XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

01-31-2024, 07:10 PM   #1
Freude_am_fahren
Rep
Drives: BMW M1

E71 50i with timing issue

Hey,

I have a E71 with the N63, 2010 X6 50i with 112k miles. The car has a bunch of codes, among others 2A81 for Intake Variable Camshaft Timing Control, Activation 2 and 2A9D Crankshaft - Exhaust Camshaft 2, Reference.
I had a look at the live VANOS data and VANOS 2 Adaptation, Exhaust sticks out with -24°. The guy I got the car from said he replaced all four timing solenoids. He also said he first installed wrong solenoids and had to replace them again with the right ones. So maybe he installed wrong ones again, who knows.
Could you kindly have a look at the attached data and share your opinion about if I have to redo the physical timing or what else could be done/diagnosed.
What about this -24° Vanos 2 adaptation exhaust? Vanos 2 is bank 2 and Vanos 1 is bank 1? That is data from idle. When I pressed the gas in P, these values changed by around 2° up and down, the -24° kept sticking out.
What could cause that?
in my opinion
-faulty VANOS (solenoid, wiring, DME etc)
-faulty camshaft adjuster gear (worn out etc)
-faulty timing chain drive (stretched chain, faulty tensioner, broken guides etc)

My guess is the chain is stretched/tensioner faulty and the Vanos tries to adjust for it.
Vanos exhaust positions are similar for bank 1 and bank 2, yet the adaptations are different. So I think there is a problem with the chain drive on bank 2.

thank you for your thoughts
Name:  IMG_7699.jpeg
Views: 63
Size:  514.8 KB
Name:  IMG_7701.jpeg
Views: 52
Size:  479.8 KB
Name:  IMG_7693.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  309.1 KB

Last edited by Freude_am_fahren; 01-31-2024 at 07:23 PM..
Appreciate 0