XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

04-28-2012, 11:24 PM   #1
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Fast, very very fast...

Oil issues in an e70

So I just picked up an 08 4.8i with sport package. Took delivery less than a month ago. The dealer did an oil change before I took delivery and it's not due for another one for a bit. On the way home from work tonight my engine oil level light came on and the nav screen said engine oil level low. I checked it when I got home and it was at the minimum level so I threw in a quart of AmsOil, but I'm wondering if this is a normal thing or not. Do these engines burn oil like that or should I have the dealer check it out? There are no spots in my garage so I really don't think it's leaking. Also, while finding the proper place to put oil in I saw the other reservoir on the right that was labeled oil only. It is directly in front of the coolant reservoir. What is this??
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 06:03 AM   #2
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep

Really? Nobody has any experience with this one way or the other?
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 06:41 AM   #3
ironb
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 21 X3 M40i

Usually the point where oil is added is on top of the engine, make sure look inside the reservoir where your adding oil first. If there is a float or indicator inside the reservoir it's most likely the power steering or coolant reservoir. It could be burning oil or the dealer did not add enough oil when they changed the oil the last time. Most shops use machines that deliver a precise amount of oil, if there instruments are not calibrated correctly they could have added less. I would check your idrive screen and see what the car is reading for oil level. I usually check this periodically to make sure the oil level is fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 11:14 AM   #4
JLed79
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks. I did check that reservoir and it was full I added a quart to the engine at the fill point next to the dipstick. I did check the idrive and it said the oil level was okay.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
Dulechino
Rep
Drives: Bmw x5

The other reservoir is the power steering fluid.
Appreciate 0