XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Closed Thread

11-27-2014, 08:09 PM   #1
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Lightbulb BMW Head Up Screen retrofit (accessory) (BMW part # 62 30 2 361 627)

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
A BMW Group press release of Nov 24, 2014 mentions the release of a "BMW Head-Up Screen" as accessory:
https://www.press.bmwgroup.com/globa...tem=node__4308

Thoughts and experiences ?
-------------------------
"Innovative BMW Head-Up Screen makes driving safer.
Driving a car without the BMW Head-Up Display doesn’t mean missing out on the additional safety it provides. Indeed, the innovative new Head-Up Screen from the Original BMW Accessories range likewise allows navigation instructions and the latest vehicle information to be displayed in the driver’s field of view. The Head-Up Screen can be used in almost all BMW vehicles, workshop installation is quick and the cable used to connect it with the vehicle electronics is barely visible. It can also be retrofitted at any time. All the information can be viewed on the transparent display and is positioned directly in the driver’s line of sight. The information on the Head-Up Screen is very easy to read, even in direct sunlight, which means drivers no longer have to take their eyes off the traffic and can concentrate without interruption on events on the road. The result is an improvement in both safety and comfort at the wheel. The Head-Up Screen shows a range of vehicle information, such as the fuel gauge and – when the temperature drops – a warning of black ice. Other functions include an output display, torque display, cruise control display, the current speed limit, a traffic jam warning and the altitude above sea level. Complementing the Head-Up Screen is the BMW Head-Up Screen app for Android and iOS, which can be used to adjust all the Head-Up Screen’s settings, such as the display brightness and selection of information to be shown. The BMW Head-Up Screen receives its navigation data via Wi-Fi using an app on the driver’s smartphone developed by Garmin and BMW (available for Android and iOS). Owners can download a free update for the navigation app once a year. Both apps are free."

-------------------------
Name:  HeadUpDisplay.jpg
Views: 377578
Size:  95.0 KB

Thanks for the 'heads up' (no pun intended) about the HUD (actually "HUS" ), eeghie

I consider biting the bullet and getting it for my 1M.

Technical information about the "Head-Up Screen" (according to BMW):
"Transparent OLED Display
Screen dimensions: 125 mm x 42 mm
Luminance: About 800 cd/m² (max 1,100 cd/m²).
Transparency: Around 55% (65% max.). For comparison, a dot-matrix display has a max. luminance of only 500 cd/m² and a transparency of 40%.
Operating temperature: -40°C ~ +95°C
Humidity: 90%"
BMW commercial (2017):

Cross-referencing to other threads about this device:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1084177
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1067637
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1111197

Installation instructions: here (2014) and BMW_HUS_Instructions.pdf (2015) (PDF - 29 pages - 1.1MB). This document reports that it suits the following models:
  • BMW 1 Series (E81, E82, E87, E88, F20, F21)
  • BMW 2 Series (F22, F23, F45, F46)
  • BMW 3 Series (E90, E91, E92, E93, F30, F31, F34, F35)
  • BMW 4 Series (F32, F33, F36)
  • BMW 5 Series (F10, F11)
  • BMW X1 (E84)
  • BMW X3 (F25)
  • BMW X4 (F26)
Three pictures from http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1084177
Name:  HeadUpScreen_Box.jpg
Views: 311647
Size:  67.0 KB

Apps:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...creenapp&hl=en (Android)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/head...962015498?mt=8 (iOS)

Name:  HUS1.jpg
Views: 276654
Size:  22.3 KBName:  HUS2.jpg
Views: 275861
Size:  8.3 KBName:  HUS3.jpg
Views: 285148
Size:  15.1 KB
Name:  HUS4.jpg
Views: 283504
Size:  16.1 KBName:  HUS5.jpg
Views: 274329
Size:  13.0 KB

Now also appearing on Real.OEM:
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...21#62302361627

Name:  HUD_Picture.jpg
Views: 282417
Size:  59.2 KB
Name:  BMW_HUD_Screen.jpg
Views: 277362
Size:  59.2 KB

EDIT (Spring 2015): up and running inside my 1M.
1M = 250kW and 450+50Nm overboost ? It got more oomph than that, reports the CANBUS to the head-up screen.

