XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-30-2017, 12:00 AM   #1
RustyX5M
Private
Rep
Drives: e70 x5m

Powerflex Tension Strut Bushings

Has anyone installed the street version of the Powerflex bushings on their X5M to give feedback on their impressions vs. stock and whether or not the periodic maintenance is worth it? ...or if they're not maintaining them, are they squeaking?

Race version:
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...&postcount=372
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 10:00 AM   #2
GregWX5
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X5 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyX5M View Post
Has anyone installed the street version of the Powerflex bushings on their X5M to give feedback on their impressions vs. stock and whether or not the periodic maintenance is worth it? ...or if they're not maintaining them, are they squeaking?

Race version:
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showp...&postcount=372
I've installed the black "race" version, so not sure about the street. I've only greased them when first installed and they were silent, but eventually they did start to squeak a little over bigger speed bumps. They are definitely firmer compared to the factory rubber bushings.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 03:14 PM   #3
RustyX5M
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregWX5 View Post
I've installed the black "race" version, so not sure about the street. I've only greased them when first installed and they were silent, but eventually they did start to squeak a little over bigger speed bumps. They are definitely firmer compared to the factory rubber bushings.
I want to keep some of the stock comfort since it's my daily so went ahead and ordered the street version. Should still be a bit tighter than the stock bushings.
If they do start squeaking, servicing them shouldn't too bad.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 11:39 AM   #4
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

This particular bushing is one of the worst IMO to change on a street car. Perhaps a "street," version is better. But I had something similar on a 3500 lbs street car, and among all the groupN and urethane bushes in that car, the front a-arm bushings were my worst decision. There also were no replacements after I removed the factory bushing, I had to buy a new a-arm...

Let's hope that if you decide you don't like it, you can revert back easily!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 02:52 PM   #5
RustyX5M
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch808 View Post
This particular bushing is one of the worst IMO to change on a street car. Perhaps a "street," version is better. But I had something similar on a 3500 lbs street car, and among all the groupN and urethane bushes in that car, the front a-arm bushings were my worst decision. There also were no replacements after I removed the factory bushing, I had to buy a new a-arm...

Let's hope that if you decide you don't like it, you can revert back easily!
The street version should be much softer than the track version you had (99% vs 235% increase). Also note on that graph they used "worn" stock bushings.... not sure why they wouldn't compare apples to apples (new-new).

Yes, you can buy the bushing separately from the arm. PN: 31126791397
...though I doubt it'll come down to that.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 03:06 PM   #6
mitch808
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 35i

Just go with the expectation that abrupt expansion joints, railway stuff, those metal plates covering a construction site on a street, will be the biggest change in regards to NVH with those bushings. Anything with a sharper edge mainly is exponentially more jarring.

Outside of that, you don't really notice much other issues in regards to NVH.
Appreciate 0