XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > X6 Engine / Exhaust / Drivetrain Modification

03-19-2014, 05:28 PM   #1
bigred1100s
Private
Rep
Drives: x6m

Advise on Carbon Fiber Hood

I am looking to do a few upgrades on my 2010 X6M and one i am very interested in is the carbon fiber hood. I would like for does who have had them installed to give some reviews. Very interested in the amount of weight they save vs the OEM's and what it takes to fit one. Apparently the OEM hinges do not work with them and neither do the lock mechanism. is this true?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 06:21 PM   #2
Rob NY
Captain
Rep
Drives: M5

I have a carbon fiber installed on my car and I used everything from the OEM hood (hinges locks etc). The hood I have is seibon carbon fiber TH style. About saving weight not a huge diffrence since the OEM hood is very light.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 06:54 PM   #3
SouthShoreM3
Passes everything but the gas station
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 M3

The most important thing is does it actually fit. Alot of these hoods look good, but for 2500+ dollars they don't fit like they cost. That becomes an issue and danger is unstable air is getting under the hood in areas where it shouldn't be.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 06:59 PM   #4
Rob NY
Captain
Rep

I had no issues yet n it fits almost like OEM hood.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 06:51 AM   #5
bigred1100s
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3 View Post
The most important thing is does it actually fit. Alot of these hoods look good, but for 2500+ dollars they don't fit like they cost. That becomes an issue and danger is unstable air is getting under the hood in areas where it shouldn't be.
Ha, interesting point. I have no speed limits here and I intend to drive all the power out of this car. Perhaps the hood is not a path i wanna take then. I honestly thought I would be saving over 25lbs + up top. If fit is a question, I'll just have to sit this out especially if NY Rob is saying the weight saving is not much.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 09:22 AM   #6
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

I think it was ROB NY mentioning about doing a CF roof and taking all the glass and mechanical hardware out. Now that would be where you want to save weight.

Personally what I did so far was get forged monoblock 20s. Nothin bigger. Get rid of the RFT. Then do the brembo BBK.

So far I think I have dropped over 50lbs of unsprung weight. The X5M feels so much lighter on its feet and the steering is very precise.

Those are my recommendations to start saving weight. Those two items alone around 10-13k depending on what wheels you go with.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #7
Rob NY
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I think it was ROB NY mentioning about doing a CF roof and taking all the glass and mechanical hardware out. Now that would be where you want to save weight.

Personally what I did so far was get forged monoblock 20s. Nothin bigger. Get rid of the RFT. Then do the brembo BBK.

So far I think I have dropped over 50lbs of unsprung weight. The X5M feels so much lighter on its feet and the steering is very precise.

Those are my recommendations to start saving weight. Those two items alone around 10-13k depending on what wheels you go with.

Still working on the carbon roof, I'm also looking on putting BMW performance seats or carbon seats which would save alot weight.

I did the same thing got rid of the run flats and got 20" forged wheels feels much better.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 10:12 AM   #8
Rob NY
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigred1100s View Post
Ha, interesting point. I have no speed limits here and I intend to drive all the power out of this car. Perhaps the hood is not a path i wanna take then. I honestly thought I would be saving over 25lbs + up top. If fit is a question, I'll just have to sit this out especially if NY Rob is saying the weight saving is not much.
BTW, I took the car over 160mph and the hood was fine so Im not sure what speeds are you talking about.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 10:29 AM   #9
bigred1100s
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob NY View Post
BTW, I took the car over 160mph and the hood was fine so Im not sure what speeds are you talking about.
My statement actually came out wrong, what i would like is exactly what you guys a looking for although I don't think i wld compromise on the inner luxury. funny enough i never thought about those runflats: good thinking. i am going 21 on my wheels though but definitely forged. I'll wait till i get a buyer for the c63 before i shell out those big bills. do you guys think the oem diff can take the new increased load from Active Autowerke software and catless DP's?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 12:28 PM   #10
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

Yes this diff and car has no issues with power. I think we all drive this SUV hard because that is what it was built for. I would read my post in injectors if you have not done that already. Huge difference in performance.

I love the interior. The seats are exceptional And the did bolster support is amazing. I am not a big guy so these seats squeeze me well.

ROB NY how was the quality of the SEIBON hood? Curious to see pics of it. Are there any functional vents or is it the OEM look with the power bulge?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 01:09 PM   #11
Rob NY
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Yes this diff and car has no issues with power. I think we all drive this SUV hard because that is what it was built for. I would read my post in injectors if you have not done that already. Huge difference in performance.

