XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-27-2017, 03:33 PM   #1
Diesel X5
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5 35d X

Garage List
Squealing Brakes

I have searched this great site on issues about squealing brakes but I'm still baffled about my brakes. I had BMW install new brakes all-around 6000 miles ago and I'm on my third set of front rotors being replaced as they're telling me they are warping. But my biggest concern is the last two months with the cold weather my brakes squeak so loud it's driving me nuts. When the weather warms up, no squealing at all. BMW ended up chamfering my pads and it did nothing, Now it's going back to the dealer again and I'm just wondering if someone with some mechanical knowledge can give me some insight as to why they squeal when the weather is, cold but are fine when it's warm outside.

Oh ya I now know now what my first mistake was.....
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2017, 10:08 PM   #2
Diesel X5
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Update, Today BMW took all the brakes apart cleaned everything up and chamfered front and rear pads. They tell me it's because they have no asbestos in them and it's the brake dust that causes them to squeal like a taxi cab. I hope it works as I'm tired of getting the looks like you drive a nice vehicle but you can't afford brakes.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 01:49 AM   #3
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Maybe go aftermarket and put anti squeal on the back of the pads when installing. Bleed the brakes and Make sure you properly bed-in the pads and rotors to prevent warping. I kind of think your problem is the dealership.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 06:51 AM   #4
cmyx6go
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6///M Comp

Garage List
2019 X6 ///M  [10.00]
I'm assuming you're talking an E70 being this is the E70 forum....

Brakes on all my previous BMWs - E53, E70, & E71 - only squealed when brakes were dirty from the accumulated brake dust. My F86 however is ridiculous and sounds like an old school bus EVERY FREAKIN TIME I HIT THE BRAKES. It makes my ears bleed. I have heard that it has something to do with the composition of the brake pads. I thought it was specific to the M brakes but maybe they changed the materials they use in all the brake pads?

Either way, it is very annoying.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 10:05 AM   #5
Diesel X5
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jandref321 View Post
Maybe go aftermarket and put anti squeal on the back of the pads when installing. Bleed the brakes and Make sure you properly bed-in the pads and rotors to prevent warping. I kind of think your problem is the dealership.
Aftermarket will be my next choice for brakes. I went with Bmw as my original factory brakes lasted 55000 miles and that's with towing a trailer which I thought was good.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 10:22 AM   #6
Diesel X5
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmyx6go View Post
I'm assuming you're talking an E70 being this is the E70 forum....

Brakes on all my previous BMWs - E53, E70, & E71 - only squealed when brakes were dirty from the accumulated brake dust. My F86 however is ridiculous and sounds like an old school bus EVERY FREAKIN TIME I HIT THE BRAKES. It makes my ears bleed. I have heard that it has something to do with the composition of the brake pads. I thought it was specific to the M brakes but maybe they changed the materials they use in all the brake pads?

Either way, it is very annoying.
Your right about being annoying, They tell me they did change the composition in the past because of the asbestos being illegal. Also the squealing is mostly from the front brakes as the larger the brakes the more the squeal.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 12:45 PM   #7
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

There is no such thing as warped rotors. It's a myth. BMW is about as clueless to the problem as you.

That said, pad material, backing plate quality, or small pebbles stuck somwhere are all common reasons.

changing to a ceramic pad compound over semi-metallic is an option
greasing well and using anti-squeal gel/paste behind the pads are usually the first place to start. replacing parts willy nilly is absurd, but makes the customer feel great.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 06:51 PM   #8
Diesel X5
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post
There is no such thing as warped rotors. It's a myth. BMW is about as clueless to the problem as you.

That said, pad material, backing plate quality, or small pebbles stuck somwhere are all common reasons.

changing to a ceramic pad compound over semi-metallic is an option
greasing well and using anti-squeal gel/paste behind the pads are usually the first place to start. replacing parts willy nilly is absurd, but makes the customer feel great.
I may not be mechanically inclined but the problem was not just the squealing brakes,it was also the shake in the steering wheel as we'll.
BMW change the rotors that they say we're warped and the steering shake went away and may have had something to do with the squealing. Unfortunately I had to return to the dealer for them to try to solve the problem. It must be the pad material they use but as of today no more annoying squeal but it's a warm day here, I'll see what next week brings when the temperature drops.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 11:50 PM   #9
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

@Mitch808 is right. What you're feeling are pad deposits being formed on the rotor surface, which then harden to diamond like deposits. You will feel a judder under high or hard braking conditions.

There's an excellent article from Stoptech here
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2017, 02:14 AM   #10
jandref321
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
@Mitch808 is right. What you're feeling are pad deposits being formed on the rotor surface, which then harden to diamond like deposits. You will feel a judder under high or hard braking conditions.

There's an excellent article from Stoptech here
http://www.stoptech.com/technical-su...nd-other-myths
SCIENCE! Nice! I'm surprised I've never come across this before...I generally always hear "bed-in the brakes or the rotors will warp." I wonder how many people know the real answer but still call it a warped rotor since that is an accepted explanation.
Appreciate 0