XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-10-2010, 02:03 PM   #23
titaniumx6
Rep
Drives: x6 5.0 BEAST

Hey SAL sorry bud ive been to busy flooring and tossing this BEAST around!!!

As far as the tail lights that you guys have been asking about Sal can speak further on the subject but I know he used a Spray Tint ... AWESOME JOB!!!! During the day with the lights off its almost completely blacks a very menacing MEAN look When the lights are turned on at night alot of the tail does stay black but the light does shine through perfectly so no worries of getting pulled over! couldnt be happier with the way they came out

Emblems were just a last second idea but I really like how they came out and are subtle black accents that play along with the whole theme of the car.

Paddles - As i described earlier Sal developed an adapter kit to change the standard paddles to work like M-DCT ... Haven't played around with them to much but every time I do i want to smack myself for not lol awesome get to keep both hands on the wheels(necessary as youll hear later ) and kills the confusion on the standard set up.

Springs - I love the way the car looks now just perfect and kills the is it a truck because of all the wheel well space or a car because of the roofline ?? Its just a straight BEAST now ... As far as the way the car drives .. Ride is much stiffer which is weird after reading reviews of H&R springs saying they were close or better then stock ... Sal actually aligned my car to X6M spec and WOW This thing handles like its on rails!! Sal said it perfectly to me "its like a GIANT go-cart" hahah weird but that is how it feels. It has absolutely no body roll at all now and just slices and dices through curves amazing.

ECU - Now lets get down to what everyone wants to hear about ...
When I first hopped in the car and floored it I looked over at Sal and asked him wtf did you do to my car?! Its an absolute BEAST ! I Really dont doubt the 93hp/85 lb/ft gain at all the way this thing pulls through 1st,2nd,3rd, it just never stops your just stuck to the back of the seat going for a ride the whole time! I actually brake torque launched it .. Held brake down nailed gas until revs held at a little above 3,000rpm and let go ... I burned all four tires out and took off cant wait to get this bad boy to the drag strip!

Well thats all for now i still have more mods planned for the near future so keep your eyes open.

Again I really would like to Thank Sal and AutoCoutureMotoring for the work and service they provided! Sal was always there for me answering every text i sent, sending me pic messages of every little update, I felt like i was there with him building the car! Great job guys! All my future mods will be going through this shop so glad I got pointed your way!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 02:10 PM   #24
Sal@AUTOcouture
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by titaniumx6 View Post

As far as the tail lights that you guys have been asking about Sal can speak further on the subject but I know he used a Spray Tint ... AWESOME JOB!!!! During the day with the lights off its almost completely blacks a very menacing MEAN look When the lights are turned on at night alot of the tail does stay black but the light does shine through perfectly so no worries of getting pulled over! couldnt be happier with the way they came out

Emblems were just a last second idea but I really like how they came out and are subtle black accents that play along with the whole theme of the car.

Paddles - As i described earlier Sal developed an adapter kit to change the standard paddles to work like M-DCT ... Haven't played around with them to much but every time I do i want to smack myself for not lol awesome get to keep both hands on the wheels(necessary as youll hear later ) and kills the confusion on the standard set up.

Springs - I love the way the car looks now just perfect and kills the is it a truck because of all the wheel well space or a car because of the roofline ?? Its just a straight BEAST now ... As far as the way the car drives .. Ride is much stiffer which is weird after reading reviews of H&R springs saying they were close or better then stock ... Sal actually aligned my car to X6M spec and WOW This thing handles like its on rails!! Sal said it perfectly to me "its like a GIANT go-cart" hahah weird but that is how it feels. It has absolutely no body roll at all now and just slices and dices through curves amazing.

When I first hopped in the car and floored it I looked over at Sal and asked him wtf did you do to my car?! Its an absolute BEAST ! I Really dont doubt the 93hp/85 lb/ft gain at all the way this thing pulls through 1st,2nd,3rd, it just never stops your just stuck to the back of the seat going for a ride the whole time! I actually brake torque launched it .. Held brake down nailed gas until revs held at a little above 3,000rpm and let go ... I burned all four tires out and took off cant wait to get this bad boy to the drag strip!

Well thats all for now i still have more mods planned for the near future so keep your eyes open.

Again I really would like to Thank Sal and AutoCoutureMotoring for the work and service they provided! Sal was always there for me answering every text i sent, sending me pic messages of every little update, I felt like i was there with him building the car! Great job guys! All my future mods will be going through this shop so glad I got pointed your way!

Glad to help, Erol. If you ever need anything don't hesitate. You got my number

-Sal
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 03:12 PM   #25
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X6 5.0i

Quote:

Congrats on your ride. I was wondering if you can tell me what size your wheels are and what tire size you are running. Are you using spacers at all? Again, the car looks amazing. THX
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 04:51 PM   #26
bleudyno
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 Melbourne Red X6///M

Garage List
2010 X6M  [9.50]
2010 X6M  [0.00]
what is that big silver metal block with the RD Sport plastic bag over it?

