XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

07-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
exfyvem
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Stage 2 X5M shifting problems.

So, my X5M has velos stage 2 tune with race-catted downpipes, de-resonated midsection, and gthaus exhaust. About 2 days after i got it back from getting the downpipes installed, i went to shift out of 1st gear pretty high up in the rev range it jumped, and felt like it missed the shift into 2nd gear. The car is putting out about 700hp and 680lb/ft. Not quite sure exactly what happened, but i let my foot off the throttle and thought i destroyed my transmission. After that, it has been acting completely fine (about 1000 miles since then), but i have been trying to stay away from hard shifts out of 1st. Yesterday, i tried the same thing again, and it felt like it missed the shift... again. Im not sure if this is a problem with the transmission or if it simply just can't keep up with how fast the car revs from first. Hard shift out of any other gear go just fine, i only encounter problems out of 1st. Any suggestions/input would be nice. I'm not under warranty any more (obviously), so i just wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas of what the problem may be before i go to BMW and get my balls busted.
      07-21-2012, 10:21 AM   #2
BabyBlack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & E90 335i & E71 X6M

Sorry to hear that OP, I found this truck's drive train can't handle that much power, I have heard other has broken the axle, transfer case, and now missing shift with upgraded tune. I guess this is always true that "you have to pay to play". Wonder if Velos has any upgrade tune for the TCU that can go alone with their ECU tune.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 12:45 PM   #3
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

you're putting out a ton of power, i have the dinan tune on mine and i find it so hard to shift out of 1st gear with the paddles because it literally passes through that gear in no time. have you tried a full throttle run in just sport to see if it shifts correctly? my guess is that its just to hard to shift out of that gear in time (hopefully nothing is wrong with your tranny)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
Biff Grissel
stankmouth
United_States
Rep
Drives: fun

sorry 2 hear bud, doesnt sound good but lets hope its just a computer adjustment issue. i would def have it looked at before u do anymore driving 2 avoid a bigger issue that may be caused by this. good luck, keep us posted.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 10:16 PM   #5
northern2020
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 M / '01 B5 S4/ 15 328d

1) sounds like a tranny issue

2) call the tuner

3) before going to BMW I would advise going back to stock or you may end up with a large non-warrantied claim

4) no offense but without a larger turbo upgrade and a new intake/manifold (like Hamann) here is no way your at 700hp...
      07-23-2012, 10:11 AM   #6
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

Sounds like a transmission torque maps problem.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 10:55 AM   #7
Blitzblau
Field Marshall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Black Saph Metallic X5M

Granted I haven't done as much to mine as you have to yours...I also have the Velos Tune and everything is running perfectly fine as of now and probably 3000 miles into the tune. If not, more.

I would go back to stock ECU...see if that rectifies the situation, maybe also while it is back at stock, take it in and make sure everything is fine with the tranny.

Omar will definitely do everything in his power to make sure your tune is perfectly mapped to your mods. The guy is definitely customer service oriented.

I am pretty sure you aren't going to mess up that tranny though...it is pretty much the reason they used it instead of the DCT.

Good luck and please keep us updated...I am intrigued.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #8
novablackm3
Captain
Rep
Drives: Performante, G05 M50i, RR SVR

sorry to hear about that,

btw any pictures of your de-resonated mid section ? i have down pipes and was thinking of doing that and keeping the stock exhaust
      08-10-2012, 09:34 PM   #9
BiG22DuBz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

I have the same symptoms too only in the 1-2 shift. To get a perfect sounding 1-2 whaaaaapppaaaa shift, lay off throttle a bit around 5500ish rpm's and manually shift with paddles or shifter.
CLS55 and C6Z06 (previous rides)
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2012, 09:03 AM   #10
Jimshorts
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5m

I've noticed this and my truck is still stock... I would do what big22dubz said just lay off it a bit and shift a little sooner. I've been saying this since day one that first is gonna become non existent once I get my tune. Do a good hard pull in sport and let the truck shift I'm sure you won't have problems.

Also toss that bad boy on a dyno and give us some numbers to the wheel... Tired of hearing crank numbers. What gear has the 1:1 ratio? 3rd or 4th?
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #11
Dansarkis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5, i8, V10 R8 Twin turbo

Garage List
Any updates on this?
Does it just happen with the paddles or in sport auto too?

