XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

06-30-2013, 11:58 PM   #1
crunchingnumbers
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 X6M, 2018 RRS

X6 5.0

My 2012 X6 5.0 with 41k has started smoking like a chimney. It uses some oil (they all do) but it looks like an old steam train with the exhaust smoke. I mean it is way excessive.

I had it at the dealer last week for windshield washer pump failure and cam sensor failure. Mentioned the smoke which would kill you in a closed area and they said it's normal ??

Anyone out there noticed or had similar issues.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchingnumbers View Post
My 2012 X6 5.0 with 41k has started smoking like a chimney. It uses some oil (they all do) but it looks like an old steam train with the exhaust smoke. I mean it is way excessive.

I had it at the dealer last week for windshield washer pump failure and cam sensor failure. Mentioned the smoke which would kill you in a closed area and they said it's normal ??

Anyone out there noticed or had similar issues.
not normal
could be turbo seals....
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
MaX6
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X6 50i

That sounds look some dealer bull$hit. Smoke billowing out like your driving a turbodiesel is not normal... I would have someone drive behind you and video tape the smoke and go back to the dealer...

My 2011 50i does not smoke whatsoever at 21k miles... I have followed behind it when my son and I were "aggressively driving"...

If I get to 41k miles and see lots of smoke I am assuming something has gone wrong..

What color is the smoke? Blue, grey or black?
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
crunchingnumbers
Private First Class
Rep

smoke

Been busy - still smoking grey/black smoke. It is booked back into the dealer july 9th for the cam sensor, washer and smoke investigation.

It is not normal that's for sure. No need to take video, I can leave it running in the service bay and the fire brigade will show up . I'll see if I can take a pic in the morning just for laughs.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2013, 11:28 AM   #5
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldog x6 View Post
not normal
could be turbo seals....
How difficult would it be to replace turbo seals? DIY?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #6
crunchingnumbers
Private First Class
Rep

Fortunately mine is under warranty so I would not diy anything and I'm not sufficiently knowledgable to say whether it's straight forward or not.

Dealer took the vehicle in and has ordered all new injectors which apparently has been an issue because they are back ordered. The dealer quoted one white X6 which went two tone with smoking.

Still waiting and now smoking seems intermittent since it came back from the dealer. They say they didn't do anything other than cam sensor and washer pump but who knows.

Anyway when I get the new injectors installed, I'll post any updates.
Appreciate 0