XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-06-2011, 12:29 AM   #23
jsc12345
Private First Class
Philippines
Rep
Drives: C63, X5///M

i think im the only one that doesnt have this problem i have a silverstone x5m with 10,000 miles on it and the car doesnt get the stone chips. where im from has well paved roads a lot of cars where im located doesnt have stone chips either
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 03:46 PM   #24
Werkz12
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2

Update

BMW is standing behind their product and will be taking care of the stone chips on the rear fender flares and rocker panels at no cost. They are aware this a wide spread issue.

They are ordering NEW parts. The parts will be painted and left at the shop to cure for 90 days after being painted. Then, once the paint has cured I can install the new parts and the clear stone guard.
(You cant apply stone guard until paint cures from what Im told)

For those having this work done to your X5, X6 M package cars make sure you get the same set up. If they paint your existing fender flares you will just have stone chips again the second you drive off the lot. So unless you plan to park your truck for 90 days while paint cures you will want to ask BMW to send new parts...

Hope the info is helpful and PM me if you need any details on who I worked with to get things squared away.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 10:38 AM   #25
ericvargas
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 M Package

2012 X5 M package Stone Chips in front of rear Wheels

Last weekend I took my X5/M for a 200 Miles trip to the mountains in Colorado.. when i got back i notice my X5 had developed the same problem describe on this forum. I have call the dealer and the USA customer line here but all they said is that they need to see the car first.
Definitely this issue still there, BMW hasn't change anything in the 2012 model to prevent this problem. I hope this experience turn out to be positive so far is not.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2011, 12:04 PM   #26
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by das144 View Post
X5 M stone chips in front of rear wheels:

I have seen several posts on this topic and alot of pissed off X5 M owners.
I have a case with BMW and the dealer. I will keep everyone posted of the outcome.

Im looking for other X5 or X6 M owners who have the SAME issue.
(Could even be owners with the M package on the X5)
If we can reference each others specific complaints BMW will have a much harder time dismissing the issue. We all know they are aware of this but they claim they are not. When I call them i would love to have 10 different names and case numbers to reference. That will guarantee all of our stone chips are fixed.

Im not ok with a respray. Im expecting BMW to send NEW parts that come factory finished so they can put them on then install some serious stone guard film. With a respray I would need to wait a month before the film can be applied. And in that time you cant drive the car becuase if you do the stone chips will come back. Thats too much down time for me.

I never would have traded in my Range Rover had i known about this issue.
BMW better step up on this one. 100k car and its all banged up after 800 miles. Thats BS! I love my M3 and I love this truck, but I will drop it off at the dealer, not make another payment, and tell BMW to GFY if they cant correct this for me.
Did you read the stone chip posts before you took delivery?
      11-21-2011, 01:29 PM   #27
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Quote:
X5 M stone chips in front of rear wheels:

I have seen several posts on this topic and alot of pissed off X5 M owners.
I have a case with BMW and the dealer. I will keep everyone posted of the outcome.

Im looking for other X5 or X6 M owners who have the SAME issue.
(Could even be owners with the M package on the X5)
If we can reference each others specific complaints BMW will have a much harder time dismissing the issue. We all know they are aware of this but they claim they are not. When I call them i would love to have 10 different names and case numbers to reference. That will guarantee all of our stone chips are fixed.

Im not ok with a respray. Im expecting BMW to send NEW parts that come factory finished so they can put them on then install some serious stone guard film. With a respray I would need to wait a month before the film can be applied. And in that time you cant drive the car becuase if you do the stone chips will come back. Thats too much down time for me.

I never would have traded in my Range Rover had i known about this issue.
BMW better step up on this one. 100k car and its all banged up after 800 miles. Thats BS! I love my M3 and I love this truck, but I will drop it off at the dealer, not make another payment, and tell BMW to GFY if they cant correct this for me.

Did you read the posts on the stone chip issue before you took delivery?
      11-21-2011, 02:44 PM   #28
Forster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, S54 Mcoupe

Quote:
BMW is standing behind their product and will be taking care of the stone chips on the rear fender flares and rocker panels at no cost. They are aware this a wide spread issue.

They are ordering NEW parts. The parts will be painted and left at the shop to cure for 90 days after being painted. Then, once the paint has cured I can install the new parts and the clear stone guard.

For those having this work done to your X5, X6 M package cars make sure you get the same set up. If they paint your existing fender flares you will just have stone chips again the second you drive off the lot. So unless you plan to park your truck for 90 days while paint cures you will want to ask BMW to send new parts...

Hope the info is helpful and PM me if you need any details on who I worked with to get things squared away.
This is so good to know! Thank you for the info.... Greatly appreciated!
      11-23-2011, 08:05 PM   #29
DMAN_CT
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5

Quote:

I cannot pm you because I have less than 5 posts but I would appreciate if you could e-mail me who you worked with. My e-mail is dotnetcoder@live.com. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2011, 07:51 PM   #30
Werkz12
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 997.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalberti View Post
Did you read the posts on the stone chip issue before you took delivery?
no. if i had read the posts before I would have known it was an issue and demanded they install the clear stone guard before I took delivery.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 02:54 PM   #31
ramsal
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 X5 & 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by huxtea2 View Post
The dealer just called me back after talking to their Regional for BMW Canada. According to my dealer, BMW Canada are well aware that this as a major problem for the X5 M-Sports and X5Ms. I was told because these vehicles represent only 1-2% of total Canadian sales, there was no recall issued. Apparently, BMW Canada are working with the dealers to resolve matters on an individual basis. They are not issuing new factory-direct rocker panels and fender flares, but they will reimburse the dealer for the cost of having the parts professionally painted. My dealer is also paying for the cost of the PPF.

