XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

09-10-2009, 12:55 AM   #1
foofitr
SoCal beach bum
United_States
Rep
Drives: DINAN X6 xDrive 50i

My DINAN X6 50i...Finally!

After 8 looong months, I finally have my X6 back in my garage. Dinan really outdid themselves, what a difference! The exhaust sounds killer, the black cermic tips look great, and the red caliper Gran Turismo Brembo brakes are an awesome addition. I am amazed that they completely got rid of the turbo lag, and it's a significant difference with the 70 extra horsepower and the extra 80 ft-lbf of torque ...and my car is only at Stage 1! It took me a while to get used to the additional power, especially taking corners. I guess it's because I have been driving Steve Dinan's 500 HP 335i for the last 37 weeks. I was told they sould finish Stage 3 sometime in the next three months, at which time I will change out my exhaust again for something even more agressive, and I wll get the software update to get an additional 100 - 150 horsepower. All in all, even though I had to wait 8 months, I got close to $25K of free upgrades, and I was told I will be the only X6 to get the Dinan badge, pretty cool.

Last edited by foofitr; 09-10-2009 at 03:00 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 08:58 AM   #2
fyim
First Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

any pics, videos?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #3
ChilliWilli
Chillin' like a villain
Rep
Drives: Like i stole it

Congrats...

Please post pics and vids. Did Dinan provide you with dyno data? Currious to know what the 0-60 and 1/4 mile #'s are
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 11:04 AM   #4
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by foofitr View Post
After 8 looong months, I finally have my X6 back in my garage. Dinan really outdid themselves, what a difference! The exhaust sounds killer, the black cermic tips look great, and the red caliper Gran Turismo Brembo brakes are an awesome addition. I am amazed that they completely got rid of the turbo lag, and it's a significant difference with the 70 extra horsepower and the extra 80 ft-lbf of torque ...and my car is only at Stage 1! It took me a while to get used to the additional power, especially taking corners. I guess it's because I have been driving Steve Dinan's 500 HP 335i for the last 37 weeks. I was told they sould finish Stage 3 sometime in the next three months, at which time I will change out my exhaust again for something even more agressive, and I wll get the software update to get an additional 100 - 150 horsepower. All in all, even though I had to wait 8 months, I got close to $25K of free upgrades, and I was told I will be the only X6 to get the Dinan badge, pretty cool.

foofitr, glad to hear you have it back and that it all worked out. So is it safe to say to upgrade to the stage 1 you have now will cost around 25k ?

So the dinan badge is no longer being awarded based on points ?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2009, 08:15 PM   #5
foofitr
SoCal beach bum
United_States
Rep

I will be posting pics as soon as I find time to wash it; driving through Fresno and Bakersfield does a number on your grill with all the bugs. I was told by the head engineer at Dinan that they don't do dyno data for all wheel drive vehicles, can anyone verify that for me? The $25K was figured by including labor on top of the products and parts they provided (Brakes alone were $15K), and as part of our agreement, they fixed some previous damage to the front end. The Dinan badge is still awarded on points, but since they won't be offering enough upgrades for the X6 to accumulate the points neccessary, I was told I would be the only one. Getting the badge was a big deal, especially since the work they did on my car wouldn't have added up to enough points, but it was a part of what we negotiated pior, so they did it very reluctantly.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #6
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
I will be posting pics as soon as I find time to wash it; driving through Fresno and Bakersfield does a number on your grill with all the bugs. I was told by the head engineer at Dinan that they don't do dyno data for all wheel drive vehicles, can anyone verify that for me? The $25K was figured by including labor on top of the products and parts they provided (Brakes alone were $15K), and as part of our agreement, they fixed some previous damage to the front end. The Dinan badge is still awarded on points, but since they won't be offering enough upgrades for the X6 to accumulate the points neccessary, I was told I would be the only one. Getting the badge was a big deal, especially since the work they did on my car wouldn't have added up to enough points, but it was a part of what we negotiated pior, so they did it very reluctantly.
We're all sitting waiting for pixs and you're talk about bugs!

Please post pixs.

For some reason I thought Dinan was going to do a Stage 2 upgrade on yours at this point?

Too bad about the badge. I guess there probably won't a demand for a 650 hp Dinan X6?
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2009, 07:17 PM   #7
foofitr
SoCal beach bum
United_States
Rep

I'm waiting for a couple of other scuffs to be fixed and for some extras I purchased like a bamboo wood shifter and steering wheel to arrive before I wash and take pics. As for the stage my car is currently in, you are preaching to the choir. When I volunteered my X6 for this project I was told the process could take anywhere from 3 -12 weeks, what a joke! So yes, I thought my car would be at Stage 2, at a minimum, about 5 months ago. I was told by their head engineer that a mandatory BMW software update for all X6's caused more of a delay over recent weeks, but who knows. Don't hold your breath on being able to purchase anything from Dinan for the X6 anytime soon, they have a lot they still want to figure out with exhaust and tuning, and they don't seem to be approaching any of this like it's a priority
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2009, 01:02 AM   #8
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
I'm waiting for a couple of other scuffs to be fixed and for some extras I purchased like a bamboo wood shifter and steering wheel to arrive before I wash and take pics. As for the stage my car is currently in, you are preaching to the choir. When I volunteered my X6 for this project I was told the process could take anywhere from 3 -12 weeks, what a joke! So yes, I thought my car would be at Stage 2, at a minimum, about 5 months ago. I was told by their head engineer that a mandatory BMW software update for all X6's caused more of a delay over recent weeks, but who knows. Don't hold your breath on being able to purchase anything from Dinan for the X6 anytime soon, they have a lot they still want to figure out with exhaust and tuning, and they don't seem to be approaching any of this like it's a priority
Just kidding about the pixs BTW. I know you'll post as soon as you can.

Yeah, the bad economy has put the brakes on a lot of things. Today, I stumbled on BMW's announcement from a few months ago about their decision not do a e89 Z4 M. I knew about it for some time, but I'm sure I was the last person in the world to read the actual text.

But what was interesting in that same article is the BMW spokesperson said the decisions ("sign off") to do the X5 and X6 M had occurred before the economy really tanked. I gathered they decided at least 2 years ago, which says we're lucky that they even continued with the M production. Makes me wonder about 2011 production, and what these M's might be worth some day. Certainly any US company would have killed them at the first sign of a weakening economy.

Obviously those same issues have to be affecting Dinan's company as well. He's probably assessed US demand (X5 / X6) right now and prioritized other vehicles. At least you got to drive his car during that time, so it wasn't a total loss for you.
Appreciate 0