XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

08-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #23
miller
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011M3MD View Post
Where did you pay 300 for the Megan? It is about 500 from what I have seen?
redline360.com - I Googled "Megan Racing X5M" and it came up third from the top. $338 for stainless tips, $374 if you want the blue tips (not exactly my style). All three models appear to be in stock. Mine shipped today and looks like it should arrive before the weekend.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 03:25 AM   #24
M3 n X5M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 M, 2008 e90 M3 6 MT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller
Quote:
redline360.com - I Googled "Megan Racing X5M" and it came up third from the top. $338 for stainless tips, $374 if you want the blue tips (not exactly my style). All three models appear to be in stock. Mine shipped today and looks like it should arrive before the weekend.
Thanks for the info! I look forward to your video. It is great you took the initiative to try the Megan.
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2012, 07:06 AM   #25
Spaceballs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 Space Grey X5M

Let us know how difficult the install is. I've always dealt with "bolt on" exhaust systems, never saw one that needed to be cut and welded. I agree, 5k is ridiculous. I have a B&B on my M3, and new its only 1300.
      08-15-2012, 05:04 PM   #26
GdUp4RmFtUp
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: VQ35

subscribed!

EURO-SPEC.NET FTW
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 02:54 AM   #27
M3 n X5M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Any news?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 09:01 AM   #28
miller
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Received the part the other day. I have an appointment for Thursday morning to have it installed.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 10:11 AM   #29
Jimshorts
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by miller View Post
Received the part the other day. I have an appointment for Thursday morning to have it installed.
Besides changing the exhaust note are you expecting any kind of HP gains from this exhaust?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 02:02 PM   #30
miller
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimshorts View Post
Besides changing the exhaust note are you expecting any kind of HP gains from this exhaust?
Just looking for a throatier exhaust note and no "M" valves. No HP gains expected. I'm not going to even bother throwing it on the dyno for a comparison.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #31
Jimshorts
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Just looking for a throatier exhaust note and no "M" valves. No HP gains expected. I'm not going to even bother throwing it on the dyno for a comparison.
Can you explain to me the M valves and how they work... Im new to this truck and have been trying to figure everything out. I do notice a difference when Im in M mode and when Im not. There is definitely a deeper and thoatier exhaust note when Im in M. So Im assuming that M mode must trigger something in the exhaust to make it sound that way? This Megan exhaust gets rid of that and gives you that sound in every setting?
Sorry to sound like such a newb just want to figure everything out about these things.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 03:09 PM   #32
Biff Grissel
stankmouth
United_States
Rep
Drives: fun

Quote:
Can you explain to me the M valves and how they work... Im new to this truck and have been trying to figure everything out. I do notice a difference when Im in M mode and when Im not. There is definitely a deeper and thoatier exhaust note when Im in M. So Im assuming that M mode must trigger something in the exhaust to make it sound that way? This Megan exhaust gets rid of that and gives you that sound in every setting?
Sorry to sound like such a newb just want to figure everything out about these things.
yeah there are remote valves on your stock exhaust, that open when in M mode and therefore change the sound making it deeper. if u look into ur pipes i think u can see em. i havent seen the OEM pipes in a while but i think i remmber that. alot of aftermarket options have the remote valve option aswell. alot have the actuator on a keychain or in the cabin.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 03:30 PM   #33
miller
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff Grissel View Post
yeah there are remote valves on your stock exhaust, that open when in M mode and therefore change the sound making it deeper. if u look into ur pipes i think u can see em. i havent seen the OEM pipes in a while but i think i remmber that. alot of aftermarket options have the remote valve option aswell. alot have the actuator on a keychain or in the cabin.
Yep. They're a vacuum-activated set of valves just inboard of the stock exhaust tips. They only open when in M mode. When open, you can notice a slightly throatier note and it enhances the "burble" when coming on/off throttle and during shifts. If you look at the back of your truck, you can see them on the inner tips (right-most on the driverside, left-most on passenger side).

Some aftermarkets use an electronic set of valves or, like the Akrapovic, utilize the OEM vacuum-activated valve system to get the same effect - quieter cruising when closed, louder when open.

I want that slightly deeper sound and burble all the time. And, I want my tips to discolor/dirty at the same rate. The stock outer tips get much blacker than the inner tips and it looks like something is wrong. Again, personal preference, not performance-oriented.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #34
Biff Grissel
stankmouth
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yep. They're a vacuum-activated set of valves just inboard of the stock exhaust tips. They only open when in M mode. When open, you can notice a slightly throatier note and it enhances the "burble" when coming on/off throttle and during shifts. If you look at the back of your truck, you can see them on the inner tips (right-most on the driverside, left-most on passenger side).

Some aftermarkets use an electronic set of valves or, like the Akrapovic, utilize the OEM vacuum-activated valve system to get the same effect - quieter cruising when closed, louder when open.

I want that slightly deeper sound and burble all the time. And, I want my tips to discolor/dirty at the same rate. The stock outer tips get much blacker than the inner tips and it looks like something is wrong. Again, personal preference, not performance-oriented.
looking forward to hearing theese.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #35
M3 n X5M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff Grissel View Post

This is exciting.

Btw: the valves in the stock open under two conditions; 1) M mode, 2) when you move the tranny lever to the left d/s mode and shift gears the car goes into Manual mode and the exhaust valves stay open. The latter happens when the car is moving or stopped, so long as the lever is on d/s - the car need not be in M mode.

I have been doing this all week as I too am looking to increase sound without breaking the bank cruising in M mode to open the valves. I recommend anyone try this.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2012, 11:16 PM   #36
mrmomo313
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M6 Gran Coupe

Quote:
This is exciting.

Btw: the valves in the stock open under two conditions; 1) M mode, 2) when you move the tranny lever to the left d/s mode and shift gears the car goes into Manual mode and the exhaust valves stay open. The latter happens when the car is moving or stopped, so long as the lever is on d/s - the car need not be in M mode.

I have been doing this all week as I too am looking to increase sound without breaking the bank cruising in M mode to open the valves. I recommend anyone try this.
you could also just mod the flaps to stay open all the time. its not very hard to do. i'm pretty sure someone put a thread up on how to do it
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2012, 10:48 PM   #37
miller
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmomo313 View Post
you could also just mod the flaps to stay open all the time. its not very hard to do. i'm pretty sure someone put a thread up on how to do it
It is very easy to do with some safety wire, but it still leaves you with tiny exhaust tips and the huge OE muffler visible under the rear skirt.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2012, 07:59 AM   #38
Jimshorts
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
It is very easy to do with some safety wire, but it still leaves you with tiny exhaust tips and the huge OE muffler visible under the rear skirt.
Exactly... was talking to a local shop and they were trying to convince me to just cut off the exhaust and straight pipe it.
      08-19-2012, 11:19 AM   #39
Biff Grissel
stankmouth
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Exactly... was talking to a local shop and they were trying to convince me to just cut off the exhaust and straight pipe it.
do it!i wanna hear it. i like loud intrusive with major cabin drone...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #40
miller
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Got the exhaust installed. Opened a new thread:

http://www.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=735534
Appreciate 0