I love the interior. The seats are exceptional And the did bolster support is amazing. I am not a big guy so these seats squeeze me well.

ROB NY how was the quality of the SEIBON hood? Curious to see pics of it. Are there any functional vents or is it the OEM look with the power bulge?
The quality of the hood is good fits alright its not 100% but its better then I thought. It does have vents and a lot of heat escapes out from there as you know these engines get really hot.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 01:28 PM   #12
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

Lets see some damn pics!! I got a little teaser...sorry it's a thread jack!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 02:29 PM   #13
JVX6M
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthShoreM3
Pretty sure I have pre jackulatory wetness in my pants.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 04:39 PM   #14
bimmerschmitt
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6M

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
2015 BMW X6M  [10.00]
Carbon Fiber Hood Advice and For Sale

I currently have a Hamann "Tycoon" Carbon Fiber Hood on my X5 and I love it.
I bought it for the X5M and it took less than 20 minutes for the dealer to swap it in for the OEM hood. If I wasn't ordering a 2014 BMW X5, I would keep this hood forever. Unfortunately it won't fit on the new model so I am selling it. Just posted pictures of it in the classifieds for X5's and X6's. Not only is it lighter, but it totally changes the aggressive look of the car.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 04:44 PM   #15
bimmerschmitt
Rep
Drives: 2015 X6M

Garage List
2018 BMW M5  [0.00]
2015 BMW X6M  [10.00]
Pic of the car with carbon hood

Tycoon Bonnet for X5 and X6. Straight from Germany
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #16
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

The hamann hood is certainly amazing looking. However it's also 13k dollars. That is crazy town. I have a supercharger for my M3 that gives me tons of power and added performance for less. Nothing personal about you. I just can't justify companies like Hamann and their prices and how they even stay in business since it completely eliminates 99% of the people who are into modding.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 05:36 PM   #17
bigred1100s
Private
Rep

Quote:
jeez! thats just crazy! what colour is that?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 05:48 PM   #18
bigred1100s
Private
Rep

Quote:

Not too fast SounthShoreM3, please do tell about the injectors. Ok I guess a bit about my car: Got a 2010 X6M with 7k miles. Clean and collision and flood free with the Cinnamon interior and the console seat in the rear and soft close doors. already had my fuel pump replaced something about it being defective and all is now well. Drive is amazing and I finally don't have that dead steering feed back like i did in my c63 however its not as precise as my 2008 M6. power at takeoff is great but i feel no excitement 80mph and so i ordered the AA software and catless DP's.

Please do tell me more about the injectors, is there a campaign on them?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 05:49 PM   #19
bigred1100s
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerschmitt View Post
I currently have a Hamann "Tycoon" Carbon Fiber Hood on my X5 and I love it.
I bought it for the X5M and it took less than 20 minutes for the dealer to swap it in for the OEM hood. If I wasn't ordering a 2014 BMW X5, I would keep this hood forever. Unfortunately it won't fit on the new model so I am selling it. Just posted pictures of it in the classifieds for X5's and X6's. Not only is it lighter, but it totally changes the aggressive look of the car.
how much and show me the link, will it fit my 2010 X6M. do you know how much weight is saved? and is there anything else you are selling that might fit my car?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 05:59 PM   #20
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

For those curious about the color it's an individual for the M6/M5 platform. Called Indianapolis red. The brembo lettering is space grey o math the rest of the space grey contrast on the car.

Unfortunately paint still isn't dry so will be waiting until next week to install

I could not be happier with the color. Amazing on the sample I got from the dealer and was without a doubt the perfect color "red" in my opinion.

Will look very good behind these!!' Just want them on already. This has been in the making for almost 6 months for the wheels and brakes!! Long journey but well worth it!

The injectors there is a bulletin I believe. My dealer was just extra good to me and regardless every single coil pack had some sort of negative wear so they replaced it all.

With a VELOS tune and I only have the Dinan exhaust. But I kid you not it is a different car and a lot quicker, totally improved throttle response. I don't even have to use M mode to make it perform. Although its always in m M mode once warmed up
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 06:16 PM   #21
bigred1100s
Private
Rep

talking about the injectors, is this something that would be detected with the diagnostic tool and how much do they cost?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 07:23 PM   #22
SouthShoreM3
United_States
Rep

You can remove them and see what they are doing. Car may or may not throw a code. Mine had check engine light on, but no actual codes or emissions issues.
Appreciate 0