XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

02-05-2016, 09:32 AM   #1
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep
Drives: F01 & F15 / Mineral White

Angry Millionaire Crashes His 918 Spyder Into Crowd...

... Injuring 23, 3 critically including a child.

Say what you will, but if I were not injured, and a loved one was, I would be going to jail that day. Because I would kick the living shit out of this non-driving asshole! Some may try and throw out the, "But that's the risk of being a spectator." So be it. I'm still beating some ass! And if my CHILD is involved... Forget about it.

Quote:
A magisterial inquiry has found that British multimillionaire Paul Bailey was at fault for losing control of his rare million-dollar Porsche, and crashing into a crowd at a charity event in Malta.

Millionaire Paul Bailey was not a "professional driver’ and the crash was a result of excessive speed and a lack of handling techniques and corrective measures, it said. There were no mechanical failures with the car.

"While the driver is a collector of cars, he doesn't appear to have the necessary skills to drive such cars with such velocity," the inquiry says.

The event was a race and Mr. Bailey going at a high-velocity was to be expected—and that’s part of the problem.

The inquiry uncovered the extent to which there is no overseeing watchdog for certain public events held in private places. It recommends that the Civil Protection Department should be empowered to stop events if it feels safety measures are compromised.

The horrific incident (watch video above) last October left 23 people injured, three critically, including a six-year-old. One remains in hospital.

This situation is an unfortunate one. The event itself is a charity event and Mr. Bailey has used his ostentatious love of cars to help donate money to various causes.

He has raised thousands for charity by raffling off £1 tickets for people to win a ride in his McLaren P1.

“I live a very surreal life and being the first to own all three cars does not feel real,” Bailey had told the Daily Mail in an interview. “This is why I want to use and share the cars with enthusiasts. It is too early to say which is the best as they are all totally amazing. I will be able to better comment when I have driven them back to back on the race track.”

I don’t know much about Paul Bailey and for all I know he’s a really terrific guy but this is a perfect example, in my mind, of one of our world’s biggest flaws surrounding wealth and power. Paul Bailey shouldn’t be allowed to drive his super car without the safety of everyone else taken into account. Yes, this is Malta, but it could be anywhere in America, and often is when it comes to money over regulations and safety. Ask Flint, Michigan about that.

If you want you can see the crash, there’s limited video of it below the fold. It’s short and basically what you expect.
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2016/0...h?detail=email
      02-05-2016, 09:39 AM   #2
Taylorguy74
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 550i M-Sport

Horrible event! And those barricades were a joke!

"While the driver is a collector of cars, he doesn't appear to have the necessary skills to drive such cars with such velocity," the inquiry says.

What's sad is this is most likely true for 99% of the people on the road regardless of what kind of car they drive.
Appreciate 2
      02-05-2016, 09:40 AM   #3
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylorguy74 View Post
Horrible event!

This is most likely true for 99% of the people on the road at any speed regardless of what kind of car they drive.
Not 99 percent but yes true.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 09:45 AM   #4
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

If your child were involved, you should be reported to CPS for allowing them to watch a high speed car events with joke barricades.

It's an unfortunate event, but you really can't blame the driver completely. It was on a track that wasn't properly set up for spectators. You can see something like this coming as a spectator, which is why I wouldn't be one.
Appreciate 12
      02-05-2016, 09:46 AM   #5
hockey21
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16SSM3.Prev ymbM,e46m3,e39 M5

i mean, it's not like the guy meant to do that, it was in a controlled environment, just because he wasn't as skilled as he probably should be to drive that car does not mean you should " kick the living shit out of him"
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 09:47 AM   #6
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey21 View Post
i mean, it's not like the guy meant to do that, it was in a controlled environment, just because he wasn't as skilled as he probably should be to drive that car does not mean you should " kick the living shit out of him"
Internet tough talk. It sucks, but not everything can be solved by violence.

This was clearly not all on the driver and it was accident as you said.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 09:50 AM   #7
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

One thing is certain: money does not buy driving skill. Hell of a collection he's got.
I'm with you though, he'd be in critical condition also if that were my kid. He was certainly at fault for letting his wallet exceed his ability, but it's still not as bad as drunk drivers (in my opinion).
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 09:55 AM   #8
hockey21
Captain
Rep
Drives: 16SSM3.Prev ymbM,e46m3,e39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinderpb View Post
One thing is certain: money does not buy driving skill. Hell of a collection he's got.
I'm with you though, he'd be in critical condition also if that were my kid. He was certainly at fault for letting his wallet exceed his ability, but it's still not as bad as drunk drivers (in my opinion).
i still disagree, it's an amateur sporting event, maybe kids shouldn't be in the crowd. In my opinion, it's the people who set up the driving ring, barriers, and spectator zone that are at fault.

that's like saying if you were at an amateur pond hockey games and some guy took a snapshot that hit your son in the head, would you beat him up?

or if you're at a skip barber lime rock racing event and a female driver popped the clutch and ran somebody over... i am sure the driver thought he was doing everything in control and feels awful about the mistake
Appreciate 2
      02-05-2016, 09:56 AM   #9
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

In a portion of the video he nearly lost control around a turn, and then he laughed about it. He clearly thinks it's cute. It's not...