Name:  BMW_HeadUpScreen_1M_07.jpg
Views: 275546
Size:  156.6 KB
Name:  BMW_HeadUpScreen_1M_01.jpg
Views: 288692
Size:  108.5 KB
Name:  BMW_HeadUpScreen_1M_02.jpg
Views: 293311
Size:  111.9 KB
Name:  BMW_HeadUpScreen_1M_03.jpg
Views: 276379
Size:  71.1 KB
Name:  BMW_HeadUpScreen_1M_04.jpg
Views: 276412
Size:  104.2 KB
Name:  BMW_HeadUpScreen_1M_05.jpg
Views: 285569
Size:  91.7 KB
Name:  BMW_HeadUpScreen_1M_06.jpg
Views: 278814
Size:  121.9 KB
Name:  BMW_HeadUpScreen_1M_08.jpg
Views: 320177
Size:  56.2 KB
Name:  BMW_HeadUpScreen_1M_08b.jpg
Views: 298318
Size:  42.5 KB

As requested by several forum fellows, some front angle shots:

Can you spot it ?
Name:  Grocery_Store.jpg
Views: 271818
Size:  141.6 KB

EDIT (Spring 2015): update with first impressions and experiences:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
That looks way better in the pictures than the promo stuff. Excellent transparency and good DD info, Love the green 'CC engaged' indicator.
512Nm is "decent" pulling power. Does that maximum torque value vary or yitter much? Was that maxed out and can you see the overboost dropping out after 10s? (probably reached very high speeds by then).
  • looks indeed pretty neat in real life; compact and practical;
  • safety: checking the data shown on the dashboard becomes less frequent/necessary;
  • clear visibility day and night, also comfortable to read when wearing sun glasses (with sun glasses, once the screen is 'showing its colors', the data looks more 'floaty');
  • cruise control speed is permanently visible, as long as cruise control is active (push the clutch or brake and it disappears, resume cruise control and it re-appears);
  • brightness can be adjusted (you can also opt for the automatic brightness setting, adapting the brightness to the light intensity); should you prefer a full black background instead of the transparent one, then you can fit a kind of 'jacket' on the back part of the screen (it's supplied with the device, but I don't plan to use it) or you can fit it when folded down the screen to horizontal position;
  • you can also adjust the indicated speed, for example if you prefer to permanently show the real speed (on my car: indicated car speed -4% = GPS speed); furthermore, as the Garmin app warns for speed cameras, an icon pops up on the screen upon approach; I also already saw the low fuel and black ice warning icons correctly popping up;
  • you can also toggle between expected time of arrival and remaining time (time due for arrival) (though, through the Garmin app, not through the BMW Head-Up Screen app settings);
  • if you're bored by the view, you can fold down the screen to full horizontal position;
  • when driving at night, the car in front of you undoubtedly notices that 'something' is going on above your dashboard - looks peculiar;
  • speed and height above sea level values change on the fly; torque (Nm) and power (kW) values change slower, as these stay indicated briefly (a few moments) before showing an updated figure; as previously commented, I have already spotted 551 Nm and 266 kW (362 hp [metric]) values, despite my car's engine being stock (normally 450+50Nm and 250 kW (340 hp [metric])); hence, as torque and power figures don't change on the fly, it's rather difficult to spot on the screen when overboost precisely kicks in (except for assuming that overboost must have kicked in when high values are shown).
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
I'm a little confused - would this work on a stripper car (I.e. No Nav) or is this more of an auxiliary display?
  • It's an auxiliary device, independent from the SATNAV (not collecting data via the SATNAV). If your car features SATNAV, you can 'shop' for navigation data between both devices - as if you got two co-pilots reading their own maps.
Quote:
All the car operation data that is needed to drive this display is available on the Canbus of pretty much any BMW, stripper or NAV, certainly all E82. For the E8x - E9x platform, I'm convinced there is no difference in the information going round on the CanBus regardless of a NAV is present or not. (apart from the IDrive interface/knob instructions, not present in a stripper)
The NAV and speed limit part of the display however is fueled by a phone app (not the BMW NAV itself). So actually for a stripper you'd have somewhat higher value for money adding this display.
For a 1-series stripper, the green 'Cruise Control engaged' icon so far could not be emulated by any OEM solution, I'd expect for NAV cars that this is available somehow somewhere on the IDrive menu.
  • car data shown on the left hand side (including indicated speed) is made available by the car (immediately active as soon as you push the start button);
  • navigation info shown on the right hand side is made available through WIFI/WLAN of your smartphone by an app (free download of the BMW Head-Up Screen app + Garmin HUD app + Garmin country maps); it might operate a bit sluggish on older generation smartphones; as far as I know no data is collected from the SATNAV; hence I assume that SATNAV is not required.
Quote:
Any chance of pictures of the install from the side (say from passenger side mirror direction)?
Can you pls also share any impressions of the HID/HIS while driving? THX
  • it works smooth and serves its purpose: getting info/data whilst keeping your eyes focused on the road; it facilitates to optimize observing speed limits;
  • driver's size and seat position is irrelevant, as you can incline the screen to your liking (forwards/backwards - not sideways);
