XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos

05-03-2015, 05:21 PM   #1
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

"MIGHT" buy a 1990 MK3 Turbo Supra

So... I found a near mint, original owner 36k original miles, stick, turbo, all original no modifications mk3 Supra; at a undisclosed location for fear of fellow purchasing competition. I've owned MK2's and built a 1990 auto turbo for my wife about 10yrs ago. Had to sell hers b/c it needed some TLC work and we were college kids. I know everyone loves the MK4's after the F&F movie. However I never loved the look of the MK4. I was a kid of the 80's and 90's. The mk3 is the best looking of the Supras IMO. Love the front end of the MK3's. Guy is 74yrs old now selling it.... He's a bit high on the price vs what the car is actually worth. books for 6,200-10,000. A/C is broken and probably needs about $1,500 of work. Tires are 50% and old. I'm loving the idea of a totally stock iconic 80's MK3. Any fellow MK3 fans on here???
'07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, Macht Schnell Downpipes, 18" Staggered 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Dinan Oil Cooler, Dinan Intercooler, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Blend V1 mount, Llumar ATR Tint.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 06:27 PM   #2
buildbright
Major
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 MG

My friend has owned many. They are great cars but can be a hassle to work on at times. How much does he want?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 07:07 PM   #3
pukicabuki
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: something with 4 wheels

They're nice enough cars. They'll never have any significant kind of collectibility so don't buy it as any kind of investment.

Buy a truck load of head gaskets and enjoy the car!
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 07:29 PM   #4
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

Original post was $16k. Then he emailed me $14k. We talked some more and I was at 10k and he was at 12k. Tires are at 50% tread and the A/C does not work. he's taking it to the dealer tomorrow for an oil change and to get the car inspected and the A/C repair cost quoted. $10k is what NADA has for top retail value. $6,200 for low retail value. The $10k description states no mechanical problems or repairs. AC problems on those cars a a huge pain in the butt. Originally R12, to convert them you basically need to replace the compressor and some other parts. I've never been able to do a successful R134 conversion to a 80's R12 Toyota. I've tried on 3x. Waste of money. Then I'm finding out I have to pay 7% sales tax when I tag it in FL b/c it's coming from out of state.... keeps getting worse by the minute. I think with the broken AC and 50% tires $8-9k is more fair. Thoughts? (NO I'm not selling my 335i).
'07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, Macht Schnell Downpipes, 18" Staggered 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Dinan Oil Cooler, Dinan Intercooler, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Blend V1 mount, Llumar ATR Tint.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 08:52 PM   #5
pukicabuki
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: something with 4 wheels

As I mentioned before they don't really have a collectibility factory. He wants more than market value because he thinks its something special when it really isn't. I would say $8-9k is more than fair for that car with the issues it has. Granted, it is a low mileage car but that shouldn't have a huge impact on the price considering they're at the bottom of their depreciation curve.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2015, 09:07 PM   #6
MisterSkiMask
Banned
Rep
Drives: I Can not say

I've never been a fan personally, but you probably won't find a better one.

I have some automotive regrets, (not purchasing when affordable) these will go up some day. Get it, enjoy it.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2015, 06:51 PM   #7
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

^I think they will have collectability. I've been looking for a month and every MK3 is a POS. I saw a rust bucket go for $7k on Ebay. What are these people thinking!! 7-10k for a old POS + repairs, restoration you could buy a new M3 or good used 335i and life would be easier. MK3's are heavy big cars. I love the look of them. I had a MK2, actually two. I had a '84 and '85. Such fun cars to drive. the ergonomics are awesome. RWD. 5spd manuals... so much simple driving fun. But you get a 335i like mine or most on the board and it's a animal next to those cars from 30yrs ago. 335i's are so fast out of the box, with current R134 AC and other safety features... I bought my 335i b/c it was the "Supra replacement"; with 4 doors. I rather finish up my 335i and just maybe pass on the MK3 dream... I'm so busy as is. This rare Mk3 just randomly caught my attention one evening while putzing on the net and put me into mk3 search mode for a month and counting.

Last edited by fl335i; 05-04-2015 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 11:07 AM   #8
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

No go. I got undercarriage pics last night from the owner in CO. No rust, real clean. However there is a good size oil leak. He refuses to acknowledge the oil leak and told me it was undercoating, not oil. It was clearly oil. All over the bell housing. Clear as day in the pic. And he was supposed to get the dealer to check the a/c out and came back with no paper work and "they think it's a hose leak". And he would only come down to $11k. The AC probably needs a new compressor and evaporator plus any hoses that are leaking. I've been down the "converting R12 old Toyotas to R134" road before. Always ended in the same point. Spent a ton of money and still don't work, or work but don't work very well. Normally you have to do new lines, compressor and flush the evaporator and condenser. Replace every part except the two radiators is the idea. Cost you $2k just in parts. So between the oil leak, the unknown a/c problems and the fact I had to transport it 1,900 miles to FL, plus pay 7% sales tax when I tag it here in FL.... and his 11k price just didn't make sense to me. and this is all before I even get to go through the car and find other normal maintenance items and small items that would come up. NO thanks. I'll finish my 335i and count my money. I think the guy is not a hands on kind of guy and just has a lot of sentimental value in the car. A "mint" top retail car should not be leaking oil all the way back to the muffler and have no a/c.

Last edited by fl335i; 05-05-2015 at 07:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2015, 11:27 AM   #9
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl335i View Post
No go.
I'm sure you'll find another one if you want to go that route. I'd even go for one that needs more work for a reasonable price than an expensive one that you know for a certainty is looking at ~$3k in parts. No sense in trying to pursue a seller that is in denial.
      05-05-2015, 07:04 PM   #10
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

^exactly. Stinks to see the exact car I want go, but I can't pay him OVER what the car is worth, spend $1k trucking it, pay $1k in taxes and fly out there to get it and then have to dump 1-3k into the A/C and fix a unknown oil leak. What if the rear main seal is leaking? Guess what, clutch is soaked with oil. Now I have to do a clutch and rear main seal job. And after he denied the oil leak and called it undercoating with hi-res pics... just gave me a weird feeling. His car is worth about 7-8k.

3 weeks ago I saw a 9.5/10 one go in Orlando for 6.5k. Turbo, stick, leather and garaged original owner. With working a/c. And I saw a nice red on grey turbo stick on Ebay go for 7k with 1 bid. So there is not a HUGE following buying these cars up. They cost a lot up front and then there is a lot of money to keep putting into them. plus they really are not fast, even when turbo. the cars are massive and heavy. I still like the 89-92 MK3 though. I want one just to cruise around in with the Targa off. The supra have a true simple driving experience. Today's cars tell you put your seatbelt on, stop you from skidding, brake for you, wipe your backside for you.... not the supra. 3 pedals, wheel and a 5spd.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 03:47 PM   #11
Chefcg1
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

I had a 92, one of my favorite cars! the most comfortable seats of any car i've owned
2008 335i coupe AW 6AT, RB Turbos, PROcede 2.5 V5, Alpina Flash, Injen Intake, VK MW DP . Helix IC, Vishnu PnP Meth(M10 nozzel), M3 sides, OEM Aero Lip, VMR V710 Midnight Blue, LUX H8, HID Fogs, M3 front bits, D2 Coilovers, Whiteline Rear Bushing inserts, Custom M3 Steering Wheel, Cyba scoops, M2 Performance Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2015, 04:09 PM   #12
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep

^^^ AGREED!!! Very good seating positions in the supra.
Appreciate 0