XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-08-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
larryv
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP 11X5 M Sport 20 I3

ADV 1 Wheel questions.

I am looking on purchasing a set of the ADV10 Deep concave in 22in. For you that own or have owned this brand of wheel how was the quality. These wheels are pretty pricey and i want to make the right decision. Thank you.
Attached Images

Last edited by larryv; 08-08-2013 at 08:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 08:59 PM   #2
JVX6M
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryv
I am looking on purchasing a set of the ADV10 Deep concave in 22in. For you that own or have owned this brand of wheel how was the quality. These wheels are pretty pricey and i want to make the right decision. Thank you.
Hmmmmm well the things I could say about my not even 1 year old ADV.1's.... PM me.

Jason
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Uh oh. A thread about ADV.1. Subscribed and have the popcorn ready!
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
windtendo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 M5C

Garage List
2023 BMW M5C  [0.00]
1989 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JX5M View Post
Hmmmmm well the things I could say about my not even 1 year old ADV.1's.... PM me.

Jason
Please share in this thread, I've been considering a set myself.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
JVX6M
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Ok, this could be quite lengthy and not sure I have the patience to re hash it all... My experience was F'd up from the get go. Let me start by saying for me I had never gone this over the top on a set of custom wheels so it was a BIG purchase for me! For starters after waiting out the lengthy build process of course impatiently my wheels shipped from Wheels Boutique in FL. When I received them not only did one front have a a pretty deep gouge on the edge of the lip probably from tire mounting, they were just thrown in large shipping boxes with no bubble wrap or any protection at all. So after almost just accepting the fact one had a good size ding in the edge I went to go mount them on my non M E70 at that time and the rear bore was cut for an X5M which of course is smaller hence they wouldn't go on (it was well documented reg E70 non M). So talk about extreme disappointment right away. I was pissed to say the least, my only option from them was to return them and have them further bored out and the gouge fixed so unfortunately I had to send 3 of the 4 back. After a couple weeks they were sent back to me only to find out the gouge basically had a super thin drop of black paint in that spot no actual attempt to fix at all whatsoever. With the excitement of what they looked like combined with the fact they were the biggest aftermarket wheel purchase or purchase in general I've ever made and the utter disappointment in the service & understanding on their end to rectify and make the situation right it was sickening to say the least. It hasn't even been 1 year and I started to have some spots bubble and also spots on the back side of the 3 piece face where I would notice when using a washing mit I could flick pieces of the powder coating off and started to really panic. Unbelievable! After trying to communicate with ADV and them needing pictures of the flaking to even attempt to help me I decided to take them to a custom wheel powder coating shop that I had done business with previously (and trust). The owner couldn't believe how thin of a powder coat was actually used on this type of overpriced high end custom wheels. So after going through Jordan and the boys over at ADV again with my new issues this time, they gave me the option to send them back and have them stripped and redone or I could choose to have my guy do the work and they paid like 3/4 of it to be done which is ultimately what I chose but now my warranty is null and void with ADV.1. I absolutely love the look of the product but its beyond comprehension how people get away with running business this way and all that time I spent being upset and sick over the way this was ultimately handled when I should have been able to just enjoy my X5 at that time.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2013, 11:24 PM   #6
northern2020
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 M / '01 B5 S4/ 15 328d

oh shat...don't get me started on my experience..although they did end up giving me $1k back...time delay issues, paint and finish issues...

Currently mine have only 2000 kms on them..no issues with finish yet..and never seen rain..hopefully as the years go they hold.

JXM which model did you get?

OP - I think those ADV's you selected will not look "beefy" enough...just look at BobMG's X6m - after a few mos. he sold and went to a Vorsteiner mesh style.
      08-09-2013, 06:34 AM   #7
JVX6M
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern2020
oh shat...don't get me started on my experience..although they did end up giving me $1k back...time delay issues, paint and finish issues...

Currently mine have only 2000 kms on them..no issues with finish yet..and never seen rain..hopefully as the years go they hold.

JXM which model did you get?

OP - I think those ADV's you selected will not look "beefy" enough...just look at BobMG's X6m - after a few mos. he sold and went to a Vorsteiner mesh style.
Damn Northern2020 either all that happened after I emailed you last year before buying mine or you never told me about all your ADV issues.
I bought the same as you the 7's but offsets may be a little different as I didn't need spacers. Also mine are no longer 2 tone matte face and gloss barrel/lip anymore because the wheel shop didn't want to have to remove all the torque screws and take them apart to powder coat separate pieces so I did all satin black which turned out nice and the coating was put on heavy so I will have no issues. How and the heck do you keep them out of rain Northern? You must work from home and not leave the house if its cloudy
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 06:39 AM   #8
JVX6M
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryv
I actually like the 10's and wish that's what I would have went with. My 7's are a bitch to clean and it sucks! There's some good pics of a SG X5M like Northern2020's on eBay with the 10's if you search ADV.1 wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 06:49 AM   #9
JVX6M
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

ADV7's & crappy iPhone pic
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 07:40 AM   #10
Rob NY
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

Does anyone have a good experience with any of these high-end wheel companies.

