XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

09-21-2011, 06:06 PM   #1
Garcia_f24
Private
Rep
Drives: Range Rover SVR — X5M (

Advice for future X6 owner

Hi everyone, I recently moved back to Canada from California and decided to get a suv. I test drove the range rover sport supercharged and the X6 35i.
I decoded to go with BMW, but after looking at used x6s I saw that I could get a 2010 X6m with 20k kilometers and a x6 50i with 15k for about the same price as a new x6 35i.
So my question Is, should I just get a brand new car? Should I go used and get more car for my money? Both used cats are BMW certified and come with warranty for 3 Years.
Ist difference between 35i and 50i noticeable? In terms of performance and gas consumption?
Any advice is appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 02:47 AM   #2
wasabi
Enlisted Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F93 M8C

My opinion is if you are coming out from a 335i Coupe, an X6 50i is the least to get. I had the chance to test drive the 50i and the M version recently and to be honest, the M is a beast! Grab one if you can and you won't regret this.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #3
Dude-
Rep
Drives: X6M

A new X6 35 is nice but believe me, the 50 and M are two totally different animals. The M would be my choice but keep in mind that if you are concern with gas mileage, it may not be the car for you. All the x6 models are great but like all cars, tire selection is key for snowy regions.
My personal opinion and this is only for me. I live in ny where there are four seasons. I got sick of having sports cars because the roads stink and you can't drive it 3 months out of the year not counting rainy days. I purchased an M because I get the best of all worlds, a 4x4 for snow and bad weather, that is tall, handles like an sports car, faster than most so call sports cars, have room for passengers, bla bla bla. If I dont feel like driving aggressively, just press the M to disable M mode and it feels like any other SUV with great handling. Im sure the 50 is pretty much the same.
If you are looking to make a decision on one of the three, it really will depend on the purpose and what you expect as the driving experience for each model.

I know, I just messed you up again. Good luck.

A certified car is good as new. Do a flash on the M and it will take a very special driver with a tricked out car to beat you.

Last edited by Dude-; 09-22-2011 at 12:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 07:20 PM   #4
Rygel XXV
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6M

Agreed with the Dude

I was nodding in agreement with a lot of what he wrote. Although I live in sunny Northern California, we head to Lake Tahoe a fair bit for ski season. Plus our roads are getting worse, and with no government money for infrastructure, I expect that will not change while I have this car.

If you're still deciding which engine to get, I'd also mention that I got the 35i engine for somewhat practical purposes- I liked the better fuel mileage and handling from being lighter, and I got a Dinan Stage 1 for when I want to go fast(-er) in a straight line. No, not the same league as the 50 or the M, but certainly enough to satisfy my needs, although I think the V8 does sound awesome and that aspect can't be duplicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude- View Post
A new X6 35 is nice but believe me, the 50 and M are two totally different animals. The M would be my choice but keep in mind that if you are concern with gas mileage, it may not be the car for you. All the x6 models are great but like all cars, tire selection is key for snowy regions.
My personal opinion and this is only for me. I live in ny where there are four seasons. I got sick of having sports cars because the roads stink and you can't drive it 3 months out of the year not counting rainy days. I purchased an M because I get the best of all worlds, a 4x4 for snow and bad weather, that is tall, handles like an sports car, faster than most so call sports cars, have room for passengers, bla bla bla. If I dont feel like driving aggressively, just press the M to disable M mode and it feels like any other SUV with great handling. Im sure the 50 is pretty much the same.
If you are looking to make a decision on one of the three, it really will depend on the purpose and what you expect as the driving experience for each model.

I know, I just messed you up again. Good luck.

A certified car is good as new. Do a flash on the M and it will take a very special driver with a tricked out car to beat you.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2011, 11:55 PM   #5
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Tesla Model X P90DL

Garage List
///M!!!
Forget the milage, it's not all that different
I get 23mpg on freeway
not bad for 555Hp
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2011, 11:53 AM   #6
Mike van D
Major
Germany
Rep
Drives: SG X6 35i; MW e92 M3

35i is great for a DD. No issues what so ever with mine and a joy to drive. But as others have stated, can't go wrong with the ///M if you're looking for more of a kick.
      09-28-2011, 01:53 PM   #7
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

I have a 35i and as much as I would love to own the M version of my baby, I think because I live in NY, where most of the time traffic is only moving 10mph, if I did spend the money on the ///M but wasn't able to enjoy it, it would have turned out to be a waste of money and I would be pissed...!

