XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

12-12-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
rockmed
Private
Rep
Drives: none

No Start

I have the Comfort Access and noticed that if the car is not used for about 1 week when I come to start it using the Start button the engine won't turn on immediately. Only the electronics and AC turn on. I have to hit the Start button several times before the engine starts. Any idea?
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 04:03 PM   #2
bak
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X6

I have noticed this once or twice. No relation to the 1 week of not using the car. My car is only two weeks old and I thought I was just not pushing the button down hard enough. The VW keyless entry on my previous vehicle had a feature that if you pushed the button half way, it would turn accessories on but car would not start. The one or two times my car did this I just pushed it again and it started. Please advise if you find any more.
Best,
Brian
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2008, 05:06 PM   #3
Suzie's Dad
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: ML550/AMG

There is an interlock that stops the car from starting if you don't have your foot on the brake. You could test that if you have some way to see if your brake lights are on while you are pressing the starter. Could be the brake light switch. Just an idea.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 12:53 AM   #4
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

No start

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmed View Post
I have the Comfort Access and noticed that if the car is not used for about 1 week when I come to start it using the Start button the engine won't turn on immediately. Only the electronics and AC turn on. I have to hit the Start button several times before the engine starts. Any idea?
Is it still related to the upgrade that u mentioned in another thread, that the dealer did for u?
Do u have the repair code of the upgrade from ur work order? Thanx.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 04:24 AM   #5
rockmed
Private
Rep

Interesting suggestion regarding the brake light. I'll have to check next time.

Not too sure if this is related to the recall I had which was 6199000 (I think this number is unique to the dealer and not a BMW number) Re-call Campaign Program Control Unit Power Drop.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 12:15 PM   #6
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Three things come to mind.

1. The push button is faulty.

2. The brake switch is faulty and the car does not think the brake is depressed.

3. The Shifter is faulty and the car does not believe it is in park.

Does it make a difference if the fob is inserted in the slot or not?
      12-13-2008, 02:58 PM   #7
rockmed
Private
Rep

Inserting the key doesn't make a difference. In my case, it doesn't happen when I drive everyday; only when left parked for about a week. This leads me to think it may be battery related.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2008, 03:18 PM   #8
Puka
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X6

In my opinion, the first series that is launched has always any mistakes...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2008, 09:50 PM   #9
archwerks
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: x6 3.5i VR

No start

Quote:
Inserting the key doesn't make a difference. In my case, it doesn't happen when I drive everyday; only when left parked for about a week. This leads me to think it may be battery related.
Rockmed;
Does your digital clock need resetting when u have the start problem? or the read out has no problem?
I thought your dealer fixed some power drop problem for u.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 10:52 AM   #10
JOHNBMWM5
Live for today tomorrow never comes
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 LCI Marina Bay Blue/ Smok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzie's Dad View Post
There is an interlock that stops the car from starting if you don't have your foot on the brake. You could test that if you have some way to see if your brake lights are on while you are pressing the starter. Could be the brake light switch. Just an idea.
Very good piont, I have had no such problems with mine however.
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2008, 01:04 PM   #11
rockmed
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by archwerks View Post
Rockmed;
Does your digital clock need resetting when u have the start problem? or the read out has no problem?
I thought your dealer fixed some power drop problem for u.
Clock is fine - no need to reset. Not sure what the power drop that the dealer fixed was for. Might not be related. I don't think the issue is worth taking it into the dealer. I usually have bad experiences when sending cars for service. Most of the times they come back with the small door dents. I only send the car to service if it is for something major or a scheduled maintenance.
Appreciate 0