XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

05-18-2016, 11:47 AM   #1
asudevil
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 09' X5 4.8i

Exclamation Wheel Arch / Fender Flare Question. Anyone try Sarona??

I have an 09' 4.8 x5 non sport but I installed some staggered 20" M-series wheels from a newer X5 and would like to get some clean/sleek looking fender flares (like X5m fender flares) to install and color match to the body color of space grey. Does anyone know of any companies that sell the wheel arches/flares ready to paint with a smooth finish? Or is my only option to get the oem flares with the textured finish and have them sanded down and prepped before the paint can be applied? I've found these but do not know of anyone that has worked with this company: http://www.sarona.com/BMW/X5/all/Fender%20Flares/
Thanks for any advice!!

Last edited by asudevil; 06-07-2016 at 01:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 12:17 PM   #2
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Just purchase the fender flares that come with an M Sport and get those painted to match your car.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 12:20 PM   #3
asudevil
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
Just purchase the fender flares that come with an M Sport and get those painted to match your car.
Just any particular year? Or does that matter much? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2016, 01:01 PM   #4
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudevil View Post
Just any particular year? Or does that matter much? Thanks!
As long as it's an M Sport, you're fine. I do believe you're better off finding the part number of a non-LCI though, just in case. So anything 2010 or older.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2016, 08:43 AM   #5
neliconcept
Fashion Photographer
Rep
Drives: 2013 Porsche Cayenne GTS

M sport flares don't come in like regular flares do for the 20s. You'll need to get the front and rear bumper as well as the side skirts for it to fit right. Which from what I understand is about 6k in parts not painted..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 09:43 AM   #6
asudevil
Enlisted Member
Rep

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by neliconcept View Post
M sport flares don't come in like regular flares do for the 20s. You'll need to get the front and rear bumper as well as the side skirts for it to fit right. Which from what I understand is about 6k in parts not painted..
Yeah, I've learned that I can't get the M style flares I'm wanting because I'm trying to keep my stock bumpers and just have everything not space grey painted to match the body (black plastic trim on both bumpers/the side steps/fender flares, and thinking about painting the chrome trim around the windows black like the M-Series). Just seems that every set of extended flares I can find online have the black textured plastic finish. I'd like to find a set that comes with a smooth finish so that it will cut down on the prep time to paint them, which will ultimately save me some money in the long run... hopefully!! This is all in an attempt to hook up my an 09' 4.8xDrive without breaking the bank since I already installed staggered 20" M-Series wheels and Lux LED lighting. I'd like to do the H & R 1.5" drop but there seems to be such mixed reviews about it and I do not want to give my 3 month old an incredibly harsh/bumpy ride (just yet). But... I do want the X to look cleaner and sportier if possible. I'll post a pic of my wife's X5 in it's current condition and will also include 3 pictures of the E70 I'm attempting to replicate (minus the side rails).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 09:48 AM   #7
asudevil
Enlisted Member
Rep

Have any members seen or heard of anyone trying out these fender flares from Sarona? They claim to have X5M style flares that fit base model E70 bumpers...

http://www.sarona.com/BMW/X5/all/Fender%20Flares/
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 07:39 PM   #8
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Anything aftermarket usually sucks for fitment. I've heard of a few people buying the aftermarket flairs and rockers and they didn't fit worth a hill of beans. Stay clear of the cheap Chinese stuff. Buy some used OEM flares if your gonna paint them anyway.

But trust me, I'm not gonna dictate how you personalize your ride but I'll give you my professional opinion, I design cars for a living, not and engineer I actually design the concepts you see at the auto shows and I can say that unless you paint everything just painting the arches is not going to look right, the cut lines are not in a place that will compliment the design your gonna have little upturned parts that may look off, I may be able to photoshop the image for you if you wish. It may be fine but for the money I think the black arches will still look great.

In the end it's your call but I think just putting on the black arches will look great regardless.
Appreciate 1
      06-08-2016, 09:20 AM   #9
socale39
Major
Rep
Drives: 04 545i SMG

I have to agree with -C-

Just painting the arches will look off, I've seen it before. You really will need to paint the bumpers and side skirts for it to look right.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 09:49 AM   #10
asudevil
Enlisted Member
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by socale39 View Post
I have to agree with -C-

Just painting the arches will look off, I've seen it before. You really will need to paint the bumpers and side skirts for it to look right.
Yes, I'm planning on also painting the arches, bumpers, and side skirts all space grey to match the body. I also want the chrome trim around the windows painted black like in the pictures above. Thanks so much for everyone's input!

-C- you have a PM waiting for ya, just fyi.
Appreciate 0
      06-08-2016, 11:07 AM   #11
Cattivo
FDNY Engine 55
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5M, X5 50i Msport, EscaHoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by asudevil View Post
Yes, I'm planning on also painting the arches, bumpers, and side skirts all space grey to match the body. I also want the chrome trim around the windows painted black like in the pictures above. Thanks so much for everyone's input!

-C- you have a PM waiting for ya, just fyi.
You can save yourself a ton of money by painting the parts yourself, scratch wizard sells OEM BMW paint for a reasonable price
Appreciate 0