XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-20-2012, 02:49 AM   #1
Dinan-M
Dinan-M
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M5

Garage List
To Lower or not to Lower..That is Question?

I just order a 2013 X5M, and I'm thinking about droping it 2" and have hear some of the story here about the ride quality. Just looking for some input from those who have had it done. I have seen guys on forum talk about how the ride quality is when they have lower their X5Ms vs. leaving on the stock springs. I love the look, but was wonder is look worth the ride? Yes, I know they make two types H&R springs but if I lowered it I would go for 2" drop. I have H&R on my M5 and I feel the bumps ever now and then. Since the X5M weigh so much more than M5 is it worth it?

Question 1. Those with X5M that went with H&R springs do you regret it?
Question 2. Have you thought about putting back on stock?
Question 3. Do look mean more to you than the ride comfort?
Question 4. Do you plan on driving your X5M off road, or is it just for street use only?

Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2012, 10:33 AM   #2
Forster
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, S54 Mcoupe

Lower it!

I lowered my X5M on H&R 2in springs back in the beginning of January. The truck is now in the shop getting KW V3 coils haha.. I lasted awhile with the springs (7 months & 10,000 miles later) but it is rough. At the time the $400 springs seemed like a great alternative to ~$3,000 coils.

To answer your questions, Yes, I do regret the H&R springs. If you want the lowered look KW coils is your best option.
-Yes I have thought about going back to stock after hitting some terrible roads but the lowered stance means more to me than ride comfort. I've always been into lowered cars so I don't mind.
-I don't plan on taking my truck off road at all.. I like to call my SAV- Suburban Asphalt Vehicle haha

At the end of the day the look has been worth the ride, IMHO.
      08-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
skalberti
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Mineral White M3

Forster, let us know how the KW's ride compared to stock springs. If the kW's ride as good as my stock sport springs I'd be all over them!