XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

08-17-2008, 08:36 PM   #1
Elevated
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06

Anyone try to order an X6 recently?

Hello all,
I went to my local BMW dealer this weekend and loved the X6. They had one 35i in stock that I got to look over. It was not the color or options that I wanted, so I was planning to order (I also want a 50i instead).

However, I was then told it would be 4-5 months before I got the car. Is this the typical wait time to get an ordered car? I live in south Florida so its not like I live overseas. They seem to think its longer now because BMW is sending more cars overseas and not domestically.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2008, 10:48 PM   #2
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevated View Post
Hello all,
I went to my local BMW dealer this weekend and loved the X6. They had one 35i in stock that I got to look over. It was not the color or options that I wanted, so I was planning to order (I also want a 50i instead).

However, I was then told it would be 4-5 months before I got the car. Is this the typical wait time to get an ordered car? I live in south Florida so its not like I live overseas. They seem to think its longer now because BMW is sending more cars overseas and not domestically.
As far as I know, the scheduled production for all 08 X6 models is completely sold out.

I have ordered my X6 xDrive50i at the end of May and I am still waiting.

I just had my wife's car in for maintenance and wanted to get an update on my order but unfortunately my sales guy wasn't there that day, so I asked the girl at the reception and apparently she talked to the manager. The manager told her that Canada will be getting the 09 model series X6 xDrive50i's but production will not start until October or November!!!!

I wasn't happy to hear that at all!!!!! She told me that I should really talk to my sales guy and he would be able to give me a complete update on the situation (She had that 'I'm just the messenger so don't kill me' look on her face!). So I will call him on Monday and see what's up.

I'm not happy, but at this stage and this late into the year, I definitely do not want to get an 08 model. Hopefully the 09 model will have the new iDrive system. Once I do get some feedback, I'll post it here since I know that there are other fellow Canadians here that are looking to buy the 50i....
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 08:34 AM   #3
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
As far as I know, the scheduled production for all 08 X6 models is completely sold out.

I just had my wife's car in for maintenance and wanted to get an update on my order but unfortunately my sales guy wasn't there that day, so I asked the girl at the reception and apparently she talked to the manager. The manager told her that Canada will be getting the 09 model series X6 xDrive50i's but production will not start until October or November!!!!

I wasn't happy to hear that at all!!!!! She told me that I should really talk to my sales guy and he would be able to give me a complete update on the situation (She had that 'I'm just the messenger so don't kill me' look on her face!). So I will call him on Monday and see what's up.

I'm not happy, but at this stage and this late into the year, I definitely do not want to get an 08 model. Hopefully the 09 model will have the new iDrive system. Once I do get some feedback, I'll post it here since I know that there are other fellow Canadians here that are looking to buy the 50i....
Canadian production of the 50i begins in September with deliveries from October on. They will all be '09 models. They will not have the new iDrive -- that doesn't come with the X6 until April or May.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 12:17 PM   #4
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:

After driving my x50i for 5 days I would say get either year as soon as you can, this car is sooo fun to drive. Not huge difference between 08 and 09, unless the idrive is gold plated and has an act not worth waiting for.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 12:25 PM   #5
JeffCBH
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW X6 50i

Agreed. The V8 specifically is a fantastic drive. Absolutely thrilling for a vehicle this size. Wow.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 01:26 PM   #6
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
After driving my x50i for 5 days I would say get either year as soon as you can, this car is sooo fun to drive. Not huge difference between 08 and 09, unless the idrive is gold plated and has an act not worth waiting for.
Well, I would if I could... ordered it back in May... Still waiting.

Canada will only get the 09 model year of the X6 xDrive50i...
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 02:04 PM   #7
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
...unless the idrive is gold plated and has an act not worth waiting for.
The new iDrive has a quite different menu structure and user interface from the existing one, more like Audi's MMI. I haven't seen one but if you google around enough you can find snippets of information and a few pictures. It will first appear in the 750; I think the X6 is next in line after that. I am not an iDrive fan, so I am quite prepared to wait a few months for what has been generally described as a big improvement. If someone likes iDrive the way it is, there probably isn't a reason to wait for the new one.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 02:15 PM   #8
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie's Dad View Post
The new iDrive has a quite different menu structure and user interface from the existing one, more like Audi's MMI. I haven't seen one but if you google around enough you can find snippets of information and a few pictures. It will first appear in the 750; I think the X6 is next in line after that. I am not an iDrive fan, so I am quite prepared to wait a few months for what has been generally described as a big improvement. If someone likes iDrive the way it is, there probably isn't a reason to wait for the new one.
I like the current version of the iDrive, but I am looking forward to the new iDrive menu structure and features. I've seen some kind of demonstration video of the new iDrive and I was quite impressed (compared to the current version). Unfortunately, I do not remember where I've seen the demo ...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 03:03 PM   #9
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

i am buying a car,ultimate driving machine! not idrive..so i dont care much about that...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 03:44 PM   #10
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

From Wikipedia (which could mean nothing...):

A new iDrive system will be inaugurated in the new 7 series, end 2008. It will be very different to use from the current one. The most important features of the new system will be:
- a three dimensions navigation system,
- a high definition screen,
- an "assistant screen" in front of the steering wheel (for avoiding drivers' tendency to look away the road to look at the main screen), much like in Audi models,
- a hard drive which will be able to store music,
- the "command button" will be supplied next to it by other shortcut buttons for the main functions.

