XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

03-17-2014, 06:04 PM   #1
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30

Garage List
How safe is it to replace just the torque converter?

Has anyone had to replace only the torque converter and not the whole transmission? I have a feeling that my problem is not in a transmission, but rather in just the torque converter, which is much less expensive component than the whole transmission.

Problem description:
When vehicle is cold (usually in the morning), backing up from driveway, which is up the hill at approximately 45 degrees, could either cause the vehicle to jerk or even stall.

Any input on this issue or past experience with either torque converter or transmission would be greatly appreciated
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #2
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Are you going to DIY?

I'd suggest to consulty a transmission shop, which familiar with ZF trans, for complete diagnose of the problem. I''ve seen many symptoms for many different problems, from mechatronic faulty sensors, to clutch-pack, torque-converter, low fluid etc, they all hard to pin down, most will be jerky, hard shift, not shifting etc.

BTw, the easiest for DIY, would be to get a rebuild complete trans (with up to 1-yr waranty) then send yours in as a core.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 12:59 PM   #3
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by HPIA4v2 View Post
Are you going to DIY?

I'd suggest to consulty a transmission shop, which familiar with ZF trans, for complete diagnose of the problem. I''ve seen many symptoms for many different problems, from mechatronic faulty sensors, to clutch-pack, torque-converter, low fluid etc, they all hard to pin down, most will be jerky, hard shift, not shifting etc.

BTw, the easiest for DIY, would be to get a rebuild complete trans (with up to 1-yr waranty) then send yours in as a core.
I have consulted with BMW dealership. They suggest complete transmission replacement, but they know the problem is not with transmission, but rather with torque converter. Reason they are suggesting transmission is to eliminate any possibility of future problems and not to be responsible for future repairs. I want to understand, if I proceed with torque converter replacement and not transmission replacement, will I still have to deal with transmission in a month or will this fix the problem and give me at least 50-100k miles of no problems?

Last edited by igorbmwx6; 03-18-2014 at 01:33 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 01:31 PM   #4
X2Board
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: I'm back, bitches! '13 E92 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorbmwx6 View Post
I have consulted with BMW dealership. They suggest complete transmission replacement, but they know the problem is not with transmission, but rather with torque converter. Reason they are suggesting transmission is to eliminate any possibility of future problems and to be responsible for future repairs. I want to understand, if I proceed with torque converter replacement and not transmission replacement, will I still have to deal with transmission in a month or will this fix the problem and give me at least 50-100k miles of no problems?
Are you under warranty? If so, the new transmission would be the way to go. (My opinion)
2011 Sapphire Black/Black E70 X5 M - Gone.
2010 Jerez Black/Black E90 M3 DCT -Gone-
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2014, 01:35 PM   #5
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by X2Board View Post
Are you under warranty? If so, the new transmission would be the way to go. (My opinion)
Age-wise, yes, vehicle production date is 2011; however miles-wise no, over 50k miles. I already contacted BMW of NA to see if there are any "good-will" possibilities out there. After 2-months of deliberation, they denied any "good-will" options for this car. Not 100% sure why. Just stated it is out of warranty, over 50k miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 01:00 PM   #6
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Spoke to an owner of a local to me transmission repair shop. He had mentioned that with my description of the issue, it could be related to a faulty valve. Any ideas? To replace a faulty valve - $100 to $1000 job, to replace a transmission - $10,000 job.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 05:01 PM   #7
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

You can peruse here
http://www.thectsc.com/

The valve is really solenoid, it's a relay to activate fluid flow, a combinations of these will engage/disengage specific clutch plate in the transmission.
They are not cheap, you need to drop the trans mission pan, replace all of them (since you don;t know which one), I'd say replace the trans fluid filter and then refill new fluid.

Not sure, it'll fix your problem. Cause, like I said before so many things can go wrong on transmission and no one particular symptoms associated with one problem area, they all fuzzy feeling on transmission.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #8
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I wonder if anyone else has seen similar problem and was able to resolve it without having to replace whole transmission. Considering that this problem only exists when vehicle is cold, I highly doubt that there is a need to replace the whole transmission.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #9
ingenieur
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by igorbmwx6 View Post
I wonder if anyone else has seen similar problem and was able to resolve it without having to replace whole transmission. Considering that this problem only exists when vehicle is cold, I highly doubt that there is a need to replace the whole transmission.
What did Klaus @ http://www.thectsc.com/ recommend?
Appreciate 0