XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

04-24-2012, 12:23 PM   #1
Nittany95
Rep
Drives: BMW 2008 X5

Must have options

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So I am looking to optioning out my X6:

Alpine White
Black Nevada Leather....(wanted the Oyster, but looks like it doesn't do well with jeans)

Premium
Cold Weather
Running Boards
3rd Seat

Options I am waivering on:

Technology vs HUD - seems like everyone loves the HUD, but not sure if I need the side cams, and auto high beems

Comfort Seats - again...everyone loves the seats, but not sure if it's worth the extra grand or so.

Thoughts???
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Biff Grissel
stankmouth
United_States
Rep
Drives: fun

i never use the side cams they are useless imo. but the HUD and auto beams are def must haves, and the seats are def worth it and imo u should get the black merino not the nevada leather.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 12:56 PM   #3
Nittany95
Rep

Ha! Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately, can't spend the $7k for the Merino.

Last edited by Nittany95; 04-24-2012 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #4
Mike van D
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3

Multi-contour Ventilated seats are def a must have in my book. Love the a$$ massager on long trips.
      04-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
BabyBlack
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 & E90 335i & E71 X6M

rear view camera with top view is a must have option for X6
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 02:58 PM   #6
Nittany95
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBlack View Post
Definitely...they come with the premium package.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #7
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
For me:
1.3-seat option
2.HUD
3.Comfort seats
4.Auto-highbeam
5.Premium audio

Premium/sport package is a given
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 11:09 PM   #8
Jess///M
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 X6M

The ONLY thing I did not get was the 6-disc CD changer for the glove box. Basically, I didn't want any regrets on the factory-installed options. Yet, i think i should have gone for the changer as I sometimes regret I did not get it.

Having said that, I really appreciate the perf seats with ventilation, the heated steering wheel on cold San Diego mornings, all of the stereo/app/etc. electronic options, and the M engine. The rear climate control, heated seats, and entertainment system get accolades from my occasional backseat driver.

Not sure how the HUD is packaged on the '13s, but it's an absolute must-have in my book.

Congrats on the new car, BTW! The X6 is great!
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 10:23 AM   #9
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

The back up camera is a must have as far as options go. Premium sound is woth the $$ as well.
      04-25-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
motex
2020 Mineral White 30d MSport
Costa Rica
Rep
Drives: 2020 Mineral White 30d MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyBlack View Post
+ 1
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
somonster
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: honda, bmw

get the soft-close doors.

makes the car "feel" so much fancier that you'll feel better about spending so much for such an impractical car.

the only essential option is the backup camera. beyond that it's all the cherry on top of the frosting on top of the gravy...

i was stoked about the side view cams when ordering the car. They might be really helpful if you live in a busy city with tight driveways, but i've NEVER used them. As far as the auto high beams, I have the feature activated but I live in the city and my high beams have never switched on automatically.

congrats on whatever you chose.
you'll love it i'm sure.

Last edited by somonster; 04-27-2012 at 04:42 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2012, 04:47 PM   #12
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by somonster View Post
get the soft-close doors.

makes the car "feel" so much fancier that you'll feel better about spending so much for such an impractical car.
I vote for this as well, but not as a "luxury" feature
I have two kids and it helps greatly to get in/out of the car quietly when they are asleep

No more door slamming now either
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 08:24 AM   #13
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

I think we need a little more context here. Leasing or buying? 35 or 50?

If you are buying, then you have the "must have options" (the running boards are a personal choice and not recommended for taller people who live in crappy climates - they do however make the X6 look great). The options you have selected will get you the best trade in value down the road. Oh, I would probably add BMW Apps, especially if you have an iPhone.