I would hope someone there could stop me. Because I probably could not stop myself in trying to get to the guy. But a much better option would be to sue his ass into oblivion!
      02-05-2016, 09:57 AM   #10
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
If your child were involved, you should be reported to CPS for allowing them to watch a high speed car events with joke barricades.

It's an unfortunate event, but you really can't blame the driver completely. It was on a track that wasn't properly set up for spectators. You can see something like this coming as a spectator, which is why I wouldn't be one.
Whatever you say....

02-05-2016, 09:59 AM   #11
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Question

Quote:
Internet tough talk.
Not talk. Fact.

Are you a parent?
      02-05-2016, 10:02 AM   #12
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockey21 View Post
i still disagree, it's an amateur sporting event, maybe kids shouldn't be in the crowd. In my opinion, it's the people who set up the driving ring, barriers, and spectator zone that are at fault.

that's like saying if you were at an amateur pond hockey games and some guy took a snapshot that hit your son in the head, would you beat him up?

or if you're at a skip barber lime rock racing event and a female driver popped the clutch and ran somebody over... i am sure the driver thought he was doing everything in control and feels awful about the mistake
I agree with you, from the comfort of my desk, and not being in such a situation. Do take into consideration that as the father of a child who was just mauled by a supercar, you likely wouldn't be thinking calmly and rationally.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2016, 10:02 AM   #13
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSTYLE View Post
Not talk. Fact.

Are you a parent?
Yes and my kids wouldn't be there. You act so hard...if you have anything to lose, which you do if you have a wife and kids, you can't go around beating people up or your ass will be in jail. Plus, maybe the guy you think you'd beat up would beat your ass in return?
Appreciate 3
      02-05-2016, 10:03 AM   #14
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I agree with you, from the comfort of my desk, and not being in such a situation. Do take into consideration that as the father of a child who was just mauled by a supercar, you likely wouldn't be thinking calmly and rationally.
I think I'd be more concerned with my child's well-being and getting them help.
Appreciate 2
      02-05-2016, 10:03 AM   #15
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Some of us will agree to disagree. Not gonna debate my actions and why they would happen. If you are NOT a parent. You wouldn't understand. Event sponsors deserve their wallets to be emptied as well. But driver is CLEARLY out of control and the magistrate ruled HE was the one at fault. As they should.
      02-05-2016, 10:03 AM   #16
finaloption
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 f30 n26

Quote:
Whatever you say....

grow up
Appreciate 4
      02-05-2016, 10:06 AM   #17
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Some of us will agree to disagree. Not gonna debate my actions and why they would happen. If you are NOT a parent. You wouldn't understand. Event sponsors deserve their wallets to be emptied as well. But driver is CLEARLY out of control and the magistrate ruled HE was the one at fault. As they should.
Guy had a bad lawyer then.

Love the no blame for you mentality. Not only are you not to blame for being in a no safety regulated private event, you believe you are well within your parental rights to assault someone who didn't do it on purpose.

I guess you'd fight Lebron James if you had court side seats and he crashed into your kid and gave them a concussion?
Appreciate 3
      02-05-2016, 10:08 AM   #18
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Yes and my kids wouldn't be there. You act so hard...if you have anything to lose, which you do if you have a wife and kids, you can't go around beating people up or your ass will be in jail.
I don't "act anything". I simply stated what I would and will do. And I happen to know a thing or two about Civil and Criminal Law. I would be prepared to take my punishment. But that's me. You do you. There are talkers in this world and doers. Trust. I am the latter. Not many parents or humans for that matter would fault me or anyone for their actions against that asshole.
      02-05-2016, 10:14 AM   #19
thisguyhere
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw

The people organizing the event are the only ones at fault here.
Appreciate 11
      02-05-2016, 10:14 AM   #20
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I don't "act anything". I simply stated what I would and will do. And I happen to know a thing or two about Civil and Criminal Law. I would be prepared to take my punishment. But that's me. You do you. There are talkers in this world and doers. Trust. I am the latter. Not many parents or humans for that matter would fault me or anyone for their actions against that asshole.
Glad you'd be prepared to take your punishment, but it's not about you all the time.

I'm sure your wife and kids wouldn't be "prepared to take your punishment" and wouldn't enjoy visiting dad in jail or in the hospital after getting beat up.

If you know anything about law, you know it's stupid to assault someone in a situation like this. This is very different than someone committing a crime against your family or putting them in danger. You put them in danger by being there. The facility put them in danger by not being ready for the accident. And the driver has some fault too. But you're ultimately responsible for your kids' safety.
Appreciate 1
      02-05-2016, 10:15 AM   #21
TXSTYLE
"Salud"
United_States
Rep

Lightbulb

Quote:
Exactly. But who knows... Maybe he would. There is this phenomena known as "fight or flight". I also believe this can be applied to instances like this. Emotions are powerful either way. As a former cop, I've seen it all. Hopefully the families completely bankrupt his sorry ass and he gets imprisoned.
      02-05-2016, 10:16 AM   #22
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Exactly. But who knows... Maybe he would. There is this phenomena known as "fight or flight". I also believe this can be applied to instances like this. Emotions are powerful either way. As a former cop, I've seen it all. Hopefully the families completely bankrupt his sorry ass and he gets imprisoned.
Or just liquidate his car collection and give it to charity.
Appreciate 0