XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-14-2015, 10:00 AM   #1
///Mpower///
Sergeant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Spiritedly

To Dinan or not to Dinan...

Hey all...

Looking at a Dinan S1 Signature pack. I know there are other tunes, but Dinan (allegedly) doesn't void BMW's factory warranty. ...so a couple questions:

1. Has anyone verified the warranty question?
2. What's the general consensus on Dinan tunes?

TIA
'13 M5 - Singapore Gray, Black Ext. Napa, Dinan FF Exhaust, much more to follow.
'12 X5 M - Carbon blk, Cinnamon interior <retired>
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 11:13 AM   #2
X5M_DA
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

Haven't read anywhere on forums other tunes causing engine issues ...that said I have been Running an ESS tune for over 2yrs with no problems ...u can get far better performance from other tunes out there for fraction of price of Dinan
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 12:26 PM   #3
///Mpower///
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5M_DA View Post
Haven't read anywhere on forums other tunes causing engine issues ...that said I have been Running an ESS tune for over 2yrs with no problems ...u can get far better performance from other tunes out there for fraction of price of Dinan
Sounds like a risky proposition. If I go w/ a cheaper (but possibly better) alternative to Dinan, I risk losing my CPO and paying out-of-pocket for any issues that may arise...whether or not they're a result of the tune.
'13 M5 - Singapore Gray, Black Ext. Napa, Dinan FF Exhaust, much more to follow.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 12:44 PM   #4
Rated M Roadster
Captain
Rep
Drives: F10 M5, i3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by X5Mer View Post
I risk losing my CPO and paying out-of-pocket for any issues that may arise...
Same applies to Dinan; Dinan will void your warranty.

In my opinion, Dinan is the bottom of the barrel. I would never buy anything they make.

Here is an interesting read as well:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1090629

CURRENT ll F10 M5 l E85 Z4MR l I01 i3 REX
SOLD ll E70 X5M l E85 Z4MR VF570 l E36/7 Z3MR l E36 328i
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 04:23 PM   #5
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Heres the thing with dinan (you have the wrong idea at the moment). They match the factory NEW CAR warranty, 4 years or 50,000 miles. Seeing you have a 2012 I'm guessing you bought it CPO so there is no point in dumping the 3k on their weak tune as they will not cover any repairs for you.

That said, I have been dinan tuned since my car had 500 miles on it, tuned with S1 for 48,000 miles and zero issues whatsoever. Its a great tune but certainly conservative. Velos on the other hand is a stronger in comparison. Glad I made the switch. Dinan is no longer the premier tuner for bmws especially since Steve Dinan is gone. I'd spend my money elsewhere. Renntech and Velos would be my top choices for these cars, I went with Velos and its been great so far. Will be making a detailed review once things warm up and I can hit the drag strip with the new setup. Think it will break into the 11's. I ran a 12.2 with dinan last summer..

2018 M6 Gran Coupe Competition- Singapore Grey/Aragon Brown
DME Stage 3
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 06:28 PM   #6
///Mpower///
Sergeant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmomo313
Heres the thing with dinan (you have the wrong idea at the moment). They match the factory NEW CAR warranty, 4 years or 50,000 miles. Seeing you have a 2012 I'm guessing you bought it CPO so there is no point in dumping the 3k on their weak tune as they will not cover any repairs for you.

That said, I have been dinan tuned since my car had 500 miles on it, tuned with S1 for 48,000 miles and zero issues whatsoever. Its a great tune but certainly conservative. Velos on the other hand is a stronger in comparison. Glad I made the switch. Dinan is no longer the premier tuner for bmws especially since Steve Dinan is gone. I'd spend my money elsewhere. Renntech and Velos would be my top choices for these cars, I went with Velos and its been great so far. Will be making a detailed review once things warm up and I can hit the drag strip with the new setup. Think it will break into the 11's. I ran a 12.2 with dinan last summer..
Wow...didn't know that Steve Dinan left. This forum is invaluable.

Great info and much appreciated. Would love to hear your review of Velos once broken in.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2015, 07:58 PM   #7
lanbrown
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmomo313 View Post
A Dinan tuned vehicle is eligible to be CPO'd. That does raise an interesting point as Dinan is no longer warranting the vehicle but the new owner has purchased as a CPO. So if there was an issue, it puts the dealer in a weird spot. BMW could refuse warranty work but now the dealer has a customer that is stuck in the middle. The SA working on your behalf is an invaluable asset though. So the dealer might be willing to do more for you. The new owner adding a Dinan tune is a different matter and the dealer could be a lot less willing to do anything for you if there is an issue down the line.

For the OP, this is a decision you need to make and what you are comfortable with.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 04:20 PM   #8
WilliCO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 535 xDrive MSport

On non-warranted tunes: no, we don't read too much about people's cars exploding when they run these tunes.

But we read a lot of "I just got this used BMW, and I've had 35 problems with it in the first 6 months, boy oh boy do BMWs suck these days."

Am I the only one who figures a lot of these cars are lease returns or used cars with previous owners who tuned them, pulled the tunes off of them before they returned or sold them, and unleashed their latent issues on the next owner?