So for me there's no change since yesterday... rockers/flares get painted on Weds, and they apply the PPF the first week of May.

I do feel somewhat vindicated that BMW Canada have acknowledged they are well aware of this issue.

So for you guys calling BMWNA and getting the same response "we have not heard of this issue" kindly refer them to BMW Canada.

Can anyone confirm if BMW Canada still acknowledges that this an issue on the 2013 models? I just spoke to my local dealer and after informing them that back in 2011 this was acknowledged.

I was told that BMW has changed their policy since then and they no longer reimburse local dealers for fixing this problem. I was asked to come in so they can have a look and take some pictures. I clarified that it may not look bad now (after ~1000km) but i'm concerned how it is going to look when I have 20 or 30k on it.

Has anyone had success getting dealers to fix the problem on the 2013s? Some recent anecdotal evidence would be helpful when i go in to speak with them. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 02:59 PM   #32
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I have a 2011 M Sport and must say that I personally don't have extensive damage to the point where I would feel I'd need to take the truck in. And I have 43K miles...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #33
rennis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70 5.0 & B5 S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I have a 2011 M Sport and must say that I personally don't have extensive damage to the point where I would feel I'd need to take the truck in. And I have 43K miles...
I have a 2011 M Sport with 52k and it DOES have the damage. Seeing as how it was purchased CPO, I doubt I'll have any recourse.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #34
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Here is what mine look like right now:

So you can tell some light chipping in the last pic...
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2013, 09:02 PM   #35
Tmonte
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 X5M,'13 Panamera,'11 Caynn

Same exact problem. 2013 X5M, Saphire Black. Dealer told me this is a common issue that just have to live with it. They won't do anything for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2013, 07:56 AM   #36
Chio
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp Xdrive

Garage List
2018 S6  [10.00]

So you can tell some light chipping in the last pic...[/QUOTE]

for a 2011 that does not look bad! i had clear bra put on 2 days after i got the car!
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 07:23 AM   #37
Joe Bertrani
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 M/Package

Frustrated Also

I have the same problem, I have 3k miles 2013 X5 Alpine White M-package. And I am very frustrated with BMW! My dealer won't do anything for me! They should have a re-call! It's been years of complaints from what I see in this thread! Shame on BMW! Don't know what to do next!
Joseph Bertrani
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 11:11 AM   #38
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bertrani View Post
I have the same problem, I have 3k miles 2013 X5 Alpine White M-package. And I am very frustrated with BMW! My dealer won't do anything for me! They should have a re-call! It's been years of complaints from what I see in this thread! Shame on BMW! Don't know what to do next!
Joseph Bertrani
Heres what you need to do: Get a respray on those arches and affected areas, Then get your dealer or trusted installer to put 3m or some similar type of protective film in the affected areas. I did this at 2k miles now coming up on 22 and everything looks perfect.

2018 M6 Gran Coupe Competition- Singapore Grey/Aragon Brown
DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 10:25 PM   #39
rennis
Captain
Rep
Drives: E70 5.0 & B5 S4

I have a friend who manages some automotive paint shops in my region, and we talked about this issue last night. He reports that with the newest technology in stone guard films, they "breathe" without losing any protective abilities, and can be applied over freshly painted surfaces sometimes in only 2 or 3 days after being sprayed.

I will probably wait until Spring to give this a shot as I have other priorities for the X in the meantime, but I'll update here for sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 07:04 AM   #40
Joe Bertrani
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5 M/Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmomo313 View Post
Heres what you need to do: Get a respray on those arches and affected areas, Then get your dealer or trusted installer to put 3m or some similar type of protective film in the affected areas. I did this at 2k miles now coming up on 22 and everything looks perfect.
I thank you for the advise, I just feel BMW should pay not me!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 07:32 AM   #41
Chio
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp Xdrive

Garage List
2018 S6  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bertrani View Post
I thank you for the advise, I just feel BMW should pay not me!
if you feel like going that way then hope you enjoy an endless fight! because your probably not going to win! also i installed 3m on mine 2 days after getting my car and it is still not perfect but mine is a lease so it is fine for 2 years! best of luck
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 09:27 AM   #42
eieio35
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5m

I have the same problem. I even have the painted peeling off the plastic on the front air dam in the center.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 10:16 AM   #43
eieio35
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5m

paint peeling

Here is my paint damage on the front air dam. I also have rock chips and peels at the rear wheel wells and behind.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-06-2013, 02:09 PM   #44
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by eieio35 View Post
Here is my paint damage on the front air dam. I also have rock chips and peels at the rear wheel wells and behind.
That is not normal. Was it repainted at some point?
Appreciate 0