XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-27-2016, 07:31 AM   #1
fun ticket
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 Ford Raptor

Dollar Shave Club or Harry's

Anybody use these? Feedback?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 07:44 AM   #2
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

I use DSC with the executive razor. They are pretty good but not the best. I shave about 3 times a week and the blades start to pull at the end of the week. If you have corse hair, the executive is the way to go. I first started out with the 4X blade and it didnt give me a comfortable shave. Shipping is spot on and pretty fast. You'll get an email informing you when it's about to ship out and if you want to add anything else. You can also suspend shipping to every other month if need be.

It's pretty much hassel free.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 07:58 AM   #3
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

I bought from Harry's about 2-2.5 yrs ago when I was looking for better and cheaper alternatives to my Mach 3. I bought the Winston set. The metal handle was well made and had a nice heft. It also was not at all slippery like I thought it might be when it got water on it. What ultimately caused me to move away from Harry's was: 1) 4-blade razors clog up too easily and 2) I was more interested in double edge razors.

In all honesty, I'd still be a customer if Harry's had a 3-blade razor. While TDY, I can't bring my DE razor or shavette (cross between straight and DE razors) on a plane w/ my carry-on but a 'traditional' cartridge razor can be brought on board. I ended up getting, if you can stop giggling about the name, a Dorco Pace 3 razor off of Amazon. It is a hell of a deal.

If you don't travel much, I'd recommend going DE. You can get a decent set off amazon (e.g. Parker, Edwin Jagger, etc...) for less than a bulk pack of Gillete cartridges. I got a 150 blade 'sampler' set for like $15 and still am not a third of the way thru it (or just by Derby razors...turkish steel seems to be the best so far, IMO). There is a technique to shaving DE but it is by far a much better shave and will be cheaper than cartridge razors in the long run. You can still use foam/gel to shave or you can get a badger hair brush and go with shaving soap or bowl creams. It's old school to go this route and there something about the process that is a little zen. And I still have both ear lobes and not large scars.
      01-27-2016, 08:37 AM   #4
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
start wet shaving. better for the skin and much cheaper in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosstones View Post
If you don't travel much, I'd recommend going DE. You can get a decent set off amazon (e.g. Parker, Edwin Jagger, etc...) for less than a bulk pack of Gillete cartridges. I got a 150 blade 'sampler' set for like $15 and still am not a third of the way thru it (or just by Derby razors...turkish steel seems to be the best so far, IMO). There is a technique to shaving DE but it is by far a much better shave and will be cheaper than cartridge razors in the long run. You can still use foam/gel to shave or you can get a badger hair brush and go with shaving soap or bowl creams. It's old school to go this route and there something about the process that is a little zen. And I still have both ear lobes and not large scars.
hell yes - 100%. even IF you travel, you can always bring your brush and DE with you (sans the blades) and pick up DE blades at the nearest pharmacy. i travelled in france + italy a few months back and every pharmacy had brushes, soaps, creams, razors, and blades galore.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE

Last edited by danniexi; 01-27-2016 at 10:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 08:38 AM   #5
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

My GF purchased an orange handle and blades for me. It's not junk but I'd rather just pick up my blades at the local corner store.
I'm actually more impressed with the Gillette Sensor 3 disposable razor 4 pack.
I also usually just shave with jojoba oil.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 08:48 AM   #6
upstatedoc
I'll get back to you
Rep
Drives: blue streak

Six pack of Mach 3 disposables lasts me months and don't shave everyday
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 09:21 AM   #7
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

Haven't shaved since October and it's awesome!
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2016, 05:11 PM   #8
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
I bought from Harry's about 2-2.5 yrs ago when I was looking for better and cheaper alternatives to my Mach 3. I bought the Winston set. The metal handle was well made and had a nice heft. It also was not at all slippery like I thought it might be when it got water on it. What ultimately caused me to move away from Harry's was: 1) 4-blade razors clog up too easily and 2) I was more interested in double edge razors.

In all honesty, I'd still be a customer if Harry's had a 3-blade razor. While TDY, I can't bring my DE razor or shavette (cross between straight and DE razors) on a plane w/ my carry-on but a 'traditional' cartridge razor can be brought on board. I ended up getting, if you can stop giggling about the name, a Dorco Pace 3 razor off of Amazon. It is a hell of a deal.

i just recently started the old school method of using a DE razor with a brush and cream, and while the process does take a little longer than my old Mach3, I am quite happy with the result.
      01-27-2016, 05:17 PM   #9
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

If you give your face a month to get used to it, you'll go electric and never look back. (Good electric like Braun 7 series or high speed Panasonic, not Norelco.)
      01-27-2016, 08:12 PM   #10
Patrick303
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC

Garage List
[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU64GI0Aj3A[/u2b]

Sorry, I have nothing else to contribute to this thread. I shave with a Braun Series 7.
      01-27-2016, 08:57 PM   #11
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANGRKE70 View Post

Damn. You look a lot older with that beard now.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 1
      01-27-2016, 08:59 PM   #12
Haywood
I know a thing or 2 about a thing or 2...
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Coupe, e39 M5, i3s

