XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

11-14-2020, 06:37 PM   #1
bmwpower603
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 m3 coupe 08 e90 M3

X5 M engine questions

I am currently in the middle of replacing the valve covers, as well as water pump, and any seals that I can get to.

Is it possible to remove the turbos, and the exhaust manifold. WITHOUT removing exhaust. (Bolts are pretty rusty where the cats meet the exhaust.) I was going to try and replace all the turbo lines, and the oil return lines / cover gasket.

I’ve made it this far. And have not yet removed the cowlings. ISTA -D did not even mention removing it to replace the valve covers. They absolutely need to be removed.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I’m pretty experienced when it comes to engine work. And this engine is a real challenge to work on. I’ve worked on B5 s4s, m62, s65, N62... Nothing compares to this.

I will upload some pictures soon.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 07:38 PM   #2
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

You don’t need to remove the exhaust. The stock downpipe (cat) has a flex section to push it out of the way to remove the turbo. There’s 2 bolt each downpipe that need to remove behind the cylinder head.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 12:25 AM   #3
bmwpower603
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwinSnailz View Post
You don’t need to remove the exhaust. The stock downpipe (cat) has a flex section to push it out of the way to remove the turbo. There’s 2 bolt each downpipe that need to remove behind the cylinder head.
This car is a bitch. That’s why I love it.

I was looking to remove the wiring harness out of the way completely. But there is a wire that goes over the a/c compressor, which eventually plugs into the knock sensors. I removed this knock sensor connectors, in the hope that I could fish it through make the car tidy instead of shit everywhere. Couldn’t get that through. There’s also the same thing on the drivers side. Might be able to get that one worked through. But have not attempted it.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 05:13 PM   #4
bmwpower603
Lieutenant
Rep

I have come to the point where I need to make a decision whether or not I should remove the turbos and replace lines and oil return lines cover gasket.

Am I able to access the cover with the turbos removed? Will the cats flex out of the way enough to have enough room?

Here’s pics

I’m not sure if this is coolant from previous leaks. It appears that is the case.

Appreciate 0
      11-15-2020, 06:08 PM   #5
TwinSnailz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5//M

That is a mess. You’ve gotten very far, might as well lift the turbo out and clean up under while you’re at it.
Then the exhaust manifold. With this remove you can inspect the exhaust head to manifold gasket. They tend to leak with black smoke flares if it is leaking.

Remember to remove the turbo oil drain from the block and not from the turbo side. It will take some wiggling due to the crud buildup from the looks of it.
Appreciate 0