I believe it really boils down to what your driving habbits and daily commute will be like if you are using it for an everyday car. If it's gonna be your weekend toy, go for the M, without a doubt! If your commute is anything like mine the 50i will do you just fine.

if you want to go brand new, wait a couple more years cause when it gets the facelift and you only had a brand new one for about two years, you may be disappointed... my opinion.

Whatever you decide to drive, have fun and be safe!
      09-29-2011, 11:46 AM   #8
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Personally I went with the 50 for two reasons
1. The sound of the V8
2. The availability of Active Steering
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 09:12 AM   #9
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Personally I went with the 50 for two reasons
1. The sound of the V8
2. The availability of Active Steering
I can agree. I do like the growl of the V8.
My '09 X6 35i has the active steering as well
      10-04-2011, 09:18 AM   #10
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreyATC View Post
///M!!!
Forget the milage, it's not all that different
I get 23mpg on freeway
not bad for 555Hp
LIES!!! LIES!!!!! LIES!!!!!!

My friends make jokes about what my avg MPG will be when they get in the car... It rarely goes above 10. A lot of city driving and traffic on the LIE. But seriously though... be honest.. MAYBE 23 KPG... def not MPG. Be lucky to get those numbers with the Hybrid.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 09:31 AM   #11
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
LIES!!! LIES!!!!! LIES!!!!!!

My friends make jokes about what my avg MPG will be when they get in the car... It rarely goes above 10. A lot of city driving and traffic on the LIE. But seriously though... be honest.. MAYBE 23 KPG... def not MPG. Be lucky to get those numbers with the Hybrid.
You are absolutely right about that. That is why i mentioned using the car as a daily commuter, or just something to have fun with on the weekends. Driving on the LIE everyday with am "M" anything must be rough. The X6 M would be a total waste of money in that situation. My X6 35i is getting 14-16 mpg in that situation. Just imagine the M version...

Don't get me wrong, I WOULD love to own one of those, it's just not practical for what I would use it for.
      10-04-2011, 10:25 AM   #12
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well my a-few-months average MPG is 18
23 i get when i'm cruising on the highway at around 55-60mph
NY has low speed limit, plus when i go on 100-200mil trip i want my toddler son to get enough sleep while we're driving
So i'm not in the rush in this situation and my car does get 23
Once my M sees 70mph+ it drops to 20-21mpg

P.S. I normally get 350-380mil per tank with few gallons left in it
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 10:39 AM   #13
NYCGP
WTF are you looking at?
Rep
Drives: Bandwagon

Quote:
NY has low speed limit, plus when i go on 100-200mil trip i want my toddler son to get enough sleep while we're driving

You realize you are talking about getting roughly 30% better fuel economy than manufacturers estimates?

I realize I have a heavy foot. But never getting below the high end of the estimates is extremely hard to fathom. It means you would have to almost never drive in traffic. It's amazing as long as you realize when compared to the rest of the population you are an extreme outlier.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #14
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
You realize you are talking about getting roughly 30% better fuel economy than manufacturers estimates?

I realize I have a heavy foot. But never getting below the high end of the estimates is extremely hard to fathom. It means you would have to almost never drive in traffic. It's amazing as long as you realize when compared to the rest of the population you are an extreme outlier.
Nobody believed my 35mpg on 335i either
EPA was 26 on that car

And my 2001 330Ci was getting 37 if i really wanted

Keep in mind, these numbers are on the high end
It means i was really trying to accomplish those

Normally it would be a bit lower
Attached Images

Last edited by AndreyATC; 10-04-2011 at 10:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #15
Rygel XXV
Private
Rep
Drives: 2014 X6M

Quote:

What the what???

My 35i only rarely goes above 320 miles/tank, usually if I've been doing a lot of freeway driving. On Nor Cal freeways, I typically cruise at around 80. I get that if I drove slower, I could get better mileage, but I simply can't resist mashing the pedal. Maybe my wife and I should have a kid to lighten my foot, because the dogs don't seem to be slowing me down.