Garage List
2003 BMW e39 M5  [0.00]
1997 BMW e36 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RickFLM4 View Post
If you give your face a month to get used to it, you'll go electric and never look back. (Good electric like Braun 7 series or high speed Panasonic, not Norelco.)
This. I started years ago with electric and never went back to a blade. Plus, it's so much cheaper in the long run. Braun's last forever.
2013 Mineral White e92 M3 (sold )
2014 Carbon Black 650i M-sport (sold)
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2016, 09:38 PM   #13
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I never have to worry about this stuff. Being Asian, I have virtually no facial hair. A single set if razor blades lasts me months.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 09:50 PM   #14
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by fun ticket View Post
Anybody use these? Feedback?
cheapest bulk disposable pack they sold at costco back in 2005, i'm still working on trying to burn thru them seriously

i shave about twice a week and i use the same disposable razor till the head part falls off the handle sunday nite and wednesday nite.

during each pull, i clean between the blades with water and the tiny brush i got with my hair trimmer kit. As long as you keep between the blades clear of stuff for each pull... the razor will last a long time (for me at least a month).
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 09:53 PM   #15
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick719 View Post
[u2b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bU64GI0Aj3A[/u2b]

Sorry, I have nothing else to contribute to this thread. I shave with a Braun Series 7.
is that a photo of u after shaving in your profile pic?
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2016, 11:35 PM   #16
hongsc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i

I use Harry's and Merkur DE. I like both for different reasons. Haven't tried DSC.
      01-29-2016, 12:28 AM   #17
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANGRKE70

...and long beards have been proven to contain (among many items) fecal matter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 1
      01-29-2016, 09:31 AM   #18
Sidewinderpb
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6mt

Electric on face, Harry's for manscaping.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 09:46 AM   #19
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
hell yes - 100%. even IF you travel, you can always bring your brush and DE with you (sans the blades) and pick up DE blades at the nearest pharmacy. i travelled in france + italy a few months back and every pharmacy had brushes, soaps, creams, razors, and blades galore.
I got a small kit from The Art of Shaving store as a gift a couple years ago. It had a small badger hair brush and tube of shaving cream. Those are in my travel kit since they are nice and small. Usually when I'm on travel, there is not much around and spare time is quite short (80+ hour weeks) so I never get around to stopping by a pharmacy (if there is one). If nothing else, it reminds me how much better of a shave the DE gives. As cheap as the Pace 3 razor & replacement cartridges are, the DE is still cheaper in the long run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
i just recently started the old school method of using a DE razor with a brush and cream, and while the process does take a little longer than my old Mach3, I am quite happy with the result.
The time will come down as you go. It only takes me a few more minutes than cartridge razor shaving now. I have a shavette (straight razor style/body but uses replaceable blades)....now that takes me a while. I find it harder to adapt to than DE did.
      01-29-2016, 10:44 AM   #20
fcman
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 G87

Quote:
I got a small kit from The Art of Shaving store as a gift a couple years ago. It had a small badger hair brush and tube of shaving cream. Those are in my travel kit since they are nice and small. Usually when I'm on travel, there is not much around and spare time is quite short (80+ hour weeks) so I never get around to stopping by a pharmacy (if there is one). If nothing else, it reminds me how much better of a shave the DE gives. As cheap as the Pace 3 razor & replacement cartridges are, the DE is still cheaper in the long run.

The time will come down as you go. It only takes me a few more minutes than cartridge razor shaving now. I have a shavette (straight razor style/body but uses replaceable blades)....now that takes me a while. I find it harder to adapt to than DE did.
I also have an Art of Shaving DE kit. And yeah, the time to shave goes down significantly as you get more comfortable and the blades are dirt cheap (the blades sold at AoS are mid-low quality and very expensive though). The current blades I use for my every day shave (Astra Platinum) were $10 for 100 blades, and each one lasts about a week.

What most people don't realize is that the blade you use makes a huge difference. The Astra's have a mild edge so I can shave my whole face in a few minutes, while a super-sharp like Feather blades are so sharp that you need to take your time, but you will get the best shave of your life, assuming you don't cut yourself up.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2016, 12:45 PM   #21
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcman View Post
I also have an Art of Shaving DE kit. And yeah, the time to shave goes down significantly as you get more comfortable and the blades are dirt cheap (the blades sold at AoS are mid-low quality and very expensive though). The current blades I use for my every day shave (Astra Platinum) were $10 for 100 blades, and each one lasts about a week.

What most people don't realize is that the blade you use makes a huge difference. The Astra's have a mild edge so I can shave my whole face in a few minutes, while a super-sharp like Feather blades are so sharp that you need to take your time, but you will get the best shave of your life, assuming you don't cut yourself up.
Fully agree wrt AoS. Prices are crazy.

Actually.....I didn't know that either but it makes sense. That might explain a few things....lol. I bought 100 or 150 (I forget now...) sampler pack of blades from Amazon and it had razors/steel and brands from different countries. I actually liked the Bic blades and the Derby is probably my running favorite right now....lasted forever. I noticed a different in the shave from certain makes, but figured it was maybe a quality issue than an intentional sharpness thing.

Do you use an alum block? I got some styptic pencils but am too stubborn to use them if I do get a nic. I thought about getting an alum bloc, though.
      01-29-2016, 06:12 PM   #22
CANGRKE70
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haywood View Post
Damn. You look a lot older with that beard now.
Yes...but manlier too.
Appreciate 0