XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-28-2011, 02:00 PM   #1
bf900
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

BMW Warranty - Transferable or Not!

Hello everyone,

Anyone out there import a BMW vehicle from the USA with factory warranty remaining and had to take to a Canadian BMW delearship for warranty work?

* I've been told that the warranty is transferable betweem US and Canada.

* I've been told that I can import a BMW without having to change over the speedo cluster. The BMW will pass all inspections etc...

*I've now been told that BMW Canada and by extension it's dealerships will ONLY honour the warranty if you change the cluster. (technicall the warranty is trasnferable but..only if you follow their tax grabbing rules)

I'm trying to get to the bottom of this.. before I import my US Spec 2011 X5 35d into Canada. (I'm currently working oversea's)

Any real life experience with this would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 03:00 PM   #2
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

The simplest answer is to call a BMW dealer in Canada and give them your VIN. Ask them if they will honor the warranty.

You can also call BMWNA.

From what I have heard from all the various forums is Canada BMW dealers will honor the basic warranty. If you paid for maintenance service, that won't transfer.

Last edited by chuck92103; 02-28-2011 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 07:56 AM   #3
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

I would definitely call, if you buy and live in the US, take a trip to Canada, the deal is that they will warranty service your BMW, but if you live in Canada, buy and import from the US, you will want to check, I had a Mazda that I imported from Canada to the US and the warranty came with it, but most companies are getting wise to the buy in the US and import to Canada to save money and they are generally doing what they can to stop it - including messing with warranty. For a lot of the american made cars, they won't deny warranty if you import to Canada, but a lot of dealers have been instructed to not make it easy and schedule the paying customers first, resulting in weeks to get your car in for warranty service.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
BabyBlack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & E90 335i & E71 X6M

don't know about the bumper to bumper warranty. But my friend bought an e90 from US and he was told by the dealer(Canada) that the maintenance warranty is not cover, so he has to pay for the oil change.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 03:53 PM   #5
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

I have heard that the maintenance definitely doesn't transfer.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 09:54 PM   #6
kennyt
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M

US free maintenance includes brakes, Canada does not. All fluid changes are included in the Canadian free maint. program. For example, oil change and brake fluid change are included. Remember the dealer is charging their service on your vehicle back to BMW NA so no reason for them to refuse you. Get to know your service advisor/manager and be professional/friendly when dealing with them and you can get a lot of things done w/out hassle.

You don't need to tell the dealer where you vehicle comes from. Just call to book an appointment for warranty work and hand them the key. They'll read the info from your key and if the issue is not wear & tear, it's covered.

Toyota and Honda are fuzzing about honoring US warranty in Canada. Two friends bought a toyota and a honda in the US and had had their cars serviced at dealers in Canada under warranty w/out any issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2011, 04:30 AM   #7
samsungboy
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 330XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by bf900 View Post
Hello everyone,

Anyone out there import a BMW vehicle from the USA with factory warranty remaining and had to take to a Canadian BMW delearship for warranty work?

* I've been told that the warranty is transferable betweem US and Canada.

* I've been told that I can import a BMW without having to change over the speedo cluster. The BMW will pass all inspections etc...

*I've now been told that BMW Canada and by extension it's dealerships will ONLY honour the warranty if you change the cluster. (technicall the warranty is trasnferable but..only if you follow their tax grabbing rules)

I'm trying to get to the bottom of this.. before I import my US Spec 2011 X5 35d into Canada. (I'm currently working oversea's)

Any real life experience with this would be greatly appreciated...

Cheers
Hi, i am in the same situation that I would like to import 2011 x5 35i to Canada (Vancouver). After hours of research, here is what i have found.

(Please refer to the official BMW Canada site
http://crm.bmw.ca/content/pressRelea...fs.asp?lang=en
http://crm.bmw.ca/content/pressRelea...fs.asp?lang=en
)

Here is a summary.

1) New car limited warranty is transferable ONLY IF you are following BMW Canada import procedures
2) Scheduled Maintenance is NOT covered
3) CPO (Certified Pre-owned Program) warranty is NOT transferable

When you import the vehicle, you will need a recall clearance letter, which can be obtained from US BMW dealer where you purchase the vehicle from. They have different name for this but do not matter. RIV will accept it.
As we know we do not need to install the cluster on x5. Just make sure DRL is on.

HOWEVER, in order to follow BMW Canada import procedure, you will have to get the recall clearance letter from BMW Canada, which they charge you $500 plus delay of 7-10 business days.
And they will require you to install cluster and have inspection done at the Canadian dealership. I found this info on other forum that they charge up to $3,000 for this.

I'd like to share some of the info i found and you might have. could you PM me? since i can't send PM to you?
Appreciate 0