XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-04-2010, 09:51 PM   #1
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
"Cheapest car review ever" : Clarkson takes on the X6 xDrive35d

Jeremy Clarkson has long been accused of being anti BMW. A reputation he certainly earned. But as of late, he has changed his tune and has been actually praising most recent BMWs. Unfortunatly, it seems in this episode, Clarkson isn't very fond of the X6. Regardless, in typical Top Gear style, his review is very entertaining and he mixes his opinion with great visuals and entertainment all the way through. The sub plot of the entire review is hilarious!
      01-04-2010, 09:59 PM   #2
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

Well it is really the fault of BMW not having a 4x4 system as standard equipment. I think what BMW has done is made a sport RX350.

Last edited by Robert; 01-04-2010 at 11:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 10:47 PM   #3
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
What did he expect from sport tires?
I can do much better job climbing hills with winter tires on than AWD Bimmers with all-seasons
Grass or snow dont go well with wide performance summer tires
Xi models are very good when equipped with proper rubber
It's far from 4x4, but still good for what it is
X6 is more sport oriented, plus has some extra luggage space and minor off-roading capabilities, than regular car
I dont think it should be concidered as SUV as much
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 12:16 AM   #4
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

People just don't get it , the X6 is not a 4x4. If you need to crawl over boulders buy a jeep ( or if 4x4 must be shaped like a box a rover). X6 is basically a 5200 pound sporty car, will not call it a sports car because you could not drive something that weighs this much and call it a sports car with a straight face.

I'm amazed that the "borg" mentality has crept into the auto world, were everything that has an engine must fit into some classification that has been determine by people that appointed themselves as the only ones that can "bless" a car as being correct, ya bite me.

I don't consider Top Gear a serious car show but it's entertaining. And surprise a rover can go up the hill with truck tires on it but the X6 can't with performance tires. Even the guys in the states that live where it snows change out the performance tires.

Last edited by dmlgc; 01-05-2010 at 11:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 07:28 AM   #5
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
People just don't get it , the X6 is not a 4x4. If you need to crawl over boulders buy a jeep ( or if 4x4 must be shaped like a box a rover). X6 is basically a 5200 pound sporty car, will not call it a sports car because you could not drive something that weighs this much and call it a sports car with a straight face.

I'm amaze that the "borg" mentality has crept into the auto world, were everything that has an engine must fit into some classification that has been determine by people that appointed themselves as the only ones that can "bless" a car as being correct, ya bite me.

I don't consider Top Gear a serious car show but it's entertaining. And surprise a rover can go up the hill with truck tires on it but the X6 can't with performance tires. Even the guys in the states that live where it snows change out the performance tires.
But there again you missed the point of what he said. I quote 'this car was made by a world for a world that no longer exists'. I think this is where he hit the nail on the head. Most people today who are willing to spend his kind of money would rather get something more all rounded than something so specific. Don't get me wrong. I love the X6, and would consider one for a replacement for the 335, but pragmatically, I would rather have a 4 wheel drive X5, Q5, Q7, GL, X3... hell even an allroad A4/A6 if they ever got them here
19 Audi SQ5 (sold), 20 Audi S6 (sold),
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 07:32 AM   #6
bayerischeperformance
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

I love the glove box opening upside down lol

Our e70 has had no issues in the snow. Though it doesn't have the sport wheels with summer tires
      01-05-2010, 07:44 AM   #7
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

I love the X6's looks - I bought an X5 35d for practicality.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 07:48 AM   #8
bmwaddict
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 335is E92

Nice!

+1 I was about to say the same thing!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPower View Post
But there again you missed the point of what he said. I quote 'this car was made by a world for a world that no longer exists'. I think this is where he hit the nail on the head. Most people today who are willing to spend his kind of money would rather get something more all rounded than something so specific. Don't get me wrong. I love the X6, and would consider one for a replacement for the 335, but pragmatically, I would rather have a 4 wheel drive X5, Q5, Q7, GL, X3... hell even an allroad A4/A6 if they ever got them here
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 09:17 AM   #9
ChrisM135i
Verd1chtete 1ntensität
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i E82

Garage List
2008 135i E82  [0.00]
He was really driving with the X6 + summer tires in the Alps right?
And then he complained about that..?

... what a stupid review! No more to say...

BMW 135i E82 - 6 MT - ///M-Sport - M 261 - Black Saphir - Xenon - PDC - NaviProf - BMW Online - BMW Assist - HiFi Sound System
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #10
Imola.ZHP
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW i3 BEV EE

So, wait, I'm confused...

I was under the impression the x6 was an x5 with a different body, but this isn't the case?

I guess I'm asking if he would have had the same results with an x5? Further, does BMW make a vehicle that does well in light off-roading and in snow?

My ZHP is soon to be paid off, I was thinking of replacing my DD/beater car with either an x3 or an older x5. However, if they all act as the x6 did in this text, I'll seek other options...

Or was the only issue here the fully-inflated summer tires?