  • the left hand part of the screen is always active, regardless whether your smartphone is on board;
  • operation procedure: if WIFI/WLAN is switched off, you need to switch it on to allow your car to connect automatically to the "Head-Up Screen" network; then start the two apps on your smartphone: the BMW Head-Up Screen app + the Garmin app (as you likely plan to often use this device, for your convenience, put the apps together on a separate page of your smartphone); the BMW Head-Up Screen app also includes the optional setting to automatically start the Garmin app; program your destination and subsequently navigation info pops up on the screen as soon as the smartphone picks up a signal; whenever the smartphone loses the signal (longer tunnel) the navigation doesn't show anymore, but automatically resumes as soon as the smartphone picks up again the signal;
  • fringe benefit of a Samsung Galaxy S5 smartphone: it perfectly/steadily fits sideways in the open ashtray. Tilt it to the left so that the charger cable is connected on the right hand side (leading the charger cable invisibly between the passenger seat and center console, the smartphone preferably powered by the 12V socket under the armrest); result: the full Garmin navigation screen is visible too for you (without the need of a telephone carrier device), easy to operate changes and stays in place even if you brake hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtrain View Post
can the display change to foot lbs and horsepower?
  • no; but mph, ft and yds can be shown instead of kph, km and m.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayao View Post
Questions: how secure is the wart thing for the display, how unsightly do you find it, and is it easily removable?
  • as it's supposed to be a universal retrofit for many BMW and MINI models, the design of the base/foot of the Head-Up Screen is some kind of 'block' to be fitted onto the dashboard; inevitably, that ain't as elegant as a device that would be made specifically for a certain BMW or MINI model, perfectly adapted to the curving dashboard shape; so, yes, it's a compromise to keep the price-point relatively 'reasonable' (though it's already pricey);
  • this device is supposed to be used for its purpose, and not to win beauty contests; speaking for myself, its shape doesn't disturb me; as indicated above, it's pretty compact (125 mm x 42 mm | 4.92 inch x 1.65 inch) and looks bigger on pictures than in real life;
  • this device is visible from outside and you cannot disconnect/hide it (it's 'stuck' onto the dashboard, so forget about taking it with you); but its dark-ish color helps blending it in - to some extent - with the dashboard; so, yes, it's within 'prying eyes' vicinity, if that's what you want to know.
So, no downsides ?
Of course there are - I point out a few:
  • price: it ain't cheap, but apart from all its car functionality, you also get a navigation app (including many country maps) on your smartphone, which can also be used when you're outside your car;
  • the design of the base/foot of the Head-Up Screen, once installed on a dashboard, won't win a price for elegance; the screen itself is kinda cool though (especially when active); functionality has its price;
  • the device is visible from outside your car and cannot be disconnected/hidden; not very discreet;
  • the navigation uses WIFI/WLAN (not Bluetooth as some of you might think): as long as WIFI/WLAN is active on your smartphone and a connection made to the "Head-Up Screen" network, you'll have no longer access to Internet and won't receive incoming Internet messages (e-mails, Whatsapp, bbm, Facebook, etc.); you can still make phone calls, of course; on longer journeys, each time you take a break, just briefly switch off WIFI/WLAN on your smartphone to allow your messages to enter (well, as several may remark, it's safer anyway to read messages while not driving); on the contrary, SATNAV does not block your Internet messages;
  • if the signal is lost or you drained your smartphone, navigation stops;
  • once WIFI/WLAN has been switched off, you got to start the procedure all over again if you want navigation;
  • when driving abroad, roaming costs are inevitably involved (check your phone tariff plan); on the contrary, SATNAV uses sattelites and does not cost you anything;
  • navigation drains the battery of your smartphone; it's wise to always connect your smartphone to a charger cable (at least if the trip is longer); a snap-in adapter is useful to recharge and improve signal reception, but unfortunately your screen will be hidden under the armrest (while you will prefer to see the navigation map, for example from the ashtray area); on the contrary, SATNAV operates independently from your smartphone;
  • personal taste: I wouldn't mind normal letters instead of italics (except if mistaken, the Mini Cooper head-up display does not feature italics);
  • personal taste again: I would have preferred that hp is shown instead of kW (probably not integrated due to the difference between hp and metric hp); as the screen features no 'hp' sign, I doubt that a later BMW Head-Up Screen app will feature the possibility to toggle between kW and hp.
My conclusion:
Redundant gadget gimmickry or a useful tool that also Rick Dackard would fit inside his Spinner ?
This device serves its purpose - I can recommend it (also if your car features SATNAV) ...even to Rick Dackard.