X6///M Melbourne Red/Merino Black leather MODS: Matte black grill, Tinted head lights, Euro clear side reflectors w/ tint, Tinted white stip on tail lights, 22" Iforged Legacy Convave (Matte black center with Gloss black lip) RPI Race exhaust, Vorsteiner CF front lip, CF rear deck lid spoiler, CF rear diffuser, vented CF race hood, RPI intake scoops UPCOMING MODS: RPI software tune
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 05:21 PM   #27
Sal@AUTOcouture
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by REInvestor View Post
Congrats on your ride. I was wondering if you can tell me what size your wheels are and what tire size you are running. Are you using spacers at all? Again, the car looks amazing. THX
OEM Sport 20" with 275/40-20 and 315/35-20. No spacers on his setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleudyno View Post
what is that big silver metal block with the RD Sport plastic bag over it?
That would be the ECU of the truck
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 06:05 PM   #28
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sal@AUTOcouture View Post
OEM Sport 20" with 275/40-20 and 315/35-20. No spacers on his setup.

Sal,
Can you tell me what the exact wheel size are for the front and back? I'm trying to look for some aftermarket wheels that will run that tire set up. Do you also know if there is an offset number as well? Thanks for the info. Do you have a shop somewhere in the DC area?
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 06:15 PM   #29
Sal@AUTOcouture
Rep

Quote:
Sal,
Can you tell me what the exact wheel size are for the front and back? I'm trying to look for some aftermarket wheels that will run that tire set up. Do you also know if there is an offset number as well? Thanks for the info. Do you have a shop somewhere in the DC area?
20x10 front ET40
20x11 rear ET37

Personally, I'd go with a setup thats more aggressive than the stock (or run a spacer). Looking at Erol's car, you can easily get away with something that has a 20mm more aggressive setup!

Currently have 1 location here in Hillsdale, NJ. Which is a few hours from you, but I can assure you we're worth the trip.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 06:58 PM   #30
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
20x10 front ET40
20x11 rear ET37

Personally, I'd go with a setup thats more aggressive than the stock (or run a spacer). Looking at Erol's car, you can easily get away with something that has a 20mm more aggressive setup!

Currently have 1 location here in Hillsdale, NJ. Which is a few hours from you, but I can assure you we're worth the trip.
Can you tell me what ET means? Is that the offset? I'm still confuse as to what offset means and what is the function of it in relations to the wheel.

I'm looking for something a little more aggressive as well. What do you recommend as far as wheel size setup? I would like to stick to 20" wheels if possible. Any recommendation on wheel manufacturer as well? I have a 2010 Black Saphire 50i. Thanks for all the info Sal.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 07:50 PM   #31
Sal@AUTOcouture
Rep

Quote:
Can you tell me what ET means? Is that the offset? I'm still confuse as to what offset means and what is the function of it in relations to the wheel.

I'm looking for something a little more aggressive as well. What do you recommend as far as wheel size setup? I would like to stick to 20" wheels if possible. Any recommendation on wheel manufacturer as well? I have a 2010 Black Saphire 50i. Thanks for all the info Sal.
Well ET is a German word "Einpresstiefe".....in short, its Offset

Basically offset is a measurement from the hub of the wheel to the centerline of the wheel. A lower offset means the more it sticks out and higher the more it sinks into the fender.

OEM sizes are cool, the car has a great look, but the offsets could be a little lower. You have 2 options here: run spacers, or purchase wheels with lower offsets (somewhere in the 20's).

Personally, I like the OEM 20" or 21". You can have them powdercoated a different color to stand out too.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 08:59 PM   #32
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Well ET is a German word "Einpresstiefe".....in short, its Offset

Basically offset is a measurement from the hub of the wheel to the centerline of the wheel. A lower offset means the more it sticks out and higher the more it sinks into the fender.

OEM sizes are cool, the car has a great look, but the offsets could be a little lower. You have 2 options here: run spacers, or purchase wheels with lower offsets (somewhere in the 20's).

Personally, I like the OEM 20" or 21". You can have them powdercoated a different color to stand out too.
I got a great price on OEM double spoke star 21's, but decided against it because it's so hard to find tires for it. I certainly do not want to run run-flat tires. Do you have any recommendation on wheels I should look at? I prefer staggered 20's while trying to stay away from 3-piece wheels. Thanks Sal
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 09:34 PM   #33
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

titaniumx6 and Sal, I got to hand it to you guys, lowering the rig looks fantastic!

I'm sure there are many different opinions on it, but I think of the X6 more of a coupe rather than a tall stance suv. You may have mentioned it and I didn't pick up on it, but how much did you lower the car?

Quote:
I think I'm still confused about the silver box ecu. It was my understanding until now that you actually flash programed the truck's existing ecu while in the vehicle, rather than pull it out or install a different one.

However, in the photo it looks like you have a complete ecu out of the vehicle. Do you remove the existing one and install another one that's already programed? Sort of a exchange process?

