XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-08-2016, 12:24 AM   #1
j6yd
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 50i & Dog Powered Longboard

An oil leak, some advice or input?

I've been getting a few drips on my garage floor so I decided to jack her up and take a quick look..

I wiped what looks like a cam shaft speed sensor next to the oil filter and it kept pooling and moved a little when prodded, do they have a gaskets and two why is there oil coming from it?

I didnt have my socket set to hand so I'll removed the skid plate tomorrow and have a better look. I cleaned everything I'm just hoping that it isnt too much of a pain.

Just behind the oil filter

https://www.dropbox.com/s/de2s239sqe...31403.jpg?dl=0

The sensor in question

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5xdrpaq3i5...30538.jpg?dl=0

Any input would be appreciated

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 06:09 AM   #2
racermp
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 330i

Probably the oil filter housing gasket, common
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 06:27 AM   #3
Qarban
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 and E70 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by racermp View Post
Agree... And also maybe the valve cover gasket, also common
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 10:00 AM   #4
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Yea at 105,000 miles now my 2012 35ixdrive was leaking from oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket and oil housing gasket, all have been fixed and otherwise been bulletproof.

You'd think the engineering prowess of BMW engineering could develop an award winning engine not to get a case of Ebola and start bleeding from every where.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 10:31 AM   #5
j6yd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by racermp View Post
Thanks, i've just trolled the web for an explosion diagram and I can't seem to even find that assembly dammit!

I need a oil change so I'll do it all at the same time I'm thinking

Last edited by j6yd; 04-08-2016 at 12:12 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 10:40 AM   #6
j6yd
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qarban View Post
Valve cover looks good.. Nothing upwards of the filter is remotely dirt with oil residue, infact it looks brand new.

Its just made so much of a mess I'm thinking it might also be the trans gasket but I'll have a proper clean and asses after a few miles - I mean I'm burning a litre every 7-800miles.

Quote:
Yea at 105,000 miles now my 2012 35ixdrive was leaking from oil pan gasket, valve cover gasket and oil housing gasket, all have been fixed and otherwise been bulletproof.

You'd think the engineering prowess of BMW engineering could develop an award winning engine not to get a case of Ebola and start bleeding from every where.
I'm at 79k The oil pan could be another possibility! Did you do all the work yourself?

dare I say my N63 has been sweet until the last week , I can handle gaskets but I look after this thing - 6k oil changes etc etc

I need to get mine in for the custom care bulletin but if I'm honest I'm nervous about them screwing up an otherwise perfectly running car (minus the thirst for oil and recent leak)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 10:54 AM   #7
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by j6yd
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qarban View Post
Valve cover looks good.. Nothing upwards of the filter is remotely dirt with oil residue, infact it looks brand new.

Its just made so much of a mess I'm thinking it might also be the trans gasket but I'll have a proper clean and asses after a few miles - I mean I'm burning a litre every 7-800miles.

Quote:

I'm at 79k The oil pan could be another possibility! Did you do all the work yourself?

dare I say my N63 has been sweet until the last week , I can handle gaskets but I look after this thing - 6k oil changes etc etc

I need to get mine in for the custom care bulletin but if I'm honest I'm nervous about them screwing up an otherwise perfectly running car (minus the thirst for oil and recent leak)
Ahhhh the n63 ! I think theirs a bracket up front by the alternator or somewhere around their that leaks also.

Did the work myself minus the oil pan gasket as it involves lowering the subframe and don't have the time to tear that up so got a loaner and had the dealer do it. Figure 2 year unlimited mileage warranty was worth having them do it. Plus price was negotiable .

Mines an n55 so totally different. Good luck on tracking it down!
Appreciate 0