Please share it with us...

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 08:50 AM   #11
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob NY View Post
Does anyone have a good experience with any of these high-end wheel companies.

Please share it with us...

Thanks.
You need to look at a reputable company such as BBS, HRE or OZ. Not ADV.1. There are plenty of threads on here about bad experiences members have had.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=717258

They also posted fake TUV certifications...

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=596608&page=2
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #12
larryv
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thank guys, i have read many complaints on the service and quality from different forums and a few here have confirmed them. ADV1 has some pretty nice looking wheels but if i am going to spend 10k i better think twice. I am going to look into some other wheel companies.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 06:16 PM   #13
larryv
First Lieutenant
Rep

This was the look i was looking for.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 06:20 PM   #14
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryv View Post
Thank guys, i have read many complaints on the service and quality from different forums and a few here have confirmed them. ADV1 has some pretty nice looking wheels but if i am going to spend 10k i better think twice. I am going to look into some other wheel companies.
Their designs are far from unique. There are plenty of other companies that make these styles of wheels.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2013, 10:09 PM   #15
northern2020
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Damn Northern2020 either all that happened after I emailed you last year before buying mine or you never told me about all your ADV issues.
I bought the same as you the 7's but offsets may be a little different as I didn't need spacers. Also mine are no longer 2 tone matte face and gloss barrel/lip anymore because the wheel shop didn't want to have to remove all the torque screws and take them apart to powder coat separate pieces so I did all satin black which turned out nice and the coating was put on heavy so I will have no issues. How and the heck do you keep them out of rain Northern? You must work from home and not leave the house if its cloudy
Sorry bro - did i reply to the pm/email?

Lol - My X5M is my garage queen hence no rain...daily is the B8 and B5 Audi S4

I didn't want to throw them under the bus because ultimately they took care of the issue and even refunded $1k...although it was just cosmetic issue - I'm still shaking in my boots if I hit a pothole, I've "heard" stories of rims cracking, breaking under these circumstances.

I was also disappointed to find them to be tucked in after fitment...I need 20mm spacers to make them flush with the fender flares. I think they may have used the X6M's offset.

Mine were painted...are you sure yours were powder coated?

Do you have any ass shots of your ADV's so I can see how flush they are? Im still pissed to have to drive around with spacers.

Last edited by northern2020; 08-09-2013 at 10:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 11:29 PM   #16
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern2020 View Post

I didn't want to throw them under the bus because ultimately they took care of the issue and even refunded $1k...although it was just cosmetic issue - I'm still shaking in my boots if I hit a pothole, I've "heard" stories of rims cracking, breaking under these circumstances.

I was also disappointed to find them to be tucked in after fitment...I need 20mm spacers to make them flush with the fender flares. I think they may have used the X6M's offset.

Do you have any ass shots of your ADV's so I can see how flush they are? Im still pissed to have to drive around with spacers.
Directly from ADV.1: "Our wheels never are made to use or require spacers"
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 11:32 PM   #17
northern2020
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et
Quote:

Directly from ADV.1: "Our wheels never are made to use or require spacers"
Can you link that quote to a source?
      08-12-2013, 08:25 AM   #18
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Can you link that quote to a source?
http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=566514

Post #10
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 09:07 AM   #19
smyles
Major
Rep
Drives: '21 X5

I believe there's good selection of lightweight forged, well designed, quality wheels in $3.5...5K range; no need to spend more... and certainly not on adv.1
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 11:29 AM   #20
JVX6M
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern2020
Quote:

Northern2020, I will have to take a couple ass shots for you they look pretty darn close to that Monaco Blue one in that thread with the spacers installed. I was told they were powder coated and not painted but again who knows what the truth is with these guys! I was also told after I traded my E70 for the M that the wheels would require rear spacers due to the offset difference they claimed but I'm pretty sure they forgot the fact that they originally cut and bored them for an M and not regular E70 so I don't think they even have a clue and I just got lucky to not need spacers. Sucks to drop that kind of coin and it be a F***ING circus show!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 03:43 PM   #21
Omar@VelosDesignwerks
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Different Ones

We have sold a few sets to some of the members here on this forum already. Look for anyone who may be interested in a set at a discounted price of course in exchange for their honest feedback of the process as well as a few photos after. Here are a few pics of X5M's we have built with our wheels. Any members feel free to chime in.

Images below are to give you an idea of fitment, etc. Check out our site for more options.
  • 6061-T6 Forged Aluminum
  • Backpad Lightening (Pocketing) Standard to reduce unsprung mass & overall wheel weight.
  • Hubcentric Fitment
  • CNC Machined to specific fitments designed for your application
  • Powder Coat Finishes and Brushed Finishes Standard
  • OEM TPMS Compatible
  • Concave Profile
  • Available in 21" - 22" (for SUV)

Appreciate 0
      08-12-2013, 04:28 PM   #22
JVX6M
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep

Damn you Omar where were you when I needed you last year?
Appreciate 0