XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X5 Forums > General BMW X5 (E70) and X5M Forum (2006-2013)

02-03-2014, 07:31 PM   #23
Draper
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp / Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by rennis View Post
condition and age is a factor. I got caught in a surprise snow storm in Montana last October. Mountain pass, a few inches of snow, and I just took it easy and it did fine. Tires were practically new, however.

I've driven it 3 times in snow on the 'Stones and had no problems. I would excercise caution, but I don't think they're as bad as some people are making them out to be.
I remember last year in my M3 I still had the summers on in October and we got a cold snap for a few days (maybe 35 deg in the am). Roads were bone dry, and I was driving in my normal (we'll say spirited) fashion, and came around a corner to a light where I had to stop somewhat suddenly. Thankfully I was able to stop in time, but in the moment it felt like I was on black ice. It's seriously surprising how much traction you can lose when the temps drop.

Ultimately if you are cautious, realize you have limited traction and drive accordingly you may be fine, but you cannot account for other drivers or other situations where the difference of 10-20 feet of braking could result in an outcome you cannot undo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z3grape View Post
I have a 2013 x5 with the m-sport with 20" wheels - you can buy 20 inch staggered winter tire on the 20 wheels - i have Pirellliis snow sports on mine and they stick like glue to the road. Great in snow. Highly recommended. I live in MN and the winter has been brutal this year but driving my X has been pure bliss. I actually bought a second set of 333 wheels to put the dedicated winter tires on.
Exactly, the staggered 20s have tons of choice in non-summer tires. The OP hasn't stated which wheels he has, so I was just pointing out that the options for the 19s are limited.

Last edited by Draper; 02-03-2014 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2014, 10:18 PM   #24
Sylvan Lake V35
Vanilla Gorrilla
Canada
Rep
Drives: X5M & X5 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35 View Post
trade them right away for a set of conti DWS, great all season tire. You should do "ok" if you are trading brand new run flats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3985 View Post
Hate to split hairs but OEM Bridgestone 20" *summer* run flats are absolutely horrible in the snow and should not be used in temps less than 45-50F. Regardless of being brand new or used, the tread and compound cannot handle any snow.
My post you quoted had nothing to do with what you're talking about I am not sure if you are still trying to figure out how to use the quote button or you're just really confused

Not to mention in post 6 I had already said they are brutal in the winter

Quote:
They are brutal.....Brindgstones web site even says not to drive with them below freezing temps. I tried it for a week and it was sketchy, really sketchy.

Last edited by Sylvan Lake V35; 02-03-2014 at 10:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2014, 07:17 AM   #25
n3985
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylvan Lake V35
Quote:
trade them right away for a set of conti DWS, great all season tire. You should do "ok" if you are trading brand new run flats.
Quote:
Originally Posted by n3985 View Post
Hate to split hairs but OEM Bridgestone 20" *summer* run flats are absolutely horrible in the snow and should not be used in temps less than 45-50F. Regardless of being brand new or used, the tread and compound cannot handle any snow.
My post you quoted had nothing to do with what you're talking about I am not sure if you are still trying to figure out how to use the quote button or you're just really confused

Not to mention in post 6 I had already said they are brutal in the winter

Quote:
They are brutal.....Brindgstones web site even says not to drive with them below freezing temps. I tried it for a week and it was sketchy, really sketchy.
Yes I misread what you typed, I thought you said the OP would be ok in the snow on new OEM summer tires. Oops...

Also you can ninja edit but the email notification sends the original message I maybe a noob as you called to X5 world so I'll just have to double check everything from now on
Appreciate 0