Last edited by Artemis; 05-10-2017 at 01:00 PM.. Reason: Compiled information in the first post
Appreciate 7
      11-27-2014, 08:55 PM   #2
questionable
S50B32
Australia
Rep
Drives: E30 318is

Wonder if this works with a 1er ?
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
NickDHdfc
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i

same, i would definitely pick this up
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 11:18 PM   #4
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by questionable View Post
Wonder if this works with a 1er ?
"The Head-Up Screen can be used in almost all BMW vehicles".

Likely not inside the Isetta. Okay, seriously, we gotta find more info about this new gizmo.
      11-28-2014, 04:16 PM   #5
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Interesting. Seems pretty BMW universal. Curious about the full breath of information to display.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2014, 06:33 AM   #6
JimD
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 128i convertible

Maybe I would get used to it but I didn't really like the heads up display in the M5 and M6 when I was doing M school in 2011. It was kind of distracting to look at the gauges while you are trying to look at the road. But that was only a few hours over 2 days. You definitely can't focus on the gauges and the road at the same time. But even out of focus, I guess you could see it if anything was wrong.
      11-29-2014, 05:28 PM   #7
awt
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: Red e61 & red F26

Garmin does already have a similar item on the marked, which is completely GPS-based. This could be a rebranding of one of those, but it seems like this is connected to the car somehow, as you can get the fuel gauge and outside temp. (with warnings) up. I would really like to see some more information about this and how it works.

Garmin HUD:

The graphics seems to be better on the BMW version, but it could just be the next gen. of the same item or something.

• A small roadtrip through Scandinavia: movie - pictures
• A small roadtrip in the norwegian fjords: movie
• A small trip to Nürburgring: movie - pictures
Appreciate 1
      12-16-2014, 08:22 PM   #8
BLU135i
Senior Chief Petty Officer USN
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

So figure BMW charges what, $599 for this?
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 09:40 PM   #9
dbchun
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i

very cool!!
      12-17-2014, 10:54 AM   #10
Klepper1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M

I bet it plugs into the obd2 port.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 10:55 AM   #11
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

I've seen this in the 4 series and while it is cool, the technology is still too early and buggy for my tastes. Especially on a retrofit I would be concerned that it would be complete rubbish.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #12
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I'm waiting for the 1M specific version which projects on windshield when traction control is on then projects data to the two side windows when you turn it off!

