XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-27-2014, 11:49 PM   #1
jashy247
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X5 50i M Sport

x5 50i Meisterschaft Exhaust

Hey guys, this is my first post even though I have been following this forum religiously over the past year I have owned my car. I have a 2013 X5 50i and I just installed a Brand New Meisterschaft GTC exhaust today. I have a couple questions that I cannot find anywhere on the forum and wanted to see if anyone could help.

1) As soon as I picked if up and started the engine, I could tell that it was a bit quieter than I had expected. I wanted to see if there is any way I can make it louder because honestly, there is no reason why I got a GTC, its not THAT LOUD and I would never need to turn the flap to the "Close" Position. Can I remove some resonators or any cats? What do you guys suggest?

2) I just ordered a K&N intake for my car and should be coming soon, is there a DIY anywhere out there for my engine? Could not find that either.

Thanks in advance for your help and here are some pictures of my whip!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 12:46 AM   #2
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Exhaust do get louder over time, as the packing material within burns off a bit.

Also an intake will make the roar of the engine louder too. More so than an exhaust IMO. At least in-cabin...

You could add down pipes, but ultimately a muffler dictates overall sound output.
      03-28-2014, 04:34 PM   #3
jashy247
Enlisted Member
Rep

I agree that it will become a little louder but if I'm still not happy with the exhaust what would you suggest me doing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post
Exhaust do get louder over time, as the packing material within burns off a bit.

Also an intake will make the roar of the engine louder too. More so than an exhaust IMO. At least in-cabin...

You could add down pipes, but ultimately a muffler dictates overall sound output.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
upstate650
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 650xi Gran Coupe Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW M340xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jashy247 View Post
I agree that it will become a little louder but if I'm still not happy with the exhaust what would you suggest me doing?
I doubt the seller will take a return, so your only option would be to sell it.
2014 BMW 650xi Gran Coupe Msport Black Sapphire Metallic on full black merino leather. 20" M5 343M wheels for summer, 20" 373 wheels for winter with Nokian Hakkapeliitta 8 studded snow tires. M6 CP exhaust with M6 Diffuser and ///M Performance carbon fiber finisher. Mission Performance stage 1.5 and transmission tune.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
mitch808
Captain
Rep

To make the exhaust louder, you would need different mufflers. catalytics and resonators really only change some of the higher tones and normally add "raspyness," to an exhaust.

How about thinking of an e-cutout added in before the mufflers?

Also if I look here:
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/m...-p-104611.html
It says this:
Meisterschaft GTC exhaust systems include electronically controlled exhaust valves, allowing the end user to control the overall tone of the exhaust. Closed valves offer the quietest sound, while full open valves will showcase the loudness of a truely open exhaust. The valves can be set anywhere in between to get any unique combination of sporty or loud.

Do you have this? Can you leave it open?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 05:25 PM   #6
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F30 335i MSport

Removing the cats will definitely make it louder.
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

Get catless down pipes, my exhaust got considerably louder when I got the cat less pipes. I also needed a tune to turn the CEL from not cats off. I think Supersprint sells catless pipes that have the non fowlers so you don't need a tune and the CEL stays off. The Meichercraft exhaust I heard on an X5M with cat less pipes was super loud....over the top in your face loud. I would get the pipes and a tune your rig will be a whole new beast.
      03-28-2014, 06:11 PM   #8
mitch808
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikew2069 View Post
Removing the cats will definitely make it louder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35 View Post
Get catless down pipes, my exhaust got considerably louder when I got the cat less pipes. I also needed a tune to turn the CEL from not cats off. I think Supersprint sells catless pipes that have the non fowlers so you don't need a tune and the CEL stays off. The Meichercraft exhaust I heard on an X5M with cat less pipes was super loud....over the top in your face loud. I would get the pipes and a tune your rig will be a whole new beast.

Perhaps you're hearing the raspy-ness or higher pitched sounds more so now, as a perceived loudness?

Removing a cat doesn't really change things as much but more of the higher pitched sounds get through e.g. turbo turbine/whine, raspy exhaust notes, etc.

Again the muffler is the major factor, and it's what actually "muffles," the sound.

