XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

10-23-2013, 11:25 AM   #1
spoonierme
Rep
Drives: Supra

Looking to join the X6 family...got some questions

After going back and forth I've narrowed my used luxury SUV search to the X6, X5, and MDX w/ me heavily leaning towards the X6 assuming you guys dont convince me otherwise.

So for some background:
-I am planning on getting rid of my Honda Element and G35x for an SUV
-I live in NYC so driving is only on the weekends and occasionally when i need to travel for work. I also have a dedicated parking spot, no street parking for me.
-there is NO plans for kids or making a family so space isnt that important. I also have a roof box for any storage needed.
-Already have a high powered Toyota Supra so thats where i will be taking my F1 driving needs. If you ask me, i would rather a luxury over performance for the SUV

What i'm looking for is:
-Good (doesnt have to be great) gas mileage. I can even deal with not that great gas, just cant be terrible.
-Reliable and maintenance cost needs to be low or fair. This is VERY important since i no longer have that much to deal with car issues. Stuff happens but i would rather not have the car on a lift multiple times a year.
-in Dash Navi

So here are my questions:
-How is the reliability for the X6? the X5 was my first choice but then i started to hear very bad experiences. I would be a fool if i didnt expect the X6 to have the same issues as they are probably very similiar in platforms, but might as well get some direct opinions.
-Is there particular year(s) to avoid? I believe the 08 X5s where just plain crap.
-How are the X6's at/after 60K miles? anyone with high miles (>100K) that can chime in with their experience?
-Is a specific motor better than the other? I actually prefer the smaller engine to save gas.

I'm looking to spend between $30k-$35k area, but if i find something i like, am willing to go up to $40k (still would rather not tho). i believe that should get me right around the '10-'11 with about 50k miles.

what do you guys think? pretty much everyone other than BMW heads tell me to go with the MDX for various reasons, reliability being the top. So i decided if you guys either tell me the X6 will barely make it 10k miles without breaking or that i should go with the MDX, that will weigh HEAVILY on my decision

The only reason i'm considering an X5 is for the sole fact that i can get lower miles for a few thousand cheaper.

Thanks for the help guys!!
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 01:29 PM   #2
aas5
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Tesla Model 3

I am also in NY and have had mine for 3 years. let me try to address some of your questions:

- this car has more than plenty of space even if you decided to have kids soon. I have two kids and they love the car, except for not having the rear entertainment center I used to have in my m45

- if you are looking for luxury over performance, x5 or x6 would not be my first choice. Don't get me wrong, I find the interior to be classy and rich but if luxury is more important look at lexus and MB first

- mileage is not great. I have a 5.0 and don't get more then 17 pg in 60% city / 40% highway driving. i doubt it's much better even with a 3.5. Suspect you can get a better mileage with an x3 or a lexus rx

- BMWs require maintenance, it's not the same as owning a lexus or infiniti, you have to be prepared to deal with issues post warranty. x5 and x6 are based on the same platform so will face the same issues

I've had my car for 24K miles and had all 8 injectors replaced along with some other issues along the way.

Love the car anyway and thinking of upgrading to an M soon.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
spoonierme
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aas5 View Post
I am also in NY and have had mine for 3 years. let me try to address some of your questions:

- this car has more than plenty of space even if you decided to have kids soon. I have two kids and they love the car, except for not having the rear entertainment center I used to have in my m45

- if you are looking for luxury over performance, x5 or x6 would not be my first choice. Don't get me wrong, I find the interior to be classy and rich but if luxury is more important look at lexus and MB first

- mileage is not great. I have a 5.0 and don't get more then 17 pg in 60% city / 40% highway driving. i doubt it's much better even with a 3.5. Suspect you can get a better mileage with an x3 or a lexus rx

- BMWs require maintenance, it's not the same as owning a lexus or infiniti, you have to be prepared to deal with issues post warranty. x5 and x6 are based on the same platform so will face the same issues

I've had my car for 24K miles and had all 8 injectors replaced along with some other issues along the way.

Love the car anyway and thinking of upgrading to an M soon.
Sorry, I meant i wanted luxury but not boring. I will probably be into that type of luxury some day, but for now i still want to enjoy the drive. It was mentioned that performance wasnt too important as to eliminate the M or other SUV like Cayenne Turbo. Hell, i would prefer the 3.5 over the 5.0. And i have to accept the gas isnt going to blow me away, so as long as the 3.5 can get me 20mpg on the highway, i'm good.

What you said about you having issues with your car and BMWs in general is the one key factor thats holding me back. I was hoping someone was going to tell me BMW got all the kinks out of the '11 model, or something along those lines.
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 10:52 AM   #4
Barbja
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X4 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by aas5 View Post
- mileage is not great. I have a 5.0 and don't get more then 17 pg in 60% city / 40% highway driving.
OMG! I am so jealous! I drive a 35i and I regularly get 14-15mpg. However, it also takes me 3 weeks to go through a tank and most of it goes out at <45mph. I'd probably get 10mpg in a 50i .
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #5
Boosteeddc
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 x6m

The gas mileage isn't a huge difference between these models. And even tho having a supra and another 40k suv. Why would gas ever become a problem?
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2013, 07:07 PM   #6
spoonierme
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosteeddc View Post
The gas mileage isn't a huge difference between these models. And even tho having a supra and another 40k suv. Why would gas ever become a problem?
There will 2 particular times that gas mileage becomes a factor. For work i have to drive 2 months a year every day. The travel is about 60+ miles a day and i find it insanely annoying to continuously get gas. If i had to drive year round, there is no doubt i would get some form of hybrid.

During winter i drive to Vermont several times for snowboarding. Again, continuously getting gas gets annoying for everyone.

One thing i do like is the X6 has a bigger tank than any DD i ever had.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 05:40 PM   #7
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

The X6 will have similar reliability although the engine choices were different for several years.

If you plan on keeping this vehicle outside the warranty, then you really should be looking at the MDX.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #8
spoonierme
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
The X6 will have similar reliability although the engine choices were different for several years.

If you plan on keeping this vehicle outside the warranty, then you really should be looking at the MDX.
And with one swoop, there goes my plan on getting an X6. Thanks for the honest opinions/advice guys.
Appreciate 0