XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-24-2011, 08:13 AM   #1
kwilkins
Private
Rep
Drives: 2023 Porsche Cayenne Turbo S e

Owners opinions on comfort contradictions.

I’m considering a purchase of a X6 (50i) and have read a number of reviews that seem to be all over the board with respect to comfort and ride quality. All the reviews say the X6 handles marvelously, but some say the ride is bumpy, harsh, and loud; while others say the X6 is very comfortable, quite, and handles bumps effortlessly. I’ve read a lot of car reviews on many different cars, I don’t remember ever seeing such contrasting opinions.

I am going to test drive an X6 this weekend, I recently test drove a 550i Sedan and the Gran Turismo 550i. The Gran Turismo didn’t handle nearly as well as the sedan, it was louder, and the ride was not as comfortable. The sedan was outstanding in most ways.

Would any X6 owners comment on how their car works for them as a daily driver? I’m taking for granted that aggressive driving and cornering is beyond fun, but what about the rest of the time? How comfortable/uncomfortable do you find the X6 when you're on long highway drives, stuck in traffic, going through town on bumpy roads, running errands to 5 different stores and constantly getting in and out of the car, maneuvering in a tight parking lot, etc.

I would be getting a fully loaded model if I go with the X6, so it will have adaptive drive, active steering, etc.

I really like the X6, but I’m concerned that the novelty could wear off quickly if it’s not very good at the kind of daily driving I’ll be doing most of the time.

Last edited by kwilkins; 02-24-2011 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 08:44 AM   #2
UK6
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & 330e

It can seem a bit harsh on bumps and pot holes but nowhere near as harsh as a sports car or even my old E90, size of chosen wheels will have a lot to do with this, I switched from my usual 21" wheels to the 19" ones over the winter, the ride is much more comfortable and very smooth, not noticed any handling downgrade but it doesn't look as good.
Everyday driving is a pleasure, very comfortable (especially on the smaller wheels) and with the optional parking cameras you'll have no trouble parking, you'll love it.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #3
OTK_KART
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars with 4 wheels

My experience is pretty much the same as UK6. The X6 is comfortable as daily driver. I have 18" winters on the X6 now and the X6 is really smooth compare to my old 335i with 17" winters.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 07:10 PM   #4
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

I drive my X6 50i from San Jose ,CA area to Scottsdale,AZ on a regular basis with wife and dog, wife says it is a lot more comfortable than my X5. I have ventilated comfort seats, 20" wheels with RTF (some folks say non- RTF give smoother ride)

As far as bumps (normal highway type) you don't notice them that much at 100mph, car is so heavy it absorbs them well. I drive mine to work and back every day, only issue is watching speed limit.

As far as stuck in traffic I use the electronic brake hold so I don't have to keep my foot on the brake ( when engaged - at a stop you press break ,it engages brakes to hold car and you can take you foot of brake, when you press on gas brake disengaged until next stop).

As far as In/out around town think that's a personal thing and may depend on what you are coming from.

As far as novelty wearing off , just don't see that happening as I have some much fun driving this car. But to me this is a performance oriented SUV/SAV so I think expectations will determine this.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 08:41 PM   #5
newdadkel
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6M CBM

Absolutely no problems with comfort. Coming from my 335, it is certainly much more comfortable than I thought it would be. Agree that the car is heavier and will absorb more of the everyday bumps. Plus the absence of any bodyroll is a nice feature; I really notice this in my wifes lexus gx
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2011, 01:45 AM   #6
GJM
Xdrive
Australia
Rep
Drives: X6 35d/X5 3d

X6 my daily Drive, won't drive the x5, unless absolutely necessary.
Handles great for a vehicle of this size, speed humps are ok, the car is comfortable, but with the RFs the ride is harsher as with any RFs. Where you notice the bumps is on corrugated or pot holed roads. On smooth tarmac its fine. Just adjust the suspension from Sport to normal does compensate a little.
Took it off road last week end & it handled the conditions better than expected.
Run 20" tyres 315 back 275 front.
      02-27-2011, 11:19 PM   #7
DARE U
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW

I use my X6 as a daily car as well and so far it had been a great experience for me! If compared to X5, the X6 is much more comfort for the rear passenger caused my kids and wife do complaint that it is very bumpy and shaky at the back of the X5. The only down point is, X6 only have 4 seaters (they do offer 5 seaters coming soon). Most important, go test drive it and have a feel for yourself then decide from there. Good luck and have fun!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2011, 09:55 PM   #8
kgclark
Private
Rep
Drives: '11 X6 35i VR/Oyster

As long as you have adaptive drive, ride quality is great. AD gives u the best of both worlds - less roll and better handling of bumps/potholes etc
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #9
DD28
Rep
Drives: 328i

Definitely a little on the bumpy/harsh side (and this is just my subjective opinion). Am changing to non run flat 19" next week and will let you know if it makes a difference. It's not like Lexus that's for sure - neither did I expect it to be - definitely go on some pothole ridden bumpy roads when testing. Oh btw I have the 35i base w/ 19" rft's.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 02:56 PM   #10
Dunzzy
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435Xd White

Like UK6 mentions:

19 inch wheel give a more comfortable ride than 20 inch or 21 inch wheels.
I tried comparing Run Flat vs Non Run flat and in my opinion for the same tyre profile the difference in negligible or at least no different that you can get between different brands of tyres.

Wheel size IMHO makes a bigger difference. Make sure you drive both 20 inch and 19 inch before you decide. 20 and 21 inch for looks but 19 inch or 18 inch for comfort.
Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 06:04 PM   #11
DD28
Rep
Drives: 328i

Dunnzy which non run flats did you try? Brand, make and size?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #12
inspector gadget
United_States
Rep
Drives: chevy c6 corvette

thanks you so much for this post and all of the replies. I am in the same boat as kwilkins and have so many questions. This post answered many of the ride comfort related ones. Thanks
Appreciate 0