And with a Dinan Stage 2 flash very likely to get added by the end of the month, I have a feeling my mileage will get worse...
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #16
WWONG
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW X5 xDrive35d

Used cars have semen on them. Just sayin'
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2011, 05:00 PM   #17
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I use M button a lot, but i dont floor my right foot all the time
If i did that, i'd have my license suspended in hours
When i'm on the highway, it takes just brief tap on the right pedal to pass 18-wheeler with the M button on
If i keep it floored a tad longer, i'd be in 120-130mph range
This thing just takes ooooooofff, no matter which speed your going

When i'm in a rush and use every moment to pass everyone, so i do get much lower MPG, close to 18
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 09:15 AM   #18
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

I am sure the ///M is awsome to drive on roads like the 95, 87 or the Palisades and would love to test drive it on those roads... and I would also expect to get pulled over frequently, lol. But if your commute is on roads like the LIE, belt PKWY or BQE, it just ain't worth the money you would have paid for it, IMHO

With my tuned 35i, i get decent mileage within the boroughs, with enough power to have some fun when traffic opens up, I just feel that if I owned the M version, i would be disappointed cause I wouldn't be able to play with it out here.
      10-06-2011, 11:10 AM   #19
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thank god i moved out of Brooklyn
I have much more fun on winding roads (during commute) and US-84 on weekends
And i do get challenged once in a while on the highway
It's nice to see the "contender" through your rear windshield, especially when you losing them going long uphill
This happens to pretty much everyone who dares

P.S. You dont even wanna try me from the stop light
I'll murder you without even using launch controll
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 02:45 PM   #20
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
Thank god i moved out of Brooklyn
I have much more fun on winding roads (during commute) and US-84 on weekends
And i do get challenged once in a while on the highway
It's nice to see the "contender" through your rear windshield, especially when you losing them going long uphill
This happens to pretty much everyone who dares

P.S. You dont even wanna try me from the stop light
I'll murder you without even using launch controll
Are you Serious!?!?! You got people challenging you when they see the X6 M? Did you de-badge it or something? I gotta ask, what are they challenging you with?
I have a tuned 35i and the only "challenge" that gave me a hard time was a Range Rover Sport (not sure if it was turbo charged or not) but once i used the paddle shifters on him, I took the lead. The only person that over took me after about 100 feet or so was my home boy with his charger hemi with NOS but I had the lead on him before we hit the far end of about 100 ft.
I can't imagine too many cars out there that can over take an X6 M with 555 hp and if I'm not mistaken, I think I read earlier that you chipped your car as well. Stay safe on the road my man and enjoy all those ponies!!

P.S. Sorry OP, it may seem like you have been thread jacked but trust me, it was not intentional. We are all just BMW enthusiasts who enjoy talking about one of the things we all have a passion for
      10-06-2011, 03:45 PM   #21
AndreyATC
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I mentioned chipping as additional advatage, but i'm personally stock
Probably will stay stock for a while as it feels it has more than enough power
As for debadging, no i keep my lovely "///M" sign on the back
I dont believe in de-badging
However, not that many people actually "understand" what X6 is, let alone M version
Plus, not every challenger sees your back either, before you start
But from the short list of cars worth mentioning were:
SRT8, STi, G37, RR sport, new E-class MB (not sure which) i didnt see his back, only quickly disappearing front
Rest was a joke
Civics, mustangs, etc

Last edited by AndreyATC; 10-06-2011 at 03:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #22
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep

Quote:
I mentioned chipping as additional advatage, but i'm personally stock
Probably will stay stock for a while as it feels it has more than enough power
As for debadging, no i keep my lovely "///M" sign on the back
I dont believe in de-badging
However, not that many people actually "understand" what X6 is, let alone M version
Plus, not every challenger sees your back either, before you start
But from the short list of cars worth mentioning were:
SRT8, STi, G37, RR sport, new E-class MB (not sure which) i didnt see his back, only quickly disappearing front
Rest was a joke
Civics, mustangs, etc
Nice... i'm jealous. I want one. To be honest, I talk alot about gas mileage and gas conservation with my 35i, but since i been driving the X6, (my first BMW) I have been made aware of what the perfromance of the ///M really means. I am already saving my pennies so when the X6 gets a makeover, and I like what I see, my trade up WILL have an M badge on it! Can't wait.... lol
Show 'em what you got my man. I'm a big bimmer fan, so I like when guys like you put those other guys in their place. behind you. Me personally have never been into American Muscle, to each his own of course, but when guys try to tell me about my V6 engine i get a lil frustrated cause my chipped V6 puts out more hp and torque that most of those guys' V8's if you know what I mean.