: ).
Appreciate 3
      12-17-2014, 11:49 AM   #13
CP 1///M
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Well if it's a dealer install option, it might just connect to the CANBus directly rather than taking up the OBD-2 port. Aftermarket has been at it for almost 10 years (my previous car had the Defi VSD and its own sensors plus tapping the factory speed sensor and engine rev lines on the ECU) so I don't know what kind of bugs we would see on this
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 12:00 PM   #14
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

Go drive a 4 series with this option on it. You'll understand, its very difficult to see yet obstructive to your vision at the same time.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 12:13 PM   #15
BMWX1-35i
2015 X1 35i XDrive with NAV
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X1 35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimD View Post
Maybe I would get used to it but I didn't really like the heads up display in the M5 and M6 when I was doing M school in 2011. It was kind of distracting to look at the gauges while you are trying to look at the road. But that was only a few hours over 2 days. You definitely can't focus on the gauges and the road at the same time. But even out of focus, I guess you could see it if anything was wrong.
I have to agree, I had this one of my corvette's and it was very distracting.

2015 X1 35i XDrive
Ultimate, NAV & Cold Weather Package
MHD, FTP Motorsports Charge Pipe, Drop in K&N
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 12:44 PM   #16
BLU135i
Senior Chief Petty Officer USN
No_Country
Rep
Drives: X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnizu
Go drive a 4 series with this option on it. You'll understand, its very difficult to see yet obstructive to your vision at the same time.
I had a loner X3 with a HUD a few weeks ago and loved it. You can adjust where it sits in your vision ie up and down, and also the brightness. I found it very useful and intuitive. However I am an Avionics Tech in the Navy and have worked on HUD's in EA-18G's as well as the JHMCS so I am a bit biased. Not sure how the aftermarket one will compare, but I'm interested in finding out.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2014, 02:26 PM   #17
Alex.br
///M Power
Brazil
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2013 F10 M5, 2012 1M

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [0.00]
2012 BMW E82 1M  [10.00]
2009 BMW E60 M5  [10.00]
2012 E70 X5M  [10.00]
2013 BMW F10 M5  [10.00]
I like it for track use in M mode

2012 E82 1M Alpine White
2013 F10 M5 Brilliant White
2020 F87 M2 Competition Alpine White
2021 F97 X3M Competition Alpine White
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2015, 03:37 PM   #18
awt
Private First Class
Norway
Rep
Drives: Red e61 & red F26

The part number for this is 62302361627, and the price is around $450 (....and about the double of that in Norway ).

Unfortunately, there's still not that much information around regarding this, so I don't know which cars it can be installed in. According to my dealer, it can't be installed in an e6x 5-series, but you can never trust dealers.

Edit: According to this site, it will work in e8x 1-series (and e9x 3-series for that matter). I can't however see how that big plate thing can be mounted nicely to the rather round cluster housing the 1-series have.

It seems like the navigation data only can be transferred from Garmins navigation app, and not the iDrive system which seems a bit odd, and stupid for that matter.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 62302361627.pdf (73.5 KB, 8458 views)

• A small roadtrip through Scandinavia: movie - pictures
• A small roadtrip in the norwegian fjords: movie
• A small trip to Nürburgring: movie - pictures

Last edited by awt; 01-16-2015 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2015, 07:25 AM   #19
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

1411 EDoc559870730 EBA 01292405307 HeadupDisplay.pdf

This install manual clarifies that the canbus connections are done at the Junction box.

No coding required.

Looking forward to a posting of the user manual with available settings

Last edited by eeghie; 02-20-2015 at 07:32 AM..
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2015, 12:32 PM   #20
EldRick
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO - #161 US

Or, for nominal cost, you can get a GPS app for your smartphone that projects a HUD on the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 01:41 PM   #21
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep

thx @Artemis for the cross link to other info; the local speed limit, and cruise control settings (a 'cruise control engaged' indication is actually missing from our dashboards) alone would be worth it for me. Torque just makes it sweet!

Anybody else suspicious about those height indications, (these guys must be running some big ass trunk spoilers )
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2015, 11:23 PM   #22
Harlequin
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: F32 Coupé

Garage List
Want.