Last edited by teagueAMX; 02-10-2010 at 09:44 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #34
Sal@AUTOcouture
Rep

Quote:
I got a great price on OEM double spoke star 21's, but decided against it because it's so hard to find tires for it. I certainly do not want to run run-flat tires. Do you have any recommendation on wheels I should look at? I prefer staggered 20's while trying to stay away from 3-piece wheels. Thanks Sal
I'm all about OEM, unless you're going 22"+

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
I think I'm still confused about the ecu. It was my understanding that you actually flash programed the truck's existing ecu, rather than pull it out or install a different one.

In the photo it looks like you have a complete ecu out of the vehicle. Do you remove the existing one and install another one that's already programed? Sort of a exchange process?
The stock ECU had to be removed and sent out to RD Sport for flashing. We're currently working on acquiring the tools necessary to do this in-house. Which would make things ALOT easier for us!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 09:56 PM   #35
SKYHI
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Titanium Silver X6

Garage List
2009 X6 35i  [0.00]
That would be the ECU of the truck [/QUOTE]

Sal, I looked at RD Sport's site but information is limited. Is their ECU a plug and play replacement box or is it a complex install that requires programming and such. Also I noticed the one for the 35i provides 56 additional HP as opposed to the 98 for the 50i. What is the cost and is it a better buy than the JB3? Thanks ahead and keep up the great work!!
      02-10-2010, 10:02 PM   #36
Sal@AUTOcouture
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHI View Post

Sal, I looked at RD Sport's site but information is limited. Is their ECU a plug and play replacement box or is it a complex install that requires programming and such. Also I noticed the one for the 35i provides 56 additional HP as opposed to the 98 for the 50i. What is the cost and is it a better buy than the JB3? Thanks ahead and keep up the great work!![/QUOTE]

The RD Sport is a reflash, not a piggyback like the JB3. The reflash for the 50i is $1995 (not sure about the cost of the one for the 35i, but can find out for you). I am a huge fan of Burger Tuning (I'm a vendor for them as well) and have nothing but great things to say about the JB3 (ran one in my previous 335 and by the end of the week will run one in my 135). Dollar for dollar, it cannot be beat compared to other piggybacks. ECU flashes generally carry a premium over a piggyback (not really sure why). Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2010, 10:28 PM   #37
SKYHI
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Titanium Silver X6

Garage List
2009 X6 35i  [0.00]
Quote:
Sal, I looked at RD Sport's site but information is limited. Is their ECU a plug and play replacement box or is it a complex install that requires programming and such. Also I noticed the one for the 35i provides 56 additional HP as opposed to the 98 for the 50i. What is the cost and is it a better buy than the JB3? Thanks ahead and keep up the great work!!
The RD Sport is a reflash, not a piggyback like the JB3. The reflash for the 50i is $1995 (not sure about the cost of the one for the 35i, but can find out for you). I am a huge fan of Burger Tuning (I'm a vendor for them as well) and have nothing but great things to say about the JB3 (ran one in my previous 335 and by the end of the week will run one in my 135). Dollar for dollar, it cannot be beat compared to other piggybacks. ECU flashes generally carry a premium over a piggyback (not really sure why). Hope that helps![/QUOTE]

Very much appreciated, do you know roughly the HP gain delivered by the JB3? And thanks again, it's nice to get direct answers as opposed to the.... well you know! Haha!
      02-11-2010, 01:55 AM   #38
titaniumx6
Rep

Actually just read the last part of your comment LANDLORD ill take back my HATER comment lol Yea I also have a Lexus ls460 as a DD and a Family rosso vik murcielago roadster that me my brother and father rotate

The LS is completely stock and the X6 is my project car
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 01:58 AM   #39
titaniumx6
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
titaniumx6 and Sal, I got to hand it to you guys, lowering the rig looks fantastic!

I'm sure there are many different opinions on it, but I think of the X6 more of a coupe rather than a tall stance suv. You may have mentioned it and I didn't pick up on it, but how much did you lower the car?

I think I'm still confused about the silver box ecu. It was my understanding until now that you actually flash programed the truck's existing ecu while in the vehicle, rather than pull it out or install a different one.

However, in the photo it looks like you have a complete ecu out of the vehicle. Do you remove the existing one and install another one that's already programed? Sort of a exchange process?
2" drop in the front and the rear is self leveling
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 02:25 AM   #40
REInvestor
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
2" drop in the front and the rear is self leveling
Is it possible you can take a closer picture of a straight up side shot, without any kind of angle? I'd also like to see if you can give more feedback on the handling after the drop? Thank you. You're X6 looks awesome.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 07:42 AM   #41
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Isnt the tranny the same on all x6's?? The ZF 6speed correct me if i'm wrong?
Correct me if I'm wrong guys, but I think the X6 and X6 ///M auto trans are the same. If I recall correctly, they tune the ///M to help the trans absorb the huge tq better during shifts by cutting the throttle for a millisecond.

Last edited by teagueAMX; 02-11-2010 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2010, 08:13 AM   #42
Sal@AUTOcouture
Rep

Quote:
Sal we talked about throwing rims on this beast ... What do you think about throwing the 20mm spacers on and black powdercoating my OEM rims?
I think its a great way to save $5k+ lol
Appreciate 0