XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

06-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #1
DDP2011X5M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

Any vendor recommendations for making stock X5M rims into black chrome

Saw a set of black chrome wheels on an X5M (Blue @ Encinitas BMW). Any recommendations on SoCal vendor who can black chrome stock wheels?
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2012, 12:27 AM   #2
Biff Grissel
stankmouth
United_States
Rep
Drives: fun

Pm big22dubz, he knows all the spots and has hookups.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 11:36 AM   #3
BiG22DuBz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5M

Yo I have several places u can try....and the good ones are in OC. Or you can use google and yelp and go into their office and look at the example of work they do. Should look pretty sick. Post pics!
CLS55 and C6Z06 (previous rides)
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #4
DDP2011X5M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiG22DuBz
Yo I have several places u can try....and the good ones are in OC. Or you can use google and yelp and go into their office and look at the example of work they do. Should look pretty sick. Post pics!
Sent you a PM
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
D.B.S
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 X5 35i / '13 S5

Not to piggy off of this, but I'm looking for the same type of thing to be done for my plain ole X5 on the east coast (preferably around Virginia or NYC)... Any recommended vendors... I've tried looking but most of them seem to be on the west coast and not really big on the east coast

BMW X5 35i: Boopie Exhaust & Intercooler, K&N Drop in Filter, JB3 (3+ psi)
2013 Dodge Challenger R/T: CAI, Catch Can, Custom Exhaust, Headers, 87MM Throttle Body, Diablo Custom 93 OCT Tune
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 11:21 AM   #6
But Officer...
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 M/2011 Jaguar XJ

Stock X5M rims black

Just had my stock rims painted black... love them! Send pics once you've finished yours.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
Jimshorts
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5m

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccasten View Post
Just had my stock rims painted black... love them! Send pics once you've finished yours.
Thats looks awesome... This is on my list of things to get done.

I might go a flat black instead of gloss though.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 01:47 PM   #8
But Officer...
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimshorts View Post
Thats looks awesome... This is on my list of things to get done.

I might go a flat black instead of gloss though.
Thanks! I just wanted to match the trim and the black grills I added... I bet the flat black would look sic and would hold up better than the glossy look; make sure to upload pics b/c I may do that for my winter rims. Mine can scratch easily and they stand out...
I'm ordering new black or carbon fiber emblems all the way around this week. I'll update pics once complete.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #9
StephansonTieu
X5 Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2001 BMW x5 3.0i

Garage List
2001 BMW X5  [9.00]
Quote:
Thanks! I just wanted to match the trim and the black grills I added... I bet the flat black would look sic and would hold up better than the glossy look; make sure to upload pics b/c I may do that for my winter rims. Mine can scratch easily and they stand out...
I'm ordering new black or carbon fiber emblems all the way around this week. I'll update pics once complete.
Sorry to be off topic but im just about to buy from this website. Maybe your seller is more reliable.
http://www.ilovebodykits.com/product...l_Caps_Se.html
Saw the carbon fibre ones, and in my opinion it doesn't look so great.
Btw, love the red. Stands OUT!
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
Jimshorts
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5m

Quote:
I saw that you had a glossy black grill on the front... did you get that painted as well or did you order it? I literally looking to do the exact same thing. Black out all the chrome on the truck and murder it black. Not sure if I should go flat or gloss. You're definitely killing it man with the glossy look Im really digging it making me lean that way.
Appreciate 0
      08-08-2012, 07:19 AM   #11
But Officer...
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimshorts
Quote:
I saw that you had a glossy black grill on the front... did you get that painted as well or did you order it? I literally looking to do the exact same thing. Black out all the chrome on the truck and murder it black. Not sure if I should go flat or gloss. You're definitely killing it man with the glossy look Im really digging it making me lean that way.
Ordered the black grills from BMW when purchased... I have seen Carbon Fiber versions on other websites... There are instructions for self installation, but I didn't want to take that chance so I paid a little more and had BMW do it...

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2012, 12:00 AM   #12
ek1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDP2011X5M View Post
Saw a set of black chrome wheels on an X5M (Blue @ Encinitas BMW). Any recommendations on SoCal vendor who can black chrome stock wheels?
I have done PVD black chrome on my previous vehicle and will never do it again. The vendor I used was called something like permachrome.com, but I am pretty sure all the shops use the same exact PVD process. While the finish itself definitely looks good, its VERY fragile. If you compare it with factory clear coating, its not even on the same planet. You will get hairline scratches in the finish after a few car washes. Once your wheels are PVD coated, they need to be treated pretty much with the same methods as the car body - no abrasive wheel cleaners (mild soap and detergent only), no brushes (micro fiber cloth only), etc, etc.

When my wheels were coated, I found a few blemishes that looked like a spec of dust stuck to the rim and coating was applied on top of it. A high quality shop may not have this issue, but your mileage may vary.

As far as curb rash is concerned, I did not have one on my PVD wheels, but I dont even know if it can be repaired the same way regular silver-color rims are repaired.

Finally, if you are not much into bling, definitely go with a flat finish. Black chrome is still chrome.
Appreciate 0