XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-05-2010, 07:01 PM   #1
x6er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: x6 35i black on black

Ticking noise

owners of the 35i model,

do you hear a ticking noise coming from th engine? it is a harsh pitch when it first starts (for about 30 seconds), then it becomes a uniform ticking noise...to me it sounds like lifters, but may be a bit slower...remember this is when idling.

another thing I noticed while in th passenger seat is that there is a bit of vibration under my feet especially when not pushing on the gas ...

in general the car seems a bit rougher than my ex 530!!! seems like air flow in the exhaust issue...

any comments ?
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 09:05 AM   #2
Jaijai
Banned
Rep
Drives: Alpineweiss M3

I hear ticking noise only after I turn off the engine after a long ride but it has been kinda normal with all my BMWs .....
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 10:16 AM   #3
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Hydrolic valve lifters, and yes, even with overhead cam you have them, require oil pressure to stay pumped up. The pressure within the lifters quickly dissipates as soon as you turn off your engine. When you start you engine the oil pump circulates oil within the engine oil galleys, but as your can imagine, oil has to be delivered and pressurized at the furthest point before the entire assembly can reach operating pressure - that takes a few seconds, especially if it's cold and the oil moves a little slower. BMW's valve train is noisy anyway, made worse by all the extra VANOS stuff.

So, the moral to the story: 1) It's normal to hear the valve train make noise with you first start your car, 2) it's not abnormal to hear a slight ticking sound coming from the top of the engine while it's running.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 11:46 AM   #4
x6er
Private First Class
Rep

yes it could be the lifters, although I think there is a problem. the ticking/knocking noise does not go away, its coming from the left top side of the engine..where the valves are.
I owned two BMWs before, this one is different. in all honestly, it sounds like a diesel engine..I hate to say that, but its that bad.
for a car with only 2,000 kilometers that is worrisom the least...its going to the dealer on Monday for this noise and another from the steering wheel (whining noise when turns). the car is a lease so I'm not extremely worried.
I would like to hear from other 35i owners if they have this ticking noise and how loud it is.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 03:26 PM   #5
watoowatoo
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 35i X6

This noise is a sticky in E90 post for 335i which has same engine:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13504

Besides that, I heard that if you use lower than 91 octane gas, different timing of cylinder firings cause a noise from engine too. So make sure you use premium gas.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 03:41 PM   #6
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Yeah, read that thread some time ago - was grinding my teeth through most of it. One guy convinced his dealer to replace the entire head, then complained that the noise was still there.

People today are so removed from the days when cars made "normal" noises they can't imagine hearing anything except the radio. If they wanted something totally silent they should have got an electric car. Then the complaint would be "it's too silent, what's wrong with it?" It doesn't have a motor you idiot.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 02-06-2010 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 08:12 PM   #7
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

as long as a count down timer doesn't show up on you nav screen i wouldn't worry about it that much. newer bimmers do seem to be noisier.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 09:47 PM   #8
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
as long as a count down timer doesn't show up on you nav screen i wouldn't worry about it that much.
ROTFLOL
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2010, 11:37 PM   #9
Hamed
Private
Bahrain
Rep
Drives: X6

I hear that when the A/C is turned on..and the car is in the P..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 05:32 AM   #10
tjl18
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW X6 35i

I hear a slight ticking noise on my 35i, which reminds me of a diesel engine, but nothing to worry about. Maybe yours is very loud? I think it is normal. My X6 is two weeks old.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2010, 10:17 AM   #11
x6er
Private First Class
Rep

hello again,
the car has a little over 2000 km on it, its a month old, babyed it all a long to break in properly, only filled up Sunoco 94 Octane.
IO realize that some BMW engines are a bit noisy but it should not be this way or that much.
The ticks are from the exhaust side of the engine, together with the roughness (vibration or turbulent air movement) I feel in the foot wells, I think that the exhaust is not as smooth as it needs to be.

I owned a 530 few years back and the engine was so smooth, you would think it was an 8 cylinder under the hood...this one sound like a 4 at best or a refined diesel.

the car is going to the dealer tomorrow...I will post the findings.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 08:06 PM   #12
x6er
Private First Class
Rep

Hi all
the car is back from the dealer...in short, the SA says that the ticking noise is normal, he says they are the injectors...!!! I am not convinced that this is normal, having said that, the engine functions fine.
if this is normal, then BMW needs to refine this engine big time...performance wise, its an awsome engine, but those ticks at idle is annoying to say the least.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 09:55 PM   #13
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

I have to agree , I would expect a car that cost this much to be very quiet inside (which it isn't, too much wind noise) and outside the only thing i would expect to hear is the rumble of the exhaust. It sounds like a car with bad lifters.

But if it makes you feel any better BMW stopped listening to their customers a long time ago (we are privileged to buy their cars), so it's not personal. I guess they will pay attention about the time the turbo lag issue hits press the way toyota's acceleration/brake issue did.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 09:59 PM   #14
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
I guess they will pay attention about the time the turbo lag issue hits press the way toyota's acceleration/brake issue did.
Yah, you wonder why it's taking so long.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 10:33 PM   #15
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Yah, you wonder why it's taking so long.
someone will have to get clobbered first, like the chp officer and his family when accelerator stuck on his Lexus. A number of years ago ford had a hesitation problem , nothing was done until someone got clobbered. I am very careful when I decide to jump into another lane in traffic, not relying on being able to stomp on it and get instant response.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 11:31 PM   #16
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Bummer!

BMW is at the top of the cycle now. But arrogance breeds compliancy and contempt, that leads to mistakes which can be very costly and a tough fall to pick yourself up from. It’s a shame because I don’t think it’s a big problem to resolve.
Appreciate 0