03:20 PM   #12
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Replacement waste gate actuators out of stock

Well I finally took my 35i in to have the suspected sticky waste gate actuator problem diagnosed and fixed on 9/14. They spent a little more than a day in diagnosis, confirmed the waste gate actuators needed to be replaced, then kept the car a 2nd night expecting to get replacement parts the next day.

But no parts were available.

Instead I got the car back thinking it would be drivable. However, while at the dealer, the symptoms changed from throwing the fault code and going into reduced power mode once a month to every time I stepped on the gas. They had actually temporarily replaced the vacuum lines with transparent hoze and run smoke through it to prove no restrictions. I suspected that theses hoses hadn't been replaced properly but they claimed not and gave me a service loaner.

Its 11 days from the start of this and I'm still driving a service loaner car with no word from the dealer or BMW on when they will have parts to fix my car!

Do any of you have any insight into this?
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 03:37 PM   #13
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Well, just got word that parts were shipped from Germany and should be in next week. Said that none had been available anywhere in the world when my need came up. The ones on their way are fresh from the manufacturer
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2009, 07:30 PM   #14
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Well, just got word that parts were shipped from Germany and should be in next week. Said that none had been available anywhere in the world when my need came up. The ones on their way are fresh from the manufacturer

Glad you finally getting your car fixed but 11 going on 18 days is not acceptable. To me the dealer should have been escalating problem after third day. The fact they initially gave you back a broken car would have me concerned about their competence , something BMWNA should monitor.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 09:06 AM   #15
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Its not fixed yet...hoping for parts next week. The dealer should have made sure the parts we're available before I brought the car in. I gave them plenty of notice. On the other hand, I think the dealer did escalate early to no avail. Further, I get the impression that BMW won't hand out the parts until they've proven they are needed via factory specified tests that often cost more than the parts themselves. I wonder how much of what we pay for these cars is a reserve against warranty costs.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 04:48 PM   #16
NYCGarbagePrince
Major
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

This is the only reason I have chosen to order a 50i. I am turning in my 335 in a few weeks and this happened all the time. My Girlfriend used to freak out when I would throw the car in neutral and turn the car off and back on. I went through 3 HPFPs. I still get limp modes all the time. They don't even phase me anymore, the only thing about the engine that bothers me is when it tells me that my engine oil level is below acceptable levels and may cause engine damage. Even though the oil is at maximum safe capacity. My car was an 07 and had little quirks that I got used to. It was just a little disconcerting to read that continued driving may cause engine damage. The oil problem has to do with a faulty monitering system. Thats why nothing is better than a good old dipstick (Which are not present in the N54).
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2009, 08:22 PM   #17
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Its not fixed yet...hoping for parts next week. The dealer should have made sure the parts we're available before I brought the car in. I gave them plenty of notice. On the other hand, I think the dealer did escalate early to no avail. Further, I get the impression that BMW won't hand out the parts until they've proven they are needed via factory specified tests that often cost more than the parts themselves. I wonder how much of what we pay for these cars is a reserve against warranty costs.
MY recommendation would be to get BMW NA involved and let them help you out as much as possible. They can definitely put pressure on your local dealer and help speed the process along, especially if you need parts that BMW has been slow to want to send out.
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2009, 09:43 AM   #18
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for listening. I'm in wait and see mode now. Overall the BMW is a pleasure to drive but I've been to see the dealer twice over a battery, for the HPFP, and now for the waste gate actuator. That would all have been a small price to pay except for having to drive a service loaner for 2 weeks. I guess when you are on the bleeding edge of automotive technology you should expect to bleed.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 06:06 PM   #19
X6 V8TT
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 5.0

Sounds like your car should be lemon law buy back! Your better off getting a new X6 through BMW. I know great lawyer that can help you with your case. PM me if you need help?
21" Double Spoke Wheels
Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #20
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Finally fixed!

I finally got my car back and it is working and looking like new. This would have been no big deal had the replacement parts been readily available but, unfortunately, they weren't. The piezoneumatic waste gate actuators failed resulting in low boost pressure. The dealer did extensive tests to prove there were no vacuum leaks. After diagnostic proceedure, the waste gates went from occasionally sticking open momentarily to doing that on every acceleration. After waiting 2.5 weeks for the parts, replaced them and declared victory.

BMW has seen this before for the x6 35i (but apparently not other N54 engine models) and has a service bulletin out. Apparently replacement parts are still in short supply so don't bring your car in for the symptoms (rare "engine malfunction reduced power" that clears after a re-start) before verifying availability.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 01:43 AM   #21
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Dreaded BMW version of " Blue Screen of Death"

"Engine Malfunction- Reduced Power" seems to be BMW's equivalent of MS's
"Blue screen of Death" .
I'm @ 30,000km now &
It's happened on my x6 3.5i once, between X'mas & nyr's, but restarted engine & drove fine (thought nothing more of it over the holidays) until today,
i.e. Engine suddenly ran rough & Cntl Message threw up EM-ReP, tried restarting & ran ok for less than 1km. three separate times.
Called for app't to have dealer do their song & dance tomorrow.

Last edited by archwerks; 01-06-2010 at 02:04 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2010, 08:44 AM   #22
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

that 2nd one - ran rough and repeats right away - sounds like your HPFP - that is an easy fix, I've had it done twice. Other possibilities are vacuum leaks in the wastegate control path and wastegate actuator. If its not fixed the first time, make sure they check for a loose wastegate.

My car wasn't finally fixed as I had hoped back in October - I've been back 3 more times since then.
Appreciate 0