- 2014 CPO i01 BEV Electronaut Edition Capparis White Tera World, '17-
- 2015 CPO i01 BEV Laurel Grey Tera World, '17-
- 2015 i01 REx Laurel Grey Tera World, '15-'17
- 2003 CPO 330i ZHP Imola Red Build 03/03/03, '06-'15
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #11
billy_esp
Spain
Rep
Drives: BMW

yeaaaaaah Jeremy Clarkson says a lot of truths and that's because I like Top Gear!!! lol I like the BMW X6 but its useless
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 10:36 AM   #12
numba1guju
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 VW Jetta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imola.ZHP View Post

I was under the impression the x6 was an x5 with a different body, but this isn't the case?

I guess I'm asking if he would have had the same results with an x5? Further, does BMW make a vehicle that does well in light off-roading and in snow?

My ZHP is soon to be paid off, I was thinking of replacing my DD/beater car with either an x3 or an older x5. However, if they all act as the x6 did in this text, I'll seek other options...

all do the same...def not something for major off roading....if youre wanting it for some gravel patches and a few small hills than get either or...im pretty sure the x1 will do the same lol...major off roading(hate to say it) range rover is the pick, still remember test driving that beast on their hill/track looking thing, beast!
      01-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #13
maximal
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E70,E83,E87,E90,E93

You have to be very stupid to drive a car with summer tyres in the alps...
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #14
gemini330zhp
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

That was stupid summer tires in the alps in grass and snow!!!! Thats unfair. Im sure its like me driving my M3 in snow with summer tires. In the winter with the proper tires my M3 goes through snow with no problem considering its rear wheel drive. Bah bad review on top gear!!!

Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 11:27 AM   #15
manny127
Private
Rep
Drives: 09 335i Coupe (E92)

You guys are not understanding his review, he is trying to figure out where the x6 can work, what is it made for... He tries it as an on road suv, but its much to hard and uncomfortable. Then he tries it as a sports car, but then its huge and uneccesary, then he tries it as an off road car and that fails horribly. His point is there is no apparent need for this car. I am not hating on the x6, but he is absolutely right there are many other things that would be more practical to use, but as EmPower said, 'this car was made by a world for a world that no longer exists'.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 11:29 AM   #16
bayerischeperformance
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e46 m3

Quote:

My e70 with the all season bridgestones on it in around a foot of snow had no issues at all. I was actually suprised how well it handled. That was with DTC enabled and DSC on. Without enabling the DTC I had some slipping.

I did also have an S54 and 6spd trans in the back which may have helped traction a little
      01-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #17
uhn2000
Big K...
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3CS BX7

Honestly I don't know why they get a man that can't even operate a standard computer to save his life to try and operate a BMW. Jeremy has more grey hair then my dad (63) and should just stick to reviewing Italian or English vehicles because they don't have any electronics to figure out. And if they did I would hope there is a good warranty to come with them.

BMW should also outlaw their cars on Top Gear. These guys just don't get it and neither will they ever get it. This guy was born in the ice ages and as much as I find him entertaining he is really a moron. Good to know that his crew keeps pumping money into Ranger Rover as they just might turn a profit one of these days.
      01-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #18
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmPower View Post

Well I guess it comes down to what the definition of "more all rounded than something so specific" is , which would depend on what you use your vehicle for.

There isn't any place an X5 can go that an X6 can't but people would argue that it can carry more cargo and people, I don't need to carry more cargo or people so for me even an X5 would not be more "all rounded".

'this car was made by a world for a world that no longer exists', I guess that comes down to what world you live in.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 11:58 AM   #19
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

as far as the snow , yes with the right tires. there are many owners hear that live where it snows and with "winter tires" say it performs amazingly.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 11:59 AM   #20
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy_esp View Post
yeaaaaaah Jeremy Clarkson says a lot of truths and that's because I like Top Gear!!! lol I like the BMW X6 but its useless
define useful in a vehicle sense.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #21
hotrod2448
grand poobah
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F10 535i

Garage List
2011 335d  [0.00]
I love seeing how pissed off some people get by a bad review of a car or brand they own.

Of course pretty much any vehicle with high performance summer tires is going to suck in the snow and off-road. I'm pretty sure Top Gear is aware of that. Much like I think they realize they didn't actually need to go to Australia to verify the glove box would work as well. It was an amusing illustration of their point, not a factual recreation of what the vehicle could do with proper equipment.

I want to like the X6 but, the bottom line for me is it's too compromised both on and off road, in it's ability to carry people/cargo and flat out just costs too much for me to justify such a novelty. It was conceived and approved when conspicuous spending was the normal, excess was a good thing and a lot of people were living high above their means. Times have changed and I think you will see a lot of these "niche" vehicles start to fade from manufacturers lineups.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2010, 12:08 PM   #22
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by manny127 View Post
You guys are not understanding his review, he is trying to figure out where the x6 can work, what is it made for... He tries it as an on road suv, but its much to hard and uncomfortable. Then he tries it as a sports car, but then its huge and uneccesary, then he tries it as an off road car and that fails horribly. His point is there is no apparent need for this car. I am not hating on the x6, but he is absolutely right there are many other things that would be more practical to use, but as EmPower said, 'this car was made by a world for a world that no longer exists'.
No your not understanding , it's a rigged review. no one in their right mind would do summer tires in snow, this was just to make it come out the way he wanted. Nothing in the review is real world conditions. The show could have saved a bunch of money by just having him say I hate it because it's not a rover. would have been just a valid as his "review".
Appreciate 0