XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

12-01-2015, 07:16 PM   #1
rbrobson1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 X5 (E70) xDrive35i

Style 334 Wheels [Black]

I have style 334 19 inch wheels on my 2013 E70. I have had a ton of trouble in the past when upsizing wheel sizes with lower profile tires here in NYC so I think i am going to stick with these wheels (they drive so smooth with all season tires on)... however I am thinking about powder coating them black for a little more sporty look.

Has anyone purchased black style 334 wheels or painted silver ones black? Willing to share pictures? I cannot find any online and I'm afraid at only 19" painted black they may appear as spares / donuts. (thinking high gloss will help).

Any photos or feedback is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 1
      12-01-2015, 11:27 PM   #2
KayTees
Tuned ///M Cars Only
Canada
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C |'20 F97 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrobson1 View Post
I have style 334 19 inch wheels on my 2013 E70. I have had a ton of trouble in the past when upsizing wheel sizes with lower profile tires here in NYC so I think i am going to stick with these wheels (they drive so smooth with all season tires on)... however I am thinking about powder coating them black for a little more sporty look.

Has anyone purchased black style 334 wheels or painted silver ones black? Willing to share pictures? I cannot find any online and I'm afraid at only 19" painted black they may appear as spares / donuts. (thinking high gloss will help).

Any photos or feedback is greatly appreciated!
Me! I was thinking of getting the 214 or the 333 rims but I decided I want something aftermarket so instead I plasti-dipped them black!

This is the matte finish, no glossifier yet.

Appreciate 0
      12-03-2015, 08:44 PM   #3
rbrobson1
United_States
Rep

Wow - Looks great. How do you like them in black?

I was concerned that black would be iffy on 19" wheels... but i think they look great on yours in the second pic!

I my X5 is black so i am thinking that the wheels may look better in a glossy black finish but i am still up in the air on that one. Appreciate the pics let me know if you decide to go glossy.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2015, 11:37 PM   #4
KayTees
Tuned ///M Cars Only
Canada
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C |'20 F97 X3MC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrobson1 View Post
Wow - Looks great. How do you like them in black?

I was concerned that black would be iffy on 19" wheels... but i think they look great on yours in the second pic!

I my X5 is black so i am thinking that the wheels may look better in a glossy black finish but i am still up in the air on that one. Appreciate the pics let me know if you decide to go glossy.
Plasti-dipping it black changes the look drastically and I couldn't be more happier. In Vancouver it rains quite a bit so brake dust/oils stick pretty good to the dip, makes the rim look really dull, one of my buddies with a RS5 dipped his rims too but he did 4 Coats (roughly 1 Can = 4 Coats) of gloss and when it gets dirty, it doesn't look too bad and its actually easier to clean. When my rims get dull/dusty, I use Megiuars Hot Rim Cleaner (Purple), just wet your rim, spray it on, let it eat in and rinse and it should look like when you first dipped it. As for glossy, I'm gonna do it, no doubt about that just really lazy now, you should go right to glossy tho
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2015, 12:12 AM   #5
rbrobson1
United_States
Rep

Awesome- I think I'm going right to glossy black or possibly a polished gunmetal. If you don't mind me asking did you un-mount your tires prior to spraying the rims? Or did you do it all with the rubber still on?

Any tips or pointers?
Appreciate 0