XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

01-12-2022, 01:47 PM   #1
g-rex
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi allroad (prev 330ci)

Looking for an E70 4.8 project

Been a long while since I've been here. Stepped away to the Audi world for a while (still have it, but ready to jump back into BMW).

I've decided I want to pick up an X5 4.8 project. Besides the main things I've read about including coolant pipe, alternator brackets and holes, etc, tell me what I don't know. I've searched the forum a fair bit, watched even more Youtube, and I'm still not scared away.

For background, I'm a competent mechanic on my own stuff, do all my own work, just finished pulling the engine in my Audi allroad to rebuild the engine thanks to Audi's poor oil ring design. That is done and she's back on the road now good as ever. I'm no stranger to spinning wrenches, enjoy it, and like the challenge. Doing the Audi rebuild reminded me that I wanted to get my hands greasy again, so the X5 has checked off all the boxes.

I know if I find one that needs a rebuild, the engine more than likely needs to come out the bottom. I'm equipped at home to do that.

So, knowing that I have embraced the headache I am potentially embarking on, what else should I know, besides the obvious hazing that will be coming my way. I'll of course document fully any rebuild efforts for everyone's benefit.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2022, 01:57 PM   #2
Sophisticated Redneck
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 50i

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-rex View Post
Been a long while since I've been here. Stepped away to the Audi world for a while (still have it, but ready to jump back into BMW).

I've decided I want to pick up an X5 4.8 project. Besides the main things I've read about including coolant pipe, alternator brackets and holes, etc, tell me what I don't know. I've searched the forum a fair bit, watched even more Youtube, and I'm still not scared away.

For background, I'm a competent mechanic on my own stuff, do all my own work, just finished pulling the engine in my Audi allroad to rebuild the engine thanks to Audi's poor oil ring design. That is done and she's back on the road now good as ever. I'm no stranger to spinning wrenches, enjoy it, and like the challenge. Doing the Audi rebuild reminded me that I wanted to get my hands greasy again, so the X5 has checked off all the boxes.

I know if I find one that needs a rebuild, the engine more than likely needs to come out the bottom. I'm equipped at home to do that.

So, knowing that I have embraced the headache I am potentially embarking on, what else should I know, besides the obvious hazing that will be coming my way. I'll of course document fully any rebuild efforts for everyone's benefit.
4.8 E70 is pretty rare so not many people here will be able to help you with the N62 engine, ESS tunning may be able to help you with it if your dead set on that engine as they used to tune them.. If you really like a challenge, get a 50i instead. You can pick them up fully loaded cheaper then a 35i as everyone is afraid of their engines. I picked up a 2012 50i loaded with every possible option dirt cheap. Tuned it to M power levels, now at 175k miles and still going strong. Just be ready to turn some wrenches, which is sounds like you are

Last edited by Sophisticated Redneck; 01-13-2022 at 02:04 PM..
Appreciate 0