XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

12-30-2009, 01:06 PM   #1
Thumbs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 X5 3.0 5-spd, '10 X6 i35,

Soft close Doors- do they stop slamming?

Hi Everyone,

My '01 X5 survived another visit from my door-slamming dad, with me cringing frequently at his efforts to throw the doors off of their hinges.

We are ordering or X6 today, or before the end of the week for sure, and I am now wondering about the soft-close door option for it. I understand how they work when someone gently closes the door, but what happens when someone like my dad gives the door a good swing? Does some mechanism slow the door prior to impact or does it slam like any other door?

Thanks,

Randy
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 01:30 PM   #2
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs View Post
Hi Everyone,

My '01 X5 survived another visit from my door-slamming dad, with me cringing frequently at his efforts to throw the doors off of their hinges.

We are ordering or X6 today, or before the end of the week for sure, and I am now wondering about the soft-close door option for it. I understand how they work when someone gently closes the door, but what happens when someone like my dad gives the door a good swing? Does some mechanism slow the door prior to impact or does it slam like any other door?

Thanks,

Randy
If you slam a BMW car door with the soft close option, the doors do in fact slam. Soft close merely closes the door in the event it is not closed far enough to latch.

So they are not really soft close doors. The option is more of a "close assist."
      12-30-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
DK35
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: The MONSTR

Garage List
2010 X6 50i  [9.34]
I have the option on mine. I really like it. It's like a door sealer. Weather you slam it closed or just barely close it, it goes through the same motion every time. Just tell people to barely close the door and watch what it does. They will remember the next time. It's a pretty cool option.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2009, 06:02 PM   #4
727jbh
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8 GC Donington Grey

I have this option on my 7 and when my parents are with me the soft close pulls the door close, then they reopen the door and slam the door. I guess they think an automated door doesn't close. And it doesn't matter if you tell them of this feature, they forget and still slam the door. Oh well, I enjoy my time with them and just let it go. HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 07:12 AM   #5
Thumbs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 X5 3.0 5-spd, '10 X6 i35,

We have our new X6- and I love it.

But I wish I had gone for the soft close doors! Without that option you do have to give the doors a little extra effort when closing to overcome the air pressure inside the cabin and the seals on the doors. Not a big deal, but the self-closing feature is cool and would have been nice.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 10:32 PM   #6
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Strongg Man Slams Door!

Why not kid with him & ask him to pick up the car & slam it vs. the door instead!
Seriously, if u open the window a bit, the interior air can escape out when a door closes, rather than having to be compressed/squeezed in.
Appreciate 0