XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

01-06-2015, 11:08 AM   #1
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Car

Under-18 drivers banned in Formula 1 from 2016

From FoxSports:

PARIS (AP) Formula One drivers will have to be at least 18 years old from 2016, motorsport's governing body announced on Tuesday.

The FIA's new rules, which aim to make it harder for inexperienced drivers to appear on the biggest stage, followed the Toro Rosso team's decision to hire 17-year-old Max Verstappen for this year's championship.
From 2016, drivers will also need to have accumulated a certain amount of points in other motorsports series over a three-year period, to have completed at least 80 percent of each of two full seasons in junior categories, and hold a valid road driver's license to become eligible for F1.
''The driver must be judged by the FIA to have consistently demonstrated outstanding ability in single-seater formula cars,'' FIA said.

Under the new super license points system adopted in December at a World Motor Sport Council in Doha, drivers will also need to successfully answer questions on F1 regulations. Their teams will need to prove that they have ''driven at least 300 kilometers in a representative Formula One car consistently at racing speeds over a maximum period of 2 days.''
Verstappen became the youngest driver to take part in an F1 Grand Prix weekend when he drove a Toro Rosso during a practice session at the Japanese Grand Prix last year, just three days after turning 17.
The Dutchman, whose father Jos Verstappen competed in 106 F1 races from 1994-2002, was more than two years younger than the previous record holder, Jaime Alguersuari, who was 19 years and 125 days when he contested the 2009 Hungarian Grand Prix.

Only five championships - IndyCar, the World Endurance Championship, the F3 European Championship, the GP2 Series and the Future Formula 2 - will provide the 40 points needed to apply for a super license in just one season - another safeguard against the arrival of inexperienced drivers in F1.
Verstappen finished third in last year's F3 championships and would therefore have been ineligible for a super license, even if he had been 18.
Once a license granted, debutants will ''be on probation for a period of 12 months during which the Super License will be held provisionally and subject to review at any time,'' FIA said.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 11:16 AM   #2
Damonsfast
Rep
Drives: M3, 911,

Intersting....
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 11:45 AM   #3
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
I see this as a good move by the FIA, making sure those who are in F1 have a certain driving standard and etiquette. Eliminating some paid drivers who just paid their way to F1. This might caught some damage to smaller teams.

But this could also force current Formula 1 Teams like RBR to invest a bit more resources to lower leagues to ensure their "Young Driver Program" works.
      01-11-2015, 07:46 AM   #4
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Why do you need a road driving license for formula1? That is a strange requirement.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 12:39 PM   #5
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros
Why do you need a road driving license for formula1? That is a strange requirement.
I think it's more about forcing drivers to have a road license for the requisite wheel-time and experience, not so much about the licensure itself.

I just re-read that, I hope I made sense!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 12:43 PM   #6
neilwilliams
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 116iSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
The FIA have various road safety campaigns and programmes which they expect F1 drivers to take part in. Perhaps they are also trying to avoid the rather obvious PR issue of someone who doesn't drive on public roads speaking on road safety.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2015, 12:54 PM   #7
954Stealth
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilwilliams
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petros View Post
The FIA have various road safety campaigns and programmes which they expect F1 drivers to take part in. Perhaps they are also trying to avoid the rather obvious PR issue of someone who doesn't drive on public roads speaking on road safety.
Lol yeah Allianz would frown upon that too
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2015, 01:59 AM   #8
ashtaron14
Major
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: G80 M3

They now dub this the "Verstappen" Rule, and he will forever hold the record for the Youngest F1 Driver ever.

I'm curious though, in 2016, if Verstappen didn't take the Driver's License test prior to renewing his SuperLicense, is he going to be defaulted? Or is the SuperLicense valid for a few years?
      01-13-2015, 03:52 PM   #9
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtaron14 View Post
They now dub this the "Verstappen" Rule, and he will forever hold the record for the Youngest F1 Driver ever.

I'm curious though, in 2016, if Verstappen didn't take the Driver's License test prior to renewing his SuperLicense, is he going to be defaulted? Or is the SuperLicense valid for a few years?
From what I read on the Sporting Regulation. Seems like every driver has to renew annually.

Quote:
4.1 All drivers, competitors and officials participating in the Championship must hold a FIA Super Licence. Applications for Super Licences must be made annually to the FIA through the applicant's ASN.
But I believe renewal are easier than new applicants.
      01-13-2015, 03:54 PM   #10
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Renewing my ASN FIA licence was simply "Did you have a licence last year?" Yes? Here is your new licence.

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 01-13-2015 at 04:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2015, 04:04 PM   #11
E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyMouseTech View Post
Renewing my ASN FIA licence was simply "Did you have a licence last year?" Yes? Here is your new licence.
Well, and also an undisclosed amount. A base fee plus an amount per championship point scored in previous year. Which rumored Button's 2009 superlicence fee was 1 million euro/pounds. Of course it was spare change for these F1 drivers.