Then again, if you could hear more of the turbo sounds, that might make you happy enough? It would me.
      03-29-2014, 12:01 AM   #9
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Perhaps you're hearing the raspy-ness or higher pitched sounds more so now, as a perceived loudness?

Removing a cat doesn't really change things as much but more of the higher pitched sounds get through e.g. turbo turbine/whine, raspy exhaust notes, etc.

Again the muffler is the major factor, and it's what actually "muffles," the sound.

Then again, if you could hear more of the turbo sounds, that might make you happy enough? It would me.
The muffler is definitely a major factor in determining the volume/tone/note of the exhaust but the materials in the cat is the first thing the sound waves hit and is also a huge factor.

If you have a catback and its not loud enough, remove your cats and it will be loud enough. Trust
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 12:44 AM   #10
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep

Cats are also a huge restriction in flow, removing them increases the volume considerably.

I have tuned several dozen cars now and removing the cats ALWAYS makes the the exhaust louder and also changes the tone. You certainly hear the turbo whistle as well once the cats are removed.

Here is what a cat looks like it's over 12" of this stuff.

It looks similar to a honeycomb and even has insulation to help reduce sound.

Gutted cats

This is what the X5 has in it's cats.

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 03-29-2014 at 01:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 08:06 AM   #11
mikew2069
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Cool pics. Next time I go to purchase a catless dp, I think I might just try gutting the stock dp like that. A hell of a lot cheaper for the same result!
2016 F15 50i ///M-Sport
BM3/H&R/Borla
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #12
jashy247
Enlisted Member
Rep

Yep I have that and trust me, its always open!!

Quote:
To make the exhaust louder, you would need different mufflers. catalytics and resonators really only change some of the higher tones and normally add "raspyness," to an exhaust.

How about thinking of an e-cutout added in before the mufflers?

Also if I look here:
http://www.vividracing.com/catalog/m...-p-104611.html
It says this:
Meisterschaft GTC exhaust systems include electronically controlled exhaust valves, allowing the end user to control the overall tone of the exhaust. Closed valves offer the quietest sound, while full open valves will showcase the loudness of a truely open exhaust. The valves can be set anywhere in between to get any unique combination of sporty or loud.

Do you have this? Can you leave it open?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 01:41 PM   #13
jashy247
Enlisted Member
Rep

Hmmm that's really interesting, jut curious but would that cause any errors to come up? Also is it easy to get access to that area? I wanted to see if a shop would be able to do that or maybe if you're in the Washington DC area..I'm definitely interested in trying that out!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35 View Post
Cats are also a huge restriction in flow, removing them increases the volume considerably.

I have tuned several dozen cars now and removing the cats ALWAYS makes the the exhaust louder and also changes the tone. You certainly hear the turbo whistle as well once the cats are removed.

Here is what a cat looks like it's over 12" of this stuff.

It looks similar to a honeycomb and even has insulation to help reduce sound.

Gutted cats

This is what the X5 has in it's cats.

Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 01:47 PM   #14
mitch808
Captain
Rep

Its technically against federal law and probably some state laws to do that, so no legitimate shop would do that for you. ;-p. That is all DIY.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2014, 12:57 AM   #15
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm that's really interesting, jut curious but would that cause any errors to come up? Also is it easy to get access to that area? I wanted to see if a shop would be able to do that or maybe if you're in the Washington DC area..I'm definitely interested in trying that out!
It's easy enough to do, they aren't bad to get at take your engine cover off and look near the fire wall you can see the top of them with the clamps to un-do them. I live in western Canada so sorry I am not close to you at all.
      03-30-2014, 12:57 PM   #16
Joey.Donatelli
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5C

Quote:

2) I just ordered a K&N intake for my car and should be coming soon, is there a DIY anywhere out there for my engine? Could not find that either.

I didn't think that K&N made a filter for the 50i. Can you post a link to the filter you bought?

Also, this thread should help with the install.
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...+tuning&page=2
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2014, 12:32 PM   #17
jashy247
Enlisted Member
Rep

You are absolutely right, I accidentally bought the filter for the X5M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey.Donatelli View Post
I didn't think that K&N made a filter for the 50i. Can you post a link to the filter you bought?

Also, this thread should help with the install.
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showt...+tuning&page=2
Appreciate 0