XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

03-07-2023, 12:06 PM   #1
gadgetfreak23
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i M-Sport

Any remaining N63 service programs or recalls?

Hi. I have been googling around, but to no avail in terms of conclusiveness. I have a 2011 X5 50i with the N63 engine. I unfortunately missed the various class action suits -- just wasn't aware nor looking. I did have the dealership do the customer service program a bunch of years ago, but I never had the oil consumption test done, nor gotten free oil or oil changes.

My engine is now in the massive consumption phase, with me needing to put oil in probably every 300-500 miles, and with the burning smell and smoke. I've got about 105k miles.

I decided to call BMW last night and they told me that as of about a year and a half ago, I'm out of luck. No outstanding programs...

It sucks that I have such a lemon engine for an otherwise enjoyable car. But before I just accept that as fact, I figured I'd ask this community if there are any programs, recalls or suits that people are aware of that I should look into... Or am I a day late and many dollars (spent on oil) short? Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 12:12 PM   #2
cayx5
Rep
Drives: 2012 X5 5.0i

If you already did the customer care package then you already did what was available at the time. Unless your car was experiencing excess oil consumption back then there would not have been anything BMW would have done for you regarding the valve stem seals; which I suspect are the culprit of your current oil consumption and smoking. If the smoking just started try Liquid Moly Motor Oil Saver. Pour 2 cans into oil and drive for a few hundred miles. If that doesn't eliminate the smoking try 10-60 motor oil. My indy BMW shop uses that for engines that are smoking.
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2023, 12:24 PM   #3
gadgetfreak23
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i M-Sport

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it was experiencing the excess consumption back then. I will try the Liquid Moly product and maybe that will help. And then fall back to the 10W-60. Appreciate the advice.
Appreciate 0