Just ordered Stage 2... :-/
Grave yard: 14 1100hp GTR, 11 Twin Turbo R8, 13 M5, 09 LP-560, 14 GTR, 08 R8 V8, 11 X5M 700hp, 10 E93 M3, 08 E92 M3, 06 E46 M3 CP, 02 E46 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 09:47 AM   #12
Omar@VelosDesignwerks
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Different Ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by exfyvem View Post
So, my X5M has velos stage 2 tune with race-catted downpipes, de-resonated midsection, and gthaus exhaust. About 2 days after i got it back from getting the downpipes installed, i went to shift out of 1st gear pretty high up in the rev range it jumped, and felt like it missed the shift into 2nd gear. The car is putting out about 700hp and 680lb/ft. Not quite sure exactly what happened, but i let my foot off the throttle and thought i destroyed my transmission. After that, it has been acting completely fine (about 1000 miles since then), but i have been trying to stay away from hard shifts out of 1st. Yesterday, i tried the same thing again, and it felt like it missed the shift... again. Im not sure if this is a problem with the transmission or if it simply just can't keep up with how fast the car revs from first. Hard shift out of any other gear go just fine, i only encounter problems out of 1st. Any suggestions/input would be nice. I'm not under warranty any more (obviously), so i just wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas of what the problem may be before i go to BMW and get my balls busted.
In manual mode you have to remember this is not a true manual transmission or a DCT transmission. Remember when you try to floor it out of first and then manually shift you may think you are at redline but the shift is 'delayed' which is going to make you feel like you hit a wall. You are basically trying to shift at 6800-6900 but the shift doesn't take occur how it would in a true manual transmission.

Drive it in sport and the issue should not be present and this is because the car is shifting at its optimal point. Give me a call and we can talk about it... or anything else for that matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke View Post
Sounds like a transmission torque maps problem.
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimshorts View Post
I've noticed this and my truck is still stock... I would do what big22dubz said just lay off it a bit and shift a little sooner. I've been saying this since day one that first is gonna become non existent once I get my tune. Do a good hard pull in sport and let the truck shift I'm sure you won't have problems.

Also toss that bad boy on a dyno and give us some numbers to the wheel... Tired of hearing crank numbers. What gear has the 1:1 ratio? 3rd or 4th?
Wise man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansarkis View Post
Any updates on this?
Does it just happen with the paddles or in sport auto too?

Just ordered Stage 2... :-/
Nothing to worry about boss.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #13
Omar@VelosDesignwerks
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzblau View Post
Granted I haven't done as much to mine as you have to yours...I also have the Velos Tune and everything is running perfectly fine as of now and probably 3000 miles into the tune. If not, more.

I would go back to stock ECU...see if that rectifies the situation, maybe also while it is back at stock, take it in and make sure everything is fine with the tranny.

Omar will definitely do everything in his power to make sure your tune is perfectly mapped to your mods. The guy is definitely customer service oriented.

I am pretty sure you aren't going to mess up that tranny though...it is pretty much the reason they used it instead of the DCT.

Good luck and please keep us updated...I am intrigued.
Thanks for the kind words!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #14
[Deactivated-Velos]
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Hey,

Keep in mind when you manually shift using the paddles the action will be slightly delayed as while the transmission may be pretty advanced it is still an auto. Not a DCT or manual variant.

You are not mis shifting you are hitting redline.

In a safe environment, put the car in sport and floor it in first, the issue will not be present.

Also note, anything causing an issue would cause a CEL first.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 05:22 PM   #15
exfyvem
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5M

Everything is working fine, thanks so much to Velos for showing concern and doing everything they can to help solve the problem!
      08-14-2012, 11:56 PM   #16
northern2020
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 M / '01 B5 S4/ 15 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by exfyvem
Everything is working fine, thanks so much to Velos for showing concern and doing everything they can to help solve the problem!
What was the problem?

Or was there no problem - just as stated a shifting lag because of the auto tranny / no DCT?
      08-15-2012, 08:52 AM   #17
Blitzblau
Field Marshall
United_States
Rep

Just curiously, I tried to recreate the issue and yeah...in manual mode you need to be hitting the paddle around 5.5k in order to not hit the redline. I was in fist/M mode/manual and mashed it...shifted at 5.5 and it was a nice shift anything past that and I seemed to get to the redline VERY quickly.

Glad all is well...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #18
Omar@VelosDesignwerks
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzblau View Post
Just curiously, I tried to recreate the issue and yeah...in manual mode you need to be hitting the paddle around 5.5k in order to not hit the redline. I was in fist/M mode/manual and mashed it...shifted at 5.5 and it was a nice shift anything past that and I seemed to get to the redline VERY quickly.

Glad all is well...
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2012, 10:08 AM   #19
Blitzblau
Field Marshall
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omar@VelosDesignwerks View Post
Omar...you are the man!
Appreciate 0