XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

10-28-2009, 09:17 AM   #1
ronald_adi
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: X6 40d

Question Is Active Suspension worth it? Help

Hi, i am in the middle of choosing the options of my car, and its getting very expensive. For that reason i would like to know from those who have it, whether it is something that they could have done without, or do u really value it?

For eg. i have voice control on my current 535d and I never use it.

ronald
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 10:31 AM   #2
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

I have active suspension and love it, when I want to "test" the handling capabilities (usually when my wife isn't with me) I just push the button (you do notice the firmer ride), then push the pedal.

I do think it's one of those personal choice issues depending on how you drive.
I like it because when I want sportier handling I can get it but don't have to put up with getting beat up all the time under normal driving.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2009, 01:08 PM   #3
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

I think the X6 without DPC would drive like an X5. Not sure why it is even an option on the X6 since that is the point, handling.

I see no reason to buy an X6 over an X5 if they handle the same.
      10-29-2009, 04:59 AM   #4
ronald_adi
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: X6 40d

thanks for the inout guys. So to summarize it is essential for better handling.

But what about the softest setting for bad roads and bumps? Do u feel a considerably better ride when u put it on soft for the bad roads and speed bumps?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 11:17 AM   #5
Kojak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 535i M-Sport

Its much better on rough roads than other BMW models that don't have the feature. In my opinion at least, even in the sport setting its better.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2009, 08:02 PM   #6
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronald_adi View Post
thanks for the inout guys. So to summarize it is essential for better handling.

But what about the softest setting for bad roads and bumps? Do u feel a considerably better ride when u put it on soft for the bad roads and speed bumps?
Standard setting (or soft as you call it) causes the car to handle like a 3 or 5 series only I believe the ride is smooth in the X6 overall most likely due to its weight.

When the suspension is put in sport mode, the the suspension tightens up and has less give (maybe 10-20%) allowing it to take corners at highers speeds with even less roll. I rarely use the sport button as the car is amazing with or without it. However the DPC feature has no bearing on the sport mode. It is merely a suspension stiffener adjustment.
      10-30-2009, 04:56 AM   #7
XBMW6
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 740Li 2021 M850i

I believe you're referring to "Adaptive Drive" option. Here's a description of this feature from BMW site:

"On every curve, on every road surface: Adaptive Drive counteracts the forces that cause body roll. Your BMW handles with outstanding sporting agility, while also ensuring a very comfortable journey for you and your passengers. Body roll is practically eliminated, and winding roads can be enjoyed with a maximum of stability and safety.

The proven effectiveness of BMW's innovative chassis control systems, Dynamic Drive and Variable Damper Control (VDC) work closely together to deliver an outstandingly smooth ride and enhanced agility. Sensors in your BMW permanently monitor vehicle speed, steering-wheel position and the pitch and yaw forces acting on the chassis. Using this data, the system precisely adjusts the stabilisers and the dampers, changing their settings quickly and accurately. This coordinated interaction of dampers and stabilisers counteracts the forces that cause the body to roll or sway. Your BMW hugs the road, delivers neutral self-steering behaviour, outstanding agility and shorter braking distances.
Furthermore, Adaptive Drive adjusts the suspension settings to suit the character of the road surface. Each axle has its own independent motor that can adjust the dampers on each individual wheel. When the road surface under one side of the vehicle differs in character from that on the other side - such as when driving on roads with gravel shoulders - Adaptive Drive instantly adjusts the suspension settings of the wheels on one side to practically eliminate any perceptible unevenness in the road. In addition, you can choose between a more comfortable default setting for the suspension, or a more sporting setting.
Such high-speed calculations and responses demand a high-performance electronics system. Adaptive Drive utilises FlexRay, a high-speed data transfer system that networks sensors, control units and stabilisers."

Read the highlighted paragraph. Adaptive drive is not only about changing the suspension settings when switching the sport mode, it constantly monitors the road surface and adjusts the suspension settings based on the road condition in order to give you the best possible ride. I ordered this option for my 2010 X6 because I believe it's worth it based on my experience. I've had it in my previous 7-series and it makes a substantial improvement in handling.

Last edited by XBMW6; 10-30-2009 at 07:48 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #8
Low Note
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 X3/2010 X6 5.0

Quote:
Hi, i am in the middle of choosing the options of my car, and its getting very expensive. For that reason i would like to know from those who have it, whether it is something that they could have done without, or do u really value it?

ronald
Yes, it is definitely worth it. My 2010 X6 5.0 came in last week, and the active suspension with comfort and sport settings is amazing. Vehicle handles like it is on rails, and no body lean at all. No, the option is not inexpensive (even in the USA, where we actually pay less for the X models than European markets), but I cannot imagine driving this 5,000 pound monster without such great dynamic control.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 12:45 AM   #9
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

Is Adaptive Drive worth it??

Quote:

ronald
http://paultan.org/2006/11/21/2007-b...ive-in-athens/

Watch the video on the Adaptive Drive about 1/2 way thru this web page, then ask urself how u drive.
If u drive like u have an aquarium filled w/ H2O in a station wagon, then u don't need it. u don't need x6 if that's ur drive style.
Have you ever had a 2 seater sports car? If yes, & u like dynamic handling & the feel of a sportscar then u should definitely get it even if u have to give up other options.
Test drive one fast with adaptive & drive one without back to back.
IMO, DPC without adaptive drive is like apple pie without ice cream.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 07:57 AM   #10
Thumbs
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '01 X5 3.0 5-spd, '10 X6 i35,

Adaptive Drive became a must have after reading these posts- and I am glad we have it. The roads in Michigan continue to deteriorate and I was concerned about the (relatively) low profile run-flat tires on 19" rims, coupled with a SUV-type suspension, creating a jarring ride. With Adaptive Suspension- no worries! The ride is smoother than my X5 with 235/65/17 non-run-flat tires, and less harsh than our '07 Subaru Outback. You'll still know the larger bumps are there, which is good, but they are not annoying or harsh. Putting it in Sport mode adds a bit of edge to the impacts and you feel more of the road texture but it is not a huge difference in non-spirited driving. Ours is still in the break-in period so I haven't had a chance to real throw it around. That, and the snow/slush/slop on the roads--- I just can't bring myself to ruin the beautiful wax job I just did!
Appreciate 0