XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-04-2014, 01:03 AM   #1
MileHiGolfer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 m550i

Snow tires or all-seasons for Denver?

Yep, still trying to find that perfect 50i before my F10 lease is up, the rare multi-contours are limiting my choices. My favorite wheel option is the sport activity 20" (336). Unfortunately they come with a summer tire unlike the less attractive 19" which has the more convenient all-seasons. Decisions, decisions. I see that there are some all-season tire options for the 20", is anyone running them? From what I've read, most have dedicated snows, but that was mostly M owners anyway. I've always just had all-seasons and gotten around fine in Denver snow, though I'm sure dedicated snows are that much better. Just not sure I want to drop a few extra grand on some in a few months.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2014, 07:06 AM   #2
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey X5M

I prefer the peace of mind that having dedicated snow tires and wheels gives me.
      04-04-2014, 07:22 AM   #3
Glaciers
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 XDrive 35d SAV

i'm new to the forums, from Denver, and just picked up an X5d with sports package so it has the bigger 20" wheels, 315's in the rear. from my own experience with my previous rear wheel drive 335d, and from what i gathered on this forum, there is no substitute for snow tires. and if your doing any mountain driving, snow tires are MUCH MUCH safer. the amount of grip i get with snow tires on a BMW is substantial and very reassuring.

that being said, the only all-season tire that i hear a lot about on this forum are the Continental DWS, but they are not runflat, and i have a big problem with that. there is a lot security and comfort that comes with knowing i'm driving on runflats. i also do not want to spend upwards of $2000 again for run flat winter tires and wheels for Denver city and suburb non-mountain driving. if there isn't a good runflat all-season option out there by the time i need tires, i am going to buy the non-runflat Continental DWS and a spare tire kit. i know the DWS will suffice because of how my runflat summer Bridgestone Duelers have handled Denver's weather from february to now.
Appreciate 0