XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-18-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
Tmac
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 14 M5

Vents not working?

I figure it must be something I am doing wrong, but I cant figure out why my vents wont blow air. The defroster works great, but with fan turned up or to any speed, no air blows out vents or to floor. I checked thru manual but didnt see that I was doing anything wrong, AUTO setting isnt on. Am I missing something? Vents are open, settings thru iDrive indicate high flow. I am new to the X6, I just got it this morning fresh off a train from Toronto.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
OTK_KART
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: cars with 4 wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmac View Post
I figure it must be something I am doing wrong, but I cant figure out why my vents wont blow air. The defroster works great, but with fan turned up or to any speed, no air blows out vents or to floor. I checked thru manual but didnt see that I was doing anything wrong, AUTO setting isnt on. Am I missing something? Vents are open, settings thru iDrive indicate high flow. I am new to the X6, I just got it this morning fresh off a train from Toronto.
Did you try pressing the buttons below the heated seated buttons?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2011, 03:25 PM   #3
Tmac
Private
Canada
Rep

Yes, I pushed those, and turned the flow all the way up on all the settings, and still nothing.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2011, 10:20 PM   #4
Northern X5M
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 Tanzanite Blue M5

Same problem here. Asked the service tech, supposedly if your battery is drained down; your vents fan will not work. Only defrost, something to do with conserving power until your battery fully recharges.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 04:41 AM   #5
charcoalwan
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: F85

yup happened to me too also with my friends with 135, 335s and yup it was all the battery problem being drain down low enough so the vent will not work . i but in the charger over night and it works fine again
13 RDX
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 01:03 PM   #6
Tmac
Private
Canada
Rep

Im glad you guys chimed in. Funny how it is happening to Edmonton people. I am guessing the cold here is extra hard on the battery. Yesterday they worked. Today no, however after driving for about 1/2 hour they started to cough out a little bit of air.
Either of you guys have trouble with the rearview camera staying on after shifting into park or neutral? I am now wondering if that has anything to do with the battery as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2011, 01:25 PM   #7
Sydney
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 X6 50i

Same problems here, Northern Alberta go figure. What I don't understand is if the car is trying to save batt power why does the heated seats, steering wheel, blue tooth etc all work but the heating vents don't?

After the car is warmed up you can shut it down and then restart it and it will work.

They better have a fix for this ! And don't tell me I have to charge the battery every other day.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #8
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Did you check the settings in idrive to see how the air flow is allocated ?

in case someone was going to ask:

Adjusting air distribution individually – individual program
The settings are stored in this program.
iDrive, for operating principle refer to page 16.

1. Press the button. This opens the start menu.
2. Move the controller to the left to open "Climate".
3. Select "Vent settings" and press the controller.
The driver's and front passenger side can be adjusted separately with the fields on the right or left side.
4. Select the driver's or front passenger side if necessary.
Move the controller to the right or left repeatedly until the driver's or front passenger side is selected.
5. Select the desired field by moving the controller.
6. Turn the controller to adjust the air distribution.

Driver's side:
1 Air toward the windshield and side windows
2 Air for the upper body
3 Air to footwell

Front passenger side:
4 Air for the upper body
5 Air for the upper body Air to footwell

Pressing the AUTO button cancels the manual air distribution settings.

Last edited by dmlgc; 02-24-2011 at 06:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2011, 12:58 PM   #9
Tmac
Private
Canada
Rep

Yes, it seems to be battery related. The other day they didnt work when I got in the car but after 15 mins they started to cough out a little air, 10 mins later they started working fully. However now that it has been really cold and the X6 sat over night, vents, clock, radio presets have rest, comfort access dont work, and it doesnt want to start. Considering it was -40 the other morning, and a good part of our winter is spent in the -30s and -40s, I dont have high hopes for the X6 being very reliable.
Appreciate 0