XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

09-09-2008, 05:42 PM   #23
Herms
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
If you watch the current gas consumption gauge on most non-turbo BMWs, it will tell you a different story.
+1.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 03:23 PM   #24
m3_p0wer
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

i knw its old thread but guys my x6 now i cant get under 7 sec !! i dunno why the best i get 7.1 the rest 7.4, 7.7 i remember when i reached 1000km i did get 6.5 thats a huge difference ? what do u think guys
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 03:28 PM   #25
wwspiderbig
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 3.5D

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3_p0wer View Post
i knw its old thread but guys my x6 now i cant get under 7 sec !! i dunno why the best i get 7.1 the rest 7.4, 7.7 i remember when i reached 1000km i did get 6.5 thats a huge difference ? what do u think guys
hmm... strange i don't know

BTW Deda what's your time you have an 3.5d right?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 04:28 PM   #26
m3_p0wer
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep

yea man thats really anoying !! i raced my brother x5 again its dead even ? but before i used to give him a head start and today i tried maybe 10 times 0-60 the best i got 7.1 there is something wrong goin on
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 04:29 PM   #27
chonko
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 50i/2008 X5 4.8i

Quote:
What is the temperature difference?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #28
m3_p0wer
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep

hmmm before it was above 30c now its between 15-23c it should be now faster than before because cold weather is good for turbo's !!
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 04:57 PM   #29
MeEmZ
Doctor in the making
Saudi Arabia
Rep
Drives: 08 X6 35i

did you change your wheels since last time ?

do you have a tank full this time and didn't last time ?

try giving it a few miles of WOT before racing they say it can help ??
      01-20-2009, 05:11 PM   #30
m3_p0wer
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeEmZ View Post
did you change your wheels since last time ?

do you have a tank full this time and didn't last time ?

try giving it a few miles of WOT before racing they say it can help ??
wheels no .. about the tank it doesnt make differenect 2day it was 50km range so its half empty i tried also after full tank same result WOT what do u mean i didnt get it ...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 05:14 PM   #31
MeEmZ
Doctor in the making
Saudi Arabia
Rep

wide open throttle

means you push the car hard for a few mins before you race
      01-20-2009, 05:18 PM   #32
m3_p0wer
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep

hmmm yea i raced my brother alot so i pushed it to the limits .. but i dunno whats the problem i can also feel the decrease in the performance .. did u try ur'z wht did u get ?
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 05:44 PM   #33
MeEmZ
Doctor in the making
Saudi Arabia
Rep

never really tried it against something in the same league other than a short run against a member here in his 4.8i ... it was a close call but the X6 won by a short difference

i tried it also with a denali and a nissan armada with the X6 disappearing in the horizon :P

but am not getting any lose in power ( al 7md llah) maybe you need an oli change ??
      01-20-2009, 06:23 PM   #34
m3_p0wer
Private
United Arab Emirates
Rep

before few weeks i got it from service ... but before the service it was the same ..
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2009, 06:51 PM   #35
chonko
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 50i/2008 X5 4.8i

Quote:
hmmm before it was above 30c now its between 15-23c it should be now faster than before because cold weather is good for turbo's !!
True that you gain HP in cold temperatures but a few things happen to the tyre that could rob of you performance:

1. You generally lose grip when it is cold, and this will also affect your speed. If you are an F-1 fan or into motor racing, I am sure you must have heard of bringing tyres to the right temperature.
2. You lose tyre pressure when it is cold and that in turn affects the speed of the vehicle due to reduction in the circumference of the tyre. If you pay close attention to your fuel economy you will notice the effect of the low tyre pressure.
3. The low tyre pressure also affects your inertia at start off which affect start off acceleration.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 04:23 AM   #36
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwspiderbig View Post
hmm... strange i don't know

BTW Deda what's your time you have an 3.5d right?
Well, i dont know...i need to check...but i drove x3 30d before and it had 7,9 from 0-60..and i feel that x6 35d is faster...but how much is hard to tell.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 09:00 AM   #37
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
On my other cars, I used to shift into neutral when I was approaching an intersection with lights that were about to change to red or were red. I would shift back into drive once it changed to green and apply the accelerator. The first time I tried that on my wife's xDrive version BMW, it let me shift into neutral just fine, however it did NOT let me shift back into drive. I had to stop the car and shift back into drive. By now I figured out that I can shift into neutral and shift back into drive if I am decelerating by applying the breaks and just before I lift the foot off the break, I shift back into drive and then I can accelerate again. I don't do this very often anymore, at least not as often as I used to. It used to help a LOT in reducing the gas consumption (better gas millage) on my other cars!
That is a somewhat dangerous tactic. If for some reason you suddenly need to accelerate while you are in neutral, it could add scarce seconds to your ability to do so.

I don't see how you save gas because the fuel injectors shut off completely when you are slowing down with the throttle fully closed. On an old carbureted engine it might make a small difference.

(And not to be picky, but you slow down using brakes, not breaks.)
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 09:09 AM   #38
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by chonko View Post
True that you gain HP in cold temperatures
Not significantly in a turbo engine. The turbo is capable of compressing incoming air much more than it is allowed to do. If the air is warm, the ECU simply allows a higher turbo pressure to pump the full mass of air into the engine. If the air is cold, the turbo pressure is limited to that which once again provides the ideal air mass. The ambient temperature would have to be well over 100F before you detected any difference in horsepower, and that would just be because the intercoolers have a finite ability to cool the compressed air.

Turbos compensate in the same way for altitude, so turbocharged engines develop the same horsepower at height as they do at sea level. In case you missed the bold text , it is all to do with air mass, which is independent of temperature or pressure.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2009, 11:29 AM   #39
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie's Dad View Post
That is a somewhat dangerous tactic. If for some reason you suddenly need to accelerate while you are in neutral, it could add scarce seconds to your ability to do so.

I don't see how you save gas because the fuel injectors shut off completely when you are slowing down with the throttle fully closed. On an old carbureted engine it might make a small difference.

(And not to be picky, but you slow down using brakes, not breaks.)
Hahaha, didn't even notice that I wrote breaks... You are absolutely right, I do use BRAKES to slow the car

On my previous car, switching into neutral made a big difference in gas consumption. Now on the BMW, there is no noticeable difference.

I agree with you that you might loose valuable fractions of a second IF you needed to accelerate and you had to put the car back into drive. However I only used to do this when I was approaching an intersection and I knew that the light would change to red or was red and there was NO other traffic around. In other words it was safe to do so. The other advantage this gave me was that shifting the car into neutral would let the car roll a LOT further than in drive with closed throttle due to no engine braking (not breaking)...
So when I was approaching an intersection that was changing to red and I was a few hundred meters out, I would simply take my foot of the accelerator, shift into neutral and let the car roll until the light turned green again at which point i put it back into drive and slowly apply the accelerator again. That way the car would only slow down by a few km/h and the transitions were so smooth that you wouldn't even know that I had done this if you were a passenger in the car! This is assuming the street is level (and that is the only place I did this anyway...)
Basically it's similar to depressing the clutch in a standard car and letting the car roll....
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0