XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

09-27-2010, 02:26 PM   #1
X6 MBN
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Software Update...

The parking brake failed on my 2008 X6 so I took it to my local dealer for them to repair under the warranty. While there I told them that sometimes the memory for the steering wheels position doesn't work and that I have to reset it from time to time.

They called later to tell me that my X6 wouldn't be ready to collect as to fix/diagnose any issue with the steering wheel memory they needed to update the software of the X6 to the latest version. They had started to do this but as at 5pm the update was displaying 5 hours left.

Has anyone else on the forum had experience of this and if so, will there be any additional benefits of software update? For example, will it unlock speech recognition or present a different version of the idrive interface?

Incidentally, they told me it was taking so long to update as it had not had any updates from new! This in itself raises another issue with the dealer I had purchased the X6 from (not the same) as it went back to them three times because the rear de-mist wasn't working properly. They said that it had been on the diagnostics and it said all was fine. In the end they replaced the rear screen under warranty as it was faulty (I had to tell them to spray water on the window and watch it not clear up in the middle!). I'm kind of thinking that the original dealer has tried to pull a fast one as it's not the first issue I've had with the X6.

1. DAB dropping signal regularly.
2. Rusty brake calipers and hubs (refurbished under warranty).
3. Rear de-mist missing a line (rear window replaced under warranty).
4. Rear bumper bracket broken (repaired by original dealer).
5. Flaking alloy wheel laquer (today told all 4 wheels refurbished badly!)
6. Steering wheel losing memory.
7. Parking brake failure (ok, can't blame the dealer for that... can I?).

Don't get me wrong though... I'm bitching about the dealer and not the X6 itself. I think it's possibly the best car I've ever owned (despite the niggling issues!).
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 03:01 PM   #2
dannym
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 640d M Sport

One of my brake calipers has started to go rusty, how did you get them to refurb them under warranty? They wanted to change me £25 a corner to paint them.

Did the software update fix your DAB? I get reception around where I live but nowhere else!!

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
X6 MBN
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Danny,

There was quite a bit of corrosion on the calipers and because I jumped up and down and argued with the original dealer, they conceded their stance that it was a natural and expected occurrence. My local dealer helpfully emailed a pdf document which wasn't exactly on the point but it helped all the same. Also, when the original dealer tried to show other vehicles on the forecourt with the same problem there wasn't any! I'll try and upload my caliper (and hub) photo and also the pdf document.

I don't know whether the software update has fixed the DAB issue yet, I will let you know when I get it back. What area of the UK are you in?
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Brake Disk Rusting.pdf (160.2 KB, 202 views)
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #4
dannym
Private First Class
Rep

I only have an area of rust on the main caliper body looking like it originates from the hole in the middle. My other 3 calipers still look like new. What colour paint did they use to refurb them?

I'm in Wiltshire about 20 mins south of the M4
Appreciate 0
      09-27-2010, 04:02 PM   #5
X6 MBN
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

They replaced the calipers which were most corroded and refurbished the hub using a silver/chrome paint. They look like new now, although didn't take any photos to show!

And just for information, I'm in Staffordshire. DAB great and then disappears... very frustrating!
Appreciate 0
      09-28-2010, 04:59 PM   #6
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

interesting my X6 is 2 years old and after reading this went out and checked , my calipers look like new. So is this a UK thing since everyone here with the issue is from UK ?
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 05:47 AM   #7
hdman1216
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2009 X6 50i White/Chateau R

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmlgc View Post
interesting my X6 is 2 years old and after reading this went out and checked , my calipers look like new. So is this a UK thing since everyone here with the issue is from UK ?
It is NOT just a UK thing. 2 of my X6 calipers look just like the posted picture.

Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 09:42 AM   #8
dannym
Private First Class
Rep

I was gonna say it could be because of our crap weather and the amount of salt they put on the roads here in the winter
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 09:57 AM   #9
dmlgc
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X6MC - 335D

maybe that's the difference I live in California, if you go to the snow they put sand on the roads.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 10:37 AM   #10
CoachmanX6
CoachmanX6
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 35D

Hi Guys

My X6 also has rusty calipers even though I am always cleaning it ( As I am retired and on a perminant 7 day weekend.) My location is in the southeast Kent uk.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 10:41 AM   #11
X6 MBN
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Did the software update fix your DAB? I get reception around where I live but nowhere else!!

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Hi Danny,

Had my X6 back for two days now following the software update. Nothing on the visual interface any different and they didn't accidentally unlock my voice activation button, but... so far so good with the DAB! It hasn't dropped out once and usually I would have experienced drop out over the same period.

Mark
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 12:34 PM   #12
CoachmanX6
CoachmanX6
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW X6 35D

Hi X6 MBN

The problem that I have found with DAB radio is that no instructions are supplied from BMW, I also fine that it cuts out when on some motorways such as the M26 in Kent, I just have to play with it to fine out how it works. As the BMW sales guys did not recommend including it it my spec, But I find that it does work quite well most of the time
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2010, 12:51 PM   #13
dannym
Private First Class
Rep

Thanks Mark, maybe I need to book it in for an update. With the voice activation button, doesn't it need a module installed for that to work?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 03:47 AM   #14
bmw_convert
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: X6

Looks like I'm not the only one with the very rusty brake calipers! Always thought it was because of the salt or the chemicals from the wheel cleaners! I live in Central London and my latest warranty issue (last week) was a leaking valve from the A/C. Software is problematic at times as well including sat nav by which I have to eject the disc to resolve issue.

Maybe I'll bring up the rust issue next visit to the dealership!
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2010, 06:50 AM   #15
UK6
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & 330e

I had my auto lights adjusted so they wouldn't be so sensitive and the dealer updated the software for that, it took a full day to do and it did the trick.
Voice control doesn't work for me, must be an accent thing lol
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 12:36 PM   #16
X6 MBN
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UK6 View Post
I had my auto lights adjusted so they wouldn't be so sensitive and the dealer updated the software for that, it took a full day to do and it did the trick.
Voice control doesn't work for me, must be an accent thing lol
I know what you mean about sensitive auto lights, mine come on close to my home when I pass under 50 metres of tree covered road!

I asked the dealer about the voice control and although I have professional navigation, apparently it's not standard and therefore I will have to pay for it... but they don't know how much it will cost! They did tell me to add the reverse assist camera would be £1100!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 12:37 PM   #17
X6 MBN
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Will try and take photos of the calipers and hubs which are now perfect!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2010, 12:49 PM   #18
UK6
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 & 330e

Quote:
Originally Posted by X6 MBN View Post
I know what you mean about sensitive auto lights, mine come on close to my home when I pass under 50 metres of tree covered road!

I asked the dealer about the voice control and although I have professional navigation, apparently it's not standard and therefore I will have to pay for it... but they don't know how much it will cost! They did tell me to add the reverse assist camera would be £1100!
To be honest the voice control is pretty useles for me, I just get "sorry?" every time I try it, dealer told me that the auto lights struggle with differentiating between blue sky and dark
Appreciate 0