XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

12-05-2008, 09:43 PM   #1
jtaristi
Rep
Drives: X6

3.5i exhaust pipes

I have noticed that from one of the exhaust pipes there is hardly no smoke coming out and it does not get hot. The other one gets normal amount of smoke out and gets warm (drivers side).
Is this normal?. Is one of them fake, or only works under certain conditions?
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2008, 07:54 AM   #2
Deda
Major General
Croatia
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 comp

it is not fake,that is for sure!
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 07:59 AM   #3
Anteater
An Englishman in Chicago......
United_States
Rep
Drives: VR X6 35i

The reason is that there is a vacuum flap on the right-hand tail pipe which is electronically closed below 2500 RPM to better control exhaust gas flow and noise. This forces all the exhaust gas through the left-hand tail pipe until the revs rise and the valve opens. A pretty common BMW feature.

Cheers, Anteater
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 12:37 PM   #4
jtaristi
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteater View Post
The reason is that there is a vacuum flap on the right-hand tail pipe which is electronically closed below 2500 RPM to better control exhaust gas flow and noise. This forces all the exhaust gas through the left-hand tail pipe until the revs rise and the valve opens. A pretty common BMW feature.

Cheers, Anteater
Thank you very much. Makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 03:24 PM   #5
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:

Cheers, Anteater
I don't think that either the 30d, 35d or 35i have this feature. Now the 50i on the other hand does, however it has this feature on both the driver and passenger side for the second exhaust pipe (each side has two exhaust pipes that lead into the exhaust tip finisher). See below:

30d, 35d and 35i exhaust system:

Attachment 174192

50i exhaust system:

Attachment 174193
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 05:12 PM   #6
Anteater
An Englishman in Chicago......
United_States
Rep
Drives: VR X6 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive50i View Post
I don't think that either the 30d, 35d or 35i have this feature. Now the 50i on the other hand does, however it has this feature on both the driver and passenger side for the second exhaust pipe (each side has two exhaust pipes that lead into the exhaust tip finisher). See below:

30d, 35d and 35i exhaust system:

Attachment 174192

50i exhaust system:

Attachment 174193
Actually, that is the rear exhaust system just for the diesel - the 35i does have the vacuum flap - and is a different system to that which your links shows - see picture attached. The item #10 shown relates to the exhaust flap.

Cheers, Anteater
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
CyberDude
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS

Maybe someone at the factory forget to remove the paperwork from inside the exhaust pipe. Just kidding! LOL

http://www.bmwusfactory.com/uploaded...anu17_high.jpg

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 12:04 PM   #8
xDrive50i
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: '09 750i individual

Quote:
Actually, that is the rear exhaust system just for the diesel - the 35i does have the vacuum flap - and is a different system to that which your links shows - see picture attached. The item #10 shown relates to the exhaust flap.

Cheers, Anteater
I stand corrected. Thanks Anteater.

I think I must have clicked on 35d (twice in a row) instead of 35i when I was comparing the different exhaust systems.

So to sum this up:

30d - No Exhaust Flap on either Driver or Passenger side
35d - No Exhaust Flap on either Driver or Passenger side
35i - Passenger side DOES have an Exhaust Flap, Driver side does NOT
50i - Passenger side AND Driver side have Exhaust Flaps on the inner most pipes the outer ones do NOT (50i has two exhaust pipes her exhaust tip finisher/tail pipe)

Again, thanks Anteater for pointing this out!
2009 750i individual | Citrin Black Metallic | Platinum Merino Extended Leather | BMW Individual Composition Package (includes Sport Package) | Dynamic Handling Package | Multimedia Package | Technology Package | Executive Package
http://www.7post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234432
Appreciate 0