From an English car magazine:

Flat menu trees and familiar systematic with cascaded main menus derived from computer technology provide improved orientation. Visual control aids which include, for example, an image of the controller displayed on the monitor, provide additional clarity. Town or street names are spelled and telephone numbers entered by means of a circular "speller". The functional range of the tried and tested preference keys situated below the radio control unit have been further optimised. Using these, it is now also possible to store not only radio stations, telephone numbers and destinations, but also all further menu items accessible via iDrive, which can then be retrieved at the push of a button.

Crummy screen shots:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 05:09 PM   #11
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCBH View Post
Agreed. The V8 specifically is a fantastic drive. Absolutely thrilling for a vehicle this size. Wow.

+1. It is such a blast to drive. Can't imagine what it will be like once Dinan comes out with their flash for it.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 05:11 PM   #12
shenard
Captain
Rep
Drives: '09 X6 50i AW

Garage List
2009 BMW X6 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
I like the current version of the iDrive, but I am looking forward to the new iDrive menu structure and features. I've seen some kind of demonstration video of the new iDrive and I was quite impressed (compared to the current version). Unfortunately, I do not remember where I've seen the demo ...
You will probably have the current version iDrive in your 2009 X6 because the new version is apparantly not starting production in the X6 until Mar-09 production and later.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 05:22 PM   #13
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenard View Post
You will probably have the current version iDrive in your 2009 X6 because the new version is apparantly not starting production in the X6 until Mar-09 production and later.
Yeah I know... but then again, so far it's all based on rumors. I guess time will tell
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 07:21 PM   #14
JAESULx6
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

I ordered my x6 50i on middle of july, and delivery day will be this Friday!!!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2008, 07:33 PM   #15
Elevated
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06

I'm just trying order one now....No need to sell me on the 50i's great features. Just don't want to wait until Thanksgiving to get my car.

When you place an order, do you get a production week at that time?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2008, 10:29 AM   #16
AmexBlackG5
United_States
Rep
Drives: To many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elevated View Post
Hello all,

Not yet but I've been thinking about picking one up sometime later on this year.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 03:08 PM   #17
billysims
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAESULx6 View Post
I ordered my x6 50i on middle of july, and delivery day will be this Friday!!!

I'm in NJ also, ordered mine 6/28 and it won't be here until late Sept. How did that happen????
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 03:15 PM   #18
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysims View Post
I'm in NJ also, ordered mine 6/28 and it won't be here until late Sept. How did that happen????
It has to do with the production slots your dealer has allocated to them, i.e week 29 vs week 34. I ordered mine June 16 and picked it up last week 8-17 and that was 3 weeks earlier than first quoted. I found out my dealer had my order moved to a month earlier production slot , don't know if some canceled.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 03:26 PM   #19
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
It has to do with the production slots your dealer has allocated to them, i.e week 29 vs week 34. I ordered mine June 16 and picked it up last week 8-17 and that was 3 weeks earlier than first quoted. I found out my dealer had my order moved to a month earlier production slot , don't know if some canceled.
A bunch of folks make rash decisions and order a car they don't want or can't afford and end up cancelling. Since most BMW's can be ordered with nothing down this goes on a lot.

I never really thought anyone custom ordered a BMW anyway. The cars are destine to the dealer regardless when detsined to the USA, the question is how it is equipped.

Unlike a Ferrari which is built to order, BMWs are built and the customers has a say on the options, but it is being built regardless. I think this is why BMW does not require deposits or small ones for the most part.

Last edited by chuck92103; 08-21-2008 at 03:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 03:28 PM   #20
billysims
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

Quote:
Is the possibility of moving it up something I should follow up on with my dealer? Or does it happen automatically? I guess they want to get paid asap also, so they probably have interest in delivering it as soon as they can also.

I'm a little leeery of bothering them, but want my new car today!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2008, 10:02 PM   #21
JAESULx6
Rep
Drives: X6 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by billysims View Post
I got my X6 in Long island (NY). Before i order, i called about 20 BMW dealer
and i found a dealer with little discount , fast delivery.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2008, 06:45 PM   #22
drrosnrosn
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: Ordered BMW X6 35i

Production wait...

Ordered a 2009 X6 35i in July - 21st actually. My dealer has still not had any information from BMW on slotted production date. Apparently requested production in September, which is obviously not going to happen. I joked that I don't mind as long as I get it before the first snowfall, but I have some doubts as to whether that will happen.

In terms of the new iDrive it definitely looks like a nice upgrade to the current model - hard drive, improved interface, etc. I have also seen the rumor of a 3/09 inclusion, but I think it will be some time before that happens. In the past, BMW has included new versions of iDrive with model updates (and mid-cycle updates) so I don't think 3/09 is realistic. If anyone gets firm info though, I may put off my order until later.

Happy waiting guys, it's killing me.
Appreciate 0