XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-15-2024, 12:00 PM   #1
belinox
Registered
Rep
Drives: X5 2009

Unhappy Occupancy seat malfunction shortly after AirBag recall

Hey guys,

I have a BMW X5 xDrive30d 2009 for about 3 years and never had any significant problems with it.

A few months ago I received a letter from BMW about an airbag recall which seemed quite serious. If I am not wrong it was related to the infamous Takata airbags.

I took it to the dealership late October last year and everything looked fine in principle.

However, a few weeks later I got the dreaded Restraint System Fault.
It happened initially only once as I don't often drive with passengers in the front seat.

However, last month it started happening more often.
So I got in contact with the dealeaship which handled the recall but never got an answer from them!
This was quite frustrating specially taking into account the seriousness of the issue.

Today I went back to the dealership in person and talked with someone.
They booked to check my car in two weeks.

But they tried to scare me away by saying that if the issue is related to the recall the warranty would cover it but if it is not they would charge me hefty and absurd $250 just for the diagnostics of what the issue really is.

I went back home and used my diagnostics scan tool and found out the problem seems to be the passenger occupancy sensor, which is faulty.

So, I need your advice. Is a fault in this sensor related to the airbag replacement recall or could it be just an unfortunate coincidence?
Taking into account the timing of the issue I think it is likely but I would like to have your opinions too.

Thanks a lot in advance.

TLDR:
Passsanger occupancy seat sensor is faulty shortly after a passanger airbag replacement.
Could this be related or is this sensor unnafected by an airbag replacement?

Last edited by belinox; 01-15-2024 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0