XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

02-10-2017, 01:22 PM   #1
E70'11
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: || E70 35i | R32 GTR ||

Update!! DIY Performance M Spt Heated Wheel & Airbag To Spt Airbag Cover

Welcome to my first DIY so I will apologize now if this DIY isn't as great as many have posted before. I shall do my best to answer any questions you guys might have and hopefully it'll turn out as you like as it did for me.

Reason: I decided to upgrade my E70 2011 heated non sport steering wheel to a M sport heated alcantara steering wheel. I researched a few DIY's on how to do the steering wheel swap and airbag cover swap. What I HAVEN'T seen was how to do an airbag swap to a m sport airbag cover from a non sport steering wheel. So I took it upon myself to figure it out and make this DIY to help others save $400.00 or so.

DISCLAIMER: I do not take any responsibility on the actions you may perform on your own vehicle. Everything you see and follow is at your own risks. The results I believe is worth saving anyone $400 even if it is a little bit on the long side to make this modification work.

Difficulty: 1-10 I would say this is a 5 (you'll see why).

Duration: 3 hrs due to airbag swap

Tools: 10mm socket, socket wrench, breaker bar, torque wrench bar, 16mm 1/2" socket, long flat head screw driver, Philips screw driver, and decent lighting.

Equipment: M sport steering wheel, sport cover, and airbag

Before

After

Let's begin shall we . . .

1. Open the driver door, open the trunk, and lift the floor to get to the battery that sits underneath.

*Do NOT close your trunk or door because once your battery is disconnected you can not open it*

2. This is the cover you'll need to remove to gain access too your battery underneath. This vehicle already had a Philips screw driver, if you do not have one then get one.

3. Remove the (5) screws from the cover to remove

4. This is your battery, remove the negative terminal and make sure it isn't touching anything at all once removed. You will need a 10mm socket and a socket wrench.

5. Go back into the driver side of your car and locate the slits on the steering wheel. This is what mine has so yours might be different but I'm sure the location is the same. You will need a long flat head screw driver for this step. Notice there are a slit on each side, insert the flat head screw driver in those slits.

6. Once you pop off the steering wheel airbag/airbag cover by pushing against the pins. You'll see what's behind and the pins you were pressing against. I want to say you have to insert the flat head at an angel then twist towards yourself to release the airbag cover from the steering wheel.

7. You'll need to disconnect the clips attached from the backside of the airbag from the car. I simply just pulled and it unclipped without breaking so be careful.

8. This is the backside of the airbag, as you see the connectors you'll need to unclip these. There is a plastic piece if you noticed running long ways over the back of the connectors. Lift up so they are up on both sides and then pull to release from the airbag itself.

9. Once fully removed, you'll notice extra wires with clips so make sure you unclip those and pay attention to clip them back on the new wheel. After doing so use the 16mm 1/2" drive socket and break bar to remove the bolt.

10. Once you remove the bolt notice the green marking and literally right underneath it a groove in the rivets that line up. Make sure these LINE UP when assembling this back together. This will make sure your steering wheel is lined up and not off center.

11. Now that you see your old steering wheel and connectors compare the two to the new steering wheel.

12. I transferred over the heating control module to the new steering wheel and connected it like the old steering wheel was.

13. The fun part below is the airbag/airbag cover attached. There is roughly 15 clips that go along the airbag cover. Pry the clips using a flat head screw driver and slide a piece of metal to keep the clips from clipping back. I did this on one side to get it lose and then applied pressure when I separated the two.

14. Below you'll see the separation and be careful because the airbag is packed in a certain way. Once you remove the airbag cover keep the airbag formed the way it comes out.

15. Once completed transfer the sport steering wheel airbag cover onto the airbag and press together to clip.

16. Assemble the steering wheel back onto your car in reverse order when removing and you're done. Once you reconnect the battery the 4x4 warning light will appear. Let your car run for a little bit and then go driving and eventually it'll disappear. It will NOT come back from what I've noticed and now you can enjoy the ease of saving $400 plus the new addition to your car.

2010 E90 335i 1M FBO MHD Tune (SOLD)
2009 E92 335i FBO JB4 G5 ISO (SOLD)

Last edited by E70'11; 02-15-2017 at 03:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 03:29 PM   #2
E70'11
Lieutenant
Rep

Sorry everyone, the pictures weren't showing but now they do so I hope this helps!

Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 07:11 AM   #3
Blackland
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6M

Garage List
2014 BMW X6M  [0.00]
Thanks, wish I had this before I did mine. I installed the M Sport Alcantara wheel, but it does not have wheel heat so I lost that function. Where did you get one with wheel heat?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2017, 09:17 AM   #4
E70'11
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackland View Post
Thanks, wish I had this before I did mine. I installed the M Sport Alcantara wheel, but it does not have wheel heat so I lost that function. Where did you get one with wheel heat?
Anytime, I purchased the wheel from someone in the U.K. off the forum named carzoneauto

Appreciate 0