Now if you are leasing, you can start optioning up the car and get all the nice options and those are (in my personal preference order):

1. Comfort Seats (Multi-contour). I believe they are now standard on the 50i but optional on the 35i. You won't regret getting these. The ventilated option is ok but not a must by any means
2. Active Steering. I believe this is now free, get it. Trust me!
3. Space Saver spare. Best $150 money can buy.
4. The HUD (side view cameras are worthless unless you live in a big city and are pulling out of garages all the time and auto high beams are cool, but honestly not needed).
5. Sport Activity/M Sport. I personally just like it for the looks but the added power of the M upgrade has to be great. I'm not sure if this removes the comfort seat option and then requires you to upgrade to the ventilated seats. Can't tell.
6. Dynamic Handling - love love LOVE this option. It will be worthless at trade in however.
7. Premium sound - incredible. But only if you like to listen to music. If you are a SAT radio and/or AM/FM person, skip this.
8. Ventilated Seats. Decent for hot climate areas as well as any place that gets into the 90s. Don't be fooled however, they blow warm air. Yes, you won't get AS sweaty, but you won't have your backside cooled either.
9. Soft close doors - an option I skipped and then realized my mistake when driving at the Perf Delivery Center. As AndreyATC points out, nice for kids, but I also like them because the X6 doors are a bit hard to close and my kids could use the extra "cinch" they provide. Amazing technology for only $600.

PS - you can get all of those options above even if you are buying, just remember that you won't get your money back on most.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 12:04 PM   #14
Nittany95
Rep

Great post!

Active steering is part of the Dynamic Handling Package

Backup Camera is part of the Premium Package.

As for resale value, I was talking to a salesperson at BMW and he said that only option that holds real value in resale is the Premium Package and Cold Weather (for us with cooler winters).

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
I think we need a little more context here. Leasing or buying? 35 or 50?

If you are buying, then you have the "must have options" (the running boards are a personal choice and not recommended for taller people who live in crappy climates - they do however make the X6 look great). The options you have selected will get you the best trade in value down the road. Oh, I would probably add BMW Apps, especially if you have an iPhone.

Now if you are leasing, you can start optioning up the car and get all the nice options and those are (in my personal preference order):

1. Comfort Seats (Multi-contour). I believe they are now standard on the 50i but optional on the 35i. You won't regret getting these. The ventilated option is ok but not a must by any means
2. Active Steering. I believe this is now free, get it. Trust me!
3. Space Saver spare. Best $150 money can buy.
4. The HUD (side view cameras are worthless unless you live in a big city and are pulling out of garages all the time and auto high beams are cool, but honestly not needed).
5. Sport Activity/M Sport. I personally just like it for the looks but the added power of the M upgrade has to be great. I'm not sure if this removes the comfort seat option and then requires you to upgrade to the ventilated seats. Can't tell.
6. Dynamic Handling - love love LOVE this option. It will be worthless at trade in however.
7. Premium sound - incredible. But only if you like to listen to music. If you are a SAT radio and/or AM/FM person, skip this.
8. Ventilated Seats. Decent for hot climate areas as well as any place that gets into the 90s. Don't be fooled however, they blow warm air. Yes, you won't get AS sweaty, but you won't have your backside cooled either.
9. Soft close doors - an option I skipped and then realized my mistake when driving at the Perf Delivery Center. As AndreyATC points out, nice for kids, but I also like them because the X6 doors are a bit hard to close and my kids could use the extra "cinch" they provide. Amazing technology for only $600.

PS - you can get all of those options above even if you are buying, just remember that you won't get your money back on most.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 12:36 PM   #15
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nittany95 View Post
Great post!

Active steering is part of the Dynamic Handling Package

Backup Camera is part of the Premium Package.

As for resale value, I was talking to a salesperson at BMW and he said that only option that holds real value in resale is the Premium Package and Cold Weather (for us with cooler winters).
For some reason, on the 2013s, you can get Active Steering as a No Charge Option (see the options page). It is a Priority one option so you won't see it on dealer lots, but you can certainly order it (several here have) and the cost is $0 (I suspect BMW either has too many AS units on hand or this is a glitch that won't last long).

I do like the dynamic handling package - but with the extra cost on it for 2013, I probably would skip it and go with the M Sport.

Note the 3 person rear seat option is a HUGE plus for resale - even if it only costs $350 (your dealer probably is not aware of that being important because it is so new). I would be same thing with BMW apps.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #16
macd1995
macd1995
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328CI, 2013 X6 5.0

Garage List
2008 BMW 328 CI  [0.00]
2013 BMW X6  [0.00]
Quote:
For some reason, on the 2013s, you can get Active Steering as a No Charge Option (see the options page). It is a Priority one option so you won't see it on dealer lots, but you can certainly order it (several here have) and the cost is $0 (I suspect BMW either has too many AS units on hand or this is a glitch that won't last long).

I do like the dynamic handling package - but with the extra cost on it for 2013, I probably would skip it and go with the M Sport.

Note the 3 person rear seat option is a HUGE plus for resale - even if it only costs $350 (your dealer probably is not aware of that being important because it is so new). I would be same thing with BMW apps.
I asked my dealer about this. He asked, and it can only be included in the Dynamic Handling Package. You cannot order this alone... I tried. If someone finds this to be different... please let us know... Who can pass up free (smile)?

To me.. the only MUST have is the five-seat option. Previously I could not justify buying this beautiful car without it-- I could not by a Truck/ SUV that only seated 4.. Once this was added in April of last year, I knew my next car would be the X6.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 02:38 PM   #17
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by macd1995 View Post
I asked my dealer about this. He asked, and it can only be included in the Dynamic Handling Package. You cannot order this alone... I tried. If someone finds this to be different... please let us know... Who can pass up free (smile)?

To me.. the only MUST have is the five-seat option. Previously I could not justify buying this beautiful car without it-- I could not by a Truck/ SUV that only seated 4.. Once this was added in April of last year, I knew my next car would be the X6.
Pex5 is claiming he ordered it and it came with it (I think his X6 is still at the dealer). However, you are correct, Adaptive Drive WAS required for this option so I'm not sure why it would not be required now.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #18
udmx6
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: X7, i3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by macd1995 View Post

Your CA doesn't know how to order your X6.
As you can see, I ordered AS alone and it is FREE.

3 Rear Seats option is $350. In my opinion, it is very very cheap.
I had a problem with rear seat belt on my 550i. The part was $600.

Quote:
Pex5 is claiming he ordered it and it came with it (I think his X6 is still at the dealer). However, you are correct, Adaptive Drive WAS required for this option so I'm not sure why it would not be required now.
AS is free option for 2013 X6s. I don't understand why they charge $4300 for both AD and AS, Dynamic Handling Package.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #19
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by udmx6 View Post
AS is free option for 2013 X6s. I don't understand why they charge $4300 for both AD and AS, Dynamic Handling Package.
Like I said, I suspect they have some extra units laying around and they need to burn them or it is a glitch that they may or may not fix. AS is not cheap and to include it free is pretty darn cool
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #20
JadeVetti
Bavarian Khaleesi
United_States
Rep
Drives: Waiting for the CS Concept

It all depends on what model, for I realized I wanted different things with different models.

Must have options for me (in an M)are:

The 3 seats option-HUGE deal breaker in my house and the reason why the X6 is now a GO

Keyless-wish they would just make this standard by now

I don't want to rely on cameras too much before I become insensitive; technology is great, but I need to remember that at the end of the day, I'm the one driving, and therefore not relying on the car to do that for me. That includes watching my own back, so to speak. Besides, it makes me a better driver.

With other models, the premium package is a must have.
      05-02-2012, 12:03 PM   #21
Nittany95
Rep

I notice that there aren't any black rim options. Love the Alpine White with black rims.

Sorry...I see it's an option on the X6M

Last edited by Nittany95; 05-03-2012 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2012, 01:53 PM   #22
TYMAH123
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 SAV

The one must have that I didn't get and regret it is the $150 space saving spare... the dealer wants close to $400 for that and it's a pain in the a$$ to travel to the dealer and wait for them to install it... I changed my run flats to Conti's DWS and hate not having